Sponsored

MY18 REVIEWS: The thread to put the press/owner reviews of MY18

Toecutter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Has anyone spotted any specs relating to the diff ratio for the 2018 manual

With the new manual box being a wide ratio box I'm hoping we will now get the 3.7 ratio (same a PP1 in USA) rather than the 3.5 (standard GT in USA) that's been the norm for all export manuals so far
My window sticker has 3.55 ratio down for the manual but also has a reference to standard equipment may not apply to non US markets.
Sponsored

marks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Race Red Manual
Some like to be more engaged than just mashing the acceleration pedal, horses for courses. That's what differentiates us from your average Audi TT driver, where the RS will hit 100mph quicker than the stang, 10 speed or not.

MrWolf

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
MY2018 Magnetic Auto GT
My window sticker has 3.55 ratio down for the manual but also has a reference to standard equipment may not apply to non US markets.
I believe that if its not 3.55, the 3.55 would not be listed in the standard and the change will be in optional (basically, I believe both auto and manual come with 3.55s)

OP
OP
Gibbo205

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
UK 2015 Mustang & BMW E46 M3
I believe that if its not 3.55, the 3.55 would not be listed in the standard and the change will be in optional (basically, I believe both auto and manual come with 3.55s)
US manual is torsen 3.73 in PP
UK manual is traction lok 3.55 in PP :(

On last gen this was fine as gear spacing was closer, now a 3.55 on the new manual will be very long gearing, not great for acceleration and fun when you can do a country road in just one gear. Great however for those adding blowers.

UK auto I believe is now 3.55 torsen, whereas before it was 3.55 traction lok. The torsen is superior LSD.

So those saying drivers car is a manual, well I'd disagree.

The automatic now has torsen, super close gear ratio's so flick it into manual mode and you will be flipping between 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th on the paddles, quite interactive.

Whereas the manual, just leave it in 2nd and 3rd.

I can see how having a 3rd pedal and a stick takes more skill, but does it make it more a drivers car than a good automatic on paddles? I don't think so to be honest.

Last time I checked an automatic does not steer for you, it does not counter steer, it does not apply the throttle or dis-engage the throttle, those are still done by the human and are very much the core of car control. You still have to brake for yourself. For me I find the only real dis-advantage of an auto is if your into drifting and driving a car seriously hard, so you can do clutch kicks or go down a gear before you should, some like this but I'd never personally want to over-rev an engine.

I think people who claim automatics are not drivers cars have not driven a good responsive automatic on paddles, OK the A6 is not that responsive, but its still fun and it still gets the job done. The A10 is a little quicker and you have more gears to flick between making it more fun.

The Camaro I drove had 8 gears, 6th was 1:1 and on the mountain roads I would find myself going through 2nd, 3rd, 4th and into 5th and the main driving aspect was keeping the car straight and not falling of a cliff into the sea. It was quite enjoyable, the only annoyance was like the A6 if you hit the change up on the limiter the car just sits buzzing the limiter for what feels like an eternity. A good euro auto just bangs the next gear in!

Agreed if you get an auto an drive a country road hard in D, then I guess you could argue that is less of a driving experience, but on paddles you still need to be in right gear and you still need to change gear. You just use only your hands instead of your foot and hand. But I do get and understand peoples argument for a manual and I used to be all for it until automatics got good at which point, you can keep your porridge stirring stick. :D

PaulSlide

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue GT
I certainly wouldn't decide between manual and auto by studying performance figures or counting gear changes, I just know what I like the feel of. I also wouldn't claim to be a purist by preferring the manual though, each to their own.

Sponsored

Toecutter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
I certainly wouldn't decide between manual and auto by studying performance figures or counting gear changes, I just know what I like the feel of. I also wouldn't claim to be a purist by preferring the manual though, each to their own.
Spot on. My first car was an auto and all my following vehicles have been manual. I much prefer a manual myself and that's all that matters to me. I'm rarely going to be ragging my car off the line to 100 so the difference in times means nothing to me.
Coming from a Jeep Patriot, my Mustang will feel like a bullet train.

v8hgt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Race Red GT PP Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
I love autos and will never own another daily car without one. However when I drive a daily it is left in drive and it changes gears automaticity as the name suggests to take away the stresses of the daily grind.
I for one couldn’t be arsed flapping the paddle up and down 10 gears. 5 maybe. My fingers can’t move fast enough for 10 gears.
Since the mustang is an occasional car for me, the manual makes a nice change and the wide power band of a petrol makes a great change from the daily 2 litre turbo diesel!

The only shame for me is that ford didn’t put a Torsen diff in the export cars, but I can solve that with a quaif when this one dies.

Sure the auto will be faster. A cvt would be even faster than a 10 speed. But a manual is quick enough for me.

MrWolf

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
MY2018 Magnetic Auto GT
UK auto I believe is now 3.55 torsen, whereas before it was 3.55 traction lok. The torsen is superior
My window sticker simply says :-

3.55 ratio Limited Slip Axle.

Doesn’t mention torsen (unless this is what it means)

McDoodle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A grey car
Mike Hawthorn on Automatics...

https://www.autocar.co.uk/sites/aut...reviews/first-drives/legacy/backpage27thb.jpg

You can enlarge it to read.

He died two months later, crashing his Jag and hitting a tree.
Fantastic article .... thanks for that. Mike is a bit of a hero of mine (even though I'm nowhere near old enough to have been around in that era), never seen that article before though. They certainly don't make 'em like they used to.

But it's interesting to read that, even back in 1958, there were the same perceived problems as we have now - driving is no fun anymore, roads have too many cars, modern cars take away from the driving experience. Plus ca change, n'est pas!?

dddd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XR6T
US manual is torsen 3.73 in PP
UK manual is traction lok 3.55 in PP :(

On last gen this was fine as gear spacing was closer, now a 3.55 on the new manual will be very long gearing, not great for acceleration and fun when you can do a country road in just one gear. Great however for those adding blowers.

UK auto I believe is now 3.55 torsen, whereas before it was 3.55 traction lok. The torsen is superior LSD.

So those saying drivers car is a manual, well I'd disagree.

The automatic now has torsen, super close gear ratio's so flick it into manual mode and you will be flipping between 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th on the paddles, quite interactive.

Whereas the manual, just leave it in 2nd and 3rd.

I can see how having a 3rd pedal and a stick takes more skill, but does it make it more a drivers car than a good automatic on paddles? I don't think so to be honest.

Last time I checked an automatic does not steer for you, it does not counter steer, it does not apply the throttle or dis-engage the throttle, those are still done by the human and are very much the core of car control. You still have to brake for yourself. For me I find the only real dis-advantage of an auto is if your into drifting and driving a car seriously hard, so you can do clutch kicks or go down a gear before you should, some like this but I'd never personally want to over-rev an engine.

I think people who claim automatics are not drivers cars have not driven a good responsive automatic on paddles, OK the A6 is not that responsive, but its still fun and it still gets the job done. The A10 is a little quicker and you have more gears to flick between making it more fun.

The Camaro I drove had 8 gears, 6th was 1:1 and on the mountain roads I would find myself going through 2nd, 3rd, 4th and into 5th and the main driving aspect was keeping the car straight and not falling of a cliff into the sea. It was quite enjoyable, the only annoyance was like the A6 if you hit the change up on the limiter the car just sits buzzing the limiter for what feels like an eternity. A good euro auto just bangs the next gear in!

Agreed if you get an auto an drive a country road hard in D, then I guess you could argue that is less of a driving experience, but on paddles you still need to be in right gear and you still need to change gear. You just use only your hands instead of your foot and hand. But I do get and understand peoples argument for a manual and I used to be all for it until automatics got good at which point, you can keep your porridge stirring stick. :D
Interesting comment on the 3.55 auto being a torsen as previously the only torsen available was a 3.73. The fact the you can now get a PP1 in an auto is what's made that happen I'm guessing
Now that there is a 3.55 torsen and if that is really what they are going to put in export auto's (do you know for certain) surely they would put the same unit in the manual as well (although I would much prefer the 3.73)

Sponsored

Entai

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT kona Blue, A10, Magneride, CP 2. Daily Driver

dddd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XR6T
According to this all 2018 Mustangs have Torsen diffs.

I don't see that they would then only fit UK versions with a Traction Lok when all 2018 US models including the Ecoboost now have Torsen diffs ??

https://torsen.com/ford-expands-torsen-availability-2018-mustang/
Good find, however if you read it carefully its states all PP1's ie manuals and auto's included the 4 cylinders will come with torsens.
Unfortunately all export GT's so far have only gotten a version of the USA PP1 car's missing some components, one of which was the torsen, export receiving the std GT diff hence the 3.55 ratio
The std 2018 GT still gets normal LSD and 3.55
I'm sure its just cost cutting and praying Ford don't skimp on export market cars again with this new model

OP
OP
Gibbo205

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Still my favourite:

[ame]

Would be ace if Roush started to offer RHD versions of their cars in UK through Mountune.

Though my dream come true is I sincerely hope GM start offering Corvettes in RHD because if they do I will want one big time. :)

MrWolf

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
MY2018 Magnetic Auto GT
Still my favourite:

Would be ace if Roush started to offer RHD versions of their cars in UK through Mountune.

Though my dream come true is I sincerely hope GM start offering Corvettes in RHD because if they do I will want one big time. :)
Soooo... when you coming back then?

OP
OP
Gibbo205

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Soooo... when you coming back then?
See if they bring GT500, but the Jag is a seriously impressive car in every way, tough act to beat, but it is double money so it should be good.
Sponsored