Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black '17 GT
Vehicle Showcase
After hearing about 1.4 million Ford vehicles being recalled I remembered several weeks ago in my 2017 Mustang GT my steering wheel suddenly came loose as well.

My local Ford dealership told me I would have to wait a week before getting an available appointment so I had fixed the issue myself.

The bolt was loose and there was virtually no factory locktite.

I am posting this because there are more issues beyond the recalled vehicles. I filed with the NHTSA as well.

[ame]
Sponsored

5.0-50A

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Phil
Vehicle(s)
2015 50th Anniversary WW STICK
That bolt is on national backorder so whatever y'all do, don't overtighten and snao it off! no clear eta either, best guess from parts is 3/30 :( also comes in pack of 4 minimum, luckily they're only a couple bucks each. I would not put any locktite on it if you plan on changing the wheel, seeing how weak it is, probably by design in case of catastrophic smashola.

MasterCylinder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(sold)17 GT
Sheet!
If any locktite the blue isn't so bad but if you think it might be too much then look for the purple stuff.

OP
OP
Lethal5.0

Lethal5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black '17 GT
Vehicle Showcase
That bolt is on national backorder so whatever y'all do, don't overtighten and snao it off! no clear eta either, best guess from parts is 3/30 :( also comes in pack of 4 minimum, luckily they're only a couple bucks each. I would not put any locktite on it if you plan on changing the wheel, seeing how weak it is, probably by design in case of catastrophic smashola.
My girlfriend's dad recommended I tighten it and put red locktite on... guess that was a bad idea. What moves should I make?

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2006 Infiniti G35X
My girlfriend's dad recommended I tighten it and put red locktite on... guess that was a bad idea. What moves should I make?
:frusty:

Red loctite is designed to need heat to remove it.

I would just leave it at this point, no reason to worry about it unless you plan on changing out your steering wheel at some point. If you didn't put alot on you may be able to get it loose but I wouldn't count on it.

Sponsored

5.0-50A

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Phil
Vehicle(s)
I wouldn't worry about it. If/when it comes time to change the wheel and now you know it snaps off then drill and use an extractor. But whatever you do order and get the baggie of bolts first! :D
The extras am going to store with the original wheel in case someday goes back to stock. Once they get here at least. argh. haha
IMG_1471.JPG

Last edited:

JKMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GTPP
I wouldn't worry about it. If/when it comes time to change the wheel and now you know it snaps off then drill and use an extractor. But whatever you do order and get the baggie of bolts first! :D
The extras am going to store with the original wheel in case someday goes back to stock. Once they get here at least. argh. haha
Did you steal those photos from my phone???

I did the exact same thing 2 weeks ago. Ordered in the replacement bolts (package comes with 5). I reinstalled, but didn't torque, so I'll probably pull it all off again and torque it properly.

5.0-50A

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Phil
Vehicle(s)
Did you steal those photos from my phone???

I did the exact same thing 2 weeks ago. Ordered in the replacement bolts (package comes with 5). I reinstalled, but didn't torque, so I'll probably pull it all off again and torque it properly.
Ooh can I buy one bolt!

I’m thinking these may be use once and discard item. Like they stretch once torqued on install so might be taking a risk if reuse? I removed the wheel a second time because had to redo one of the spring clips for the horn. It was the third retighten when it snapped.

Coyote Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Vehicle(s)
2016 5.0 Coyote Red
Vehicle Showcase
Mercy, these recalls for the American 3 are not impressive. Thank's for the thread.

thehunterooo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Corvette
Wow that is crazy. Mine came loose but it was because I did not tighten it to spec when I installed my 350 wheel. I drove around for a week or so before I had time to tighten it and it has been fine since.

Sponsored

5.0-50A

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Phil
Vehicle(s)
What is the torque spec on this bolt?
honestly, no clue as no svc manual and was winging it. I put the new one on like a spark plug "just so". the new bolts come with a spot of thread locker.
Got it! Can’t wait to drive with new wheel
IMG_1515.JPG
IMG_E1516.JPG
IMG_1518.JPG

Last edited:

Rod Schneider

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rod
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EcoBoost
The steering wheel bolt torque is 35 ft/lbs per the factory service manual.