Sponsored

starter car

joez3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mustang
I am just starting to look for a college car for my kid. I would like something inexpensive and is going to be dependable for the next 3-4 years. Buying a used car around here is crapshoot, most of the cars I looked at already have 50k miles. I just don't want some else problems. So I was thinking of getting something new. It needs to have an auto.
I rented a Focus with an auto, I like everything about the car but the trans. It had harsh engagement, I also found out there is big lawsuit over this. So this rules out the Focus and Fiesta.
Just started looking a Honda Fit, we have good luck with hondas in the past. Any other cars I should be looking at, or better yet say away from.
Thanks,
Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Stay away from Honda and Toyota, they are poor quality and lots of problems (over rated). I would recommend a 10+ year old Ford with over 100K miles on it as a good, dependable choice.
If you aren't good at figuring out what's wrong, have a mechanic look at it when you first shop for it. I have a couple older Fords with well over 200K miles and they work terrific. An older Explorer would be a good choice IMO. Cheap to repair, not fast so your kid won't race in it, bigger = safer.

I think the Fiesta with the manual transmission is a good choice as well, but I still wouldn't buy new. Buy something at least a couple years old - teach your kid the value of a dollar.

j_marinelli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
While it sounds like you have already ruled out the Fiesta, I did have a hatchback one from 2011 to 2016. The tranny was different but didnt really didn't bother me once I got use to it(LOL it felt like a beginner trying to shift at time but never stalled or anything). The only issue I did have with the Transmission was the TCM went out. But because of all the heat they have on the Tranny, it was covered under an extended warranty that Ford put on it. It had just over 100k when I traded it in. Only reason I traded it in was I needed a small SUV with a little more room. Looking back I wished I would of kept it as well because I 38 MPG beats the 18MPG I get now.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
While it sounds like you have already ruled out the Fiesta, I did have a hatchback one from 2011 to 2016. The tranny was different but didnt really didn't bother me once I got use to it(LOL it felt like a beginner trying to shift at time but never stalled or anything). The only issue I did have with the Transmission was the TCM went out. But because of all the heat they have on the Tranny, it was covered under an extended warranty that Ford put on it. It had just over 100k when I traded it in. Only reason I traded it in was I needed a small SUV with a little more room. Looking back I wished I would of kept it as well because I 38 MPG beats the 18MPG I get now.
I had a 2011 Fiesta sedan model with the manual transmission. Great mpg, reliable - no problems with it at all and it cost less than $13k brand new. It was great in the snow as well. I was surprised at how well it did in slippery conditions. My only objection to the car was ergonomics. It wasn't really designed with a 6' 4" person in mind. Still, it worked fine for me.

Sponsored

Kinjirra

I R Slow
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
16 Ruby Red GT W/PP, 401a
Vehicle Showcase
I got the wife a new chevy cruze and its been a good solid car. Not to expensive. Plenty of room for junk. Peppy turbo engine that gets good MPG and doesn't look half bad with the RS package. Sound system is good(we got the Bose upgrade) and it has all the connectivity todays kids love. 2nd cruze we have owned and they have been great cars imho.

Nomadic

King of Europe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: '19 Mustang GT base 6spd (SOLD),'19 Camaro 1SS A10, '14 VW Jetta SE 1.8
I had a 2011 Fiesta sedan model with the manual transmission. Great mpg, reliable - no problems with it at all and it cost less than $13k brand new. It was great in the snow as well. I was surprised at how well it did in slippery conditions. My only objection to the car was ergonomics. It wasn't really designed with a 6' 4" person in mind. Still, it worked fine for me.
I 2nd the Fiesta. Had a ‘14 SE manual sedan. $13k brand new. Fun to drive. Comfortable. Great on gas. No issues.

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
Never had an issue with my 2014 Corolla while I had it, was good on gas even with the way I drove it and the body style looks miles better than the previous model. Seems like they average $9-11k around me right now.
Sponsored