Sponsored

anyone have/know someone w/kidney transplant?

Robertscz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
'17 350 white/blue ott
hello, about a year ago i was sent to the hospital w/kidney failure. i had no idea this was happening, i am young (36) and otherwise SOOO healthy. since then i have been undergoing dialysis 3x/week, and although it sucks the life out of u, at least i still have a life. my fiance is in her final stages of testing to be a donor and we are hoping this will take place in the next few months.

is anyone out there a kidney transplant recipient, or know of someone who has and can share their story here? the positive from this is everyone that i come in cantact with seems to know somebody who has had this done and the next thing out of their mouth is "they are doing just fine". its amazing what medically we can do now and there is great hope this will turn out just fine, but it is refreshing and uplifting to hear stories as well. thank you
Sponsored

OP
OP

Robertscz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
'17 350 white/blue ott
When i was younger a friend of my mom had a kidney failure and few years later he had a kidney transplant and he are fine now. Here in Quebec/Canada healtcare is free so waiting is long for this kind of transplant. It been more than 15 years and still alive with no other problems.

2-3 years ago a friend of mine involved in a accident and lost a kidney(and other broken parts) he's now living with only one and he's fine. He still have a normal living.
yeah, canada is good becuase its free but bad because you do have to wait so long. praying that my fiance passes her last tests and we will be good to go within a few weeks. and very good to hear its been 15 years!!

i've read studies that when you disclude people who die with a functioning transplant because of a different issue, the average length that a living transplant kidney lasts is 39 years... so thats some good stuff

Fordever

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/CS Convertible
yeah, canada is good becuase its free but bad because you do have to wait so long. praying that my fiance passes her last tests and we will be good to go within a few weeks. and very good to hear its been 15 years!!

i've read studies that when you disclude people who die with a functioning transplant because of a different issue, the average length that a living transplant kidney lasts is 39 years... so thats some good stuff
I am in Canada...not sure about the waiting a looooooooong time, buy anyway.....

My wife's cousin lost use of his kidneys and his brother donated one. He was fine for a year, but the antirejection drugs caused complications. Apparently the kidney was so compatible, a lesser dose of the drug was needed and the doctors didn't realize it until it was too late....Back on dialysis

A year later his sister donated...that was 7-8 years ago and he has been well ever since.

The only reason the second donation took a year was for the patient to become strong enough to go thru a second kidney transplant.

My thoughts are with you. The medical field has jumped by leaps and bounds over the past few years. I am confident all will work out well for you.

Bob_Whit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Hi
Apparently, my family has a disposition for this, both of my brothers have had transplants. I'm not allowed to donate because I have the same problem, I have to keep an eye on my blood pressure.

Nowadays the operation isn't as big a deal as it was in the 90's, it doesn't clobber you.

Good luck to you & your girlfriend.

OP
OP

Robertscz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
'17 350 white/blue ott
Hi
Apparently, my family has a disposition for this, both of my brothers have had transplants. I'm not allowed to donate because I have the same problem, I have to keep an eye on my blood pressure.

Nowadays the operation isn't as big a deal as it was in the 90's, it doesn't clobber you.

Good luck to you & your girlfriend.

Can I ask how your brothers are doing and how long they have had their transplants? Were they from living or deceased donors?

And yes, the actually surgery is very "simple" in today's medical world, it's the immunosuppressive theropy that is of the biggest concern... Often times the patient is transplanted and out of the hospital in 2 days which is amazing... There is also and artificial kidney that is in final stages of testing and should be mainstream within a few years.. Very encouraging things medically are happening every day.

Sponsored

Bob_Whit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Robertscz
Both donors were family members, I was tested & that's how I found out I have the same tendencies.

My first brother had his transplant in the late 80's, from our younger sister, he's fine & just retired from his work at 62. My other brother, the youngest had his in the late 90's, from our cousin, & he's doing fine.

I live in a different state but I believe their monthly meds are pretty expensive, I can't quite remember.

DRU842

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ecoboost Lightning Blue
My wife's cousin received a transplant kidney a few years back. All has gone well after the balancing of the rejection meds and regular check ups. The best comment I can give you is from her: "I didn't realize how sick I was until I'm as well as I am now".
BTW there is a push here in Australia for organ donation to be 'opt out' rather than the current system of 'opting in' and relative being able to go against a donors wishes. I think Spain has gone the opt out route and I'm interested in how other countries are handling the donation issue.

OP
OP

Robertscz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
'17 350 white/blue ott
My wife's cousin received a transplant kidney a few years back. All has gone well after the balancing of the rejection meds and regular check ups. The best comment I can give you is from her: "I didn't realize how sick I was until I'm as well as I am now".
BTW there is a push here in Australia for organ donation to be 'opt out' rather than the current system of 'opting in' and relative being able to go against a donors wishes. I think Spain has gone the opt out route and I'm interested in how other countries are handling the donation issue.

Everyone I have talked to who's had one says the same thing... I think I feel now going to treatment but they say once u wake up from the surgery u literally want to start running laps around the hospital.... Can't wait....

Still trying to find a live donor, Tampa general is being a pain in my ass, had 2 young healthy people denied last minute... Taking them both to a different hospital while some others still testing at Tampa..

Thank you guys for the comments, I found a great article that lists average life of new kidney as 38 years once you factor out the people who die from a different cause while the transplanted kidney is still working. That's pretty amazing. Also a new implantable one is in the process of being tested on humans and should be ready to go mainstream in a few years without the need for immunosuppressives.

Keep the good stories coming it lifts me up for sure in what can be a very hard/depressing time

offcamber

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Magnetic GT - Premium/PP
I have a friend who gave a kidney to her son about 3yrs ago. Both are healthy and happy!
All the best to you!
God's speed.
Sponsored