Sponsored

Not a new axle thread but 3.73 axle vs HP

FivepointOHYEAH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium 6M
Ok so I have a 468/447 HP/TQ pony. That in 105 degree Houston weather can run a 4 second flat 0-60, and almost sub 9 second 100. I love that neck snap, I havnt tracked my stang yet, since its new but planned on it, so I got 3.31 rear gears, Im still fast after mods. But kind of regret not getting 3.73's. Do yall think Ill decrease my times by a signifcant amount by doing so? or should I just add more HP where i can, I still havnt tuned it becasue im waiting on the procal 3 to come out in November. I attribute my cars quickness soley to GRIP,GRIP,GRIP.

keep in mind switching to 3.73's will cost $2049,
199 gear
300 labor
650$ wider rims
500$ wider rear tires (at 275/35's)
400$ handheld tuner for recalibration
and maybe a lost warranty (priceless ;)
Sponsored

foghat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT w/PP
How do you have 468/447 without a tune? Even with a tune, how do you have that?

OP
OP

FivepointOHYEAH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
straight exhaust, low restrictive mufflers, Air raid CAI. 93 octane gas. Maybe something else... ;)

OP
OP

FivepointOHYEAH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
sorry at the wheels though, 417/402. the others numbers are at the crank.

EXP Jawa

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.torsen.com
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
1999 Cobra Convertible, Electric Green
Keep in mind that axle gearing is all about torque multiplication. Switching from 3:31 to 3.73:1 gears puts about 12.5% more torque to the wheels, and does it under any circumstance that you have tire traction to support the torque load. That's not insignificant. You'd be hard pressed to make that kind of consistent, across-the board torque improvement with minor add-ons. And, of course, it amplifies any add-on gains that you do make.

Sponsored

OP
OP

FivepointOHYEAH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
youre right and I agree, quickness for speed x to speed x in the same gear will mean the higher geared one being quicker aka faster but in life, does the time used to switch gears and the loss of traction come into play more so thus making the addition of torque useless?

Basically i want to know which is better or quicker?

EXP Jawa

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.torsen.com
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
1999 Cobra Convertible, Electric Green
You mentioned tracking the car - which to me means track days, open track events, etc - in which case more torque across the entire powerband is beneficial. You're going to have to shift up and down anyway, and traction off the line isn't really a thing. You'll have rolling traction regardless of axle ratio.

If you're really concerned with off-the-line acceleration, 0-60 times, or drag racing, that's a different matter entirely. It becomes a balancing issue, and I'll defer to others that are experienced with that set up.

OP
OP

FivepointOHYEAH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You mentioned tracking the car - which to me means track days, open track events, etc - in which case more torque across the entire powerband is beneficial. You're going to have to shift up and down anyway, and traction off the line isn't really a thing. You'll have rolling traction regardless of axle ratio.

If you're really concerned with off-the-line acceleration, 0-60 times, or drag racing, that's a different matter entirely. It becomes a balancing issue, and I'll defer to others that are experienced with that set up.
I agree but i thought extending the power band over the rpm would help keep going faster. Like i thought a longer gear that 2nd pushing 70 and 3rd at 100 would help keep in the speeds i need to be in.
I kind of want the best of both worlds but know i cant have it all. Honestly my benchmark car is a corvette stingray. Friend got one after i got my car and it pisses me in every way. Im just about as fast to 60 and from a roll he gets beat already till 95 then he pulls a bit.
Sponsored