1 Mile of Full Throttle

WERA49

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Roush Supercharger Premium 401A
I'm thinking of attending a mile event this spring. Is the Coyote and Roush supercharger combination strong enough for ~35 seconds of full throttle?

Drag racers can get by with radical setups because they spend so little time at WOT. Roadrace and one mile events load the engine for long periods of time.

The car is completely stock, but has a dealer installed Roush supercharger. It has a 10R80 and 3.15 rear gear. I have a 2019 GT.
Sponsored

MurphGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Murph
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
I would imagine the heat soak is going to be insane, especially with a roush supercharger. Any other cooling mods?

Grimreaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
Send it and let us know. Sounds like it should be under roush warranty if something doesn't hold. I bet you have zero issues.

I'd add half can of boostane pro to that tank of 93 for help though. Roush usually starts pulling a bit of timing after xx time at wot. You'll be in fuel enrichment/cot most of the run.

Last edited:

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
Roush might be a good source of info since they've been everywhere with FI. Tuning will probably play a big part.

Cory S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
You will have a very high chance of having a Ringland failure. Gasoline+stock tight ring gaps+long WOT pulls = NOT GOOD.

Sponsored

RagmopInKona

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang HHP
What he said ^. Ring gap is set for. N.a. not boosted and too tight for long runs under wot .

Earlsays

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 MUSTANG GT
Unrelated, but what would a similar pull do on a completely stock coyote? Any weak points?

RagmopInKona

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang HHP
Unrelated, but what would a similar pull do on a completely stock coyote? Any weak points?
Todays oem engines run tight clearances for emissions and mpg. As things get hot they tighten even more till the rod overheats and gets tossed out the engine case. Long high rpm is hell on a stock engine not built for it.

OP
OP
WERA49

WERA49

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Roush Supercharger Premium 401A
You will have a very high chance of having a Ringland failure. Gasoline+stock tight ring gaps+long WOT pulls = NOT GOOD.
Thank you Sir! That's the information that I needed. No mile events for me.

Grimreaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
The gt500 run the same ring gap as the coyote and no DI. Ford gt is close too.

Detonation is usually the problem for uncontrolled pressure and heat. Not helped by an undersized charge cooler as your closer to it with high iat. Give it octane. 30 seconds is different than 20 minutes. The air through the nose at the end of a half or mile event is substantial vs hpde style event too. Wouldn't do a return run with out a cool down.

What about the fact it will be running in fe/cot at 0.70 vs 0.82 lambda too. Doesn't just keep the cat temps in check.

Sponsored

Zathras

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I get that forced induction changes things, but I thought OEM engine designs were put on a test stand and driven for hundreds of hours at full throttle & redline for durability testing? Here's an excerpt from 5.0 Mustang & Super Fords about Ford testing the Coyote 5.0:

"Besides meeting the performance goals the Coyote had to pass all of Ford's standard durability tests. These dyno sessions are incredibly brutal, always far exceeding what any rational customer would do to his engine, and occasionally surpassing what is physically possible in a car.

We observed some of this internal combustion water-boarding, and for anyone with a foot-pound of mechanical sympathy it isn't pretty. Engines run fatigue cycles equivalent to 62 Daytona 500 races. Others replicate customer drive cycles for 1,000 running hours to include 1,000 cold starts, plus hitting its peak torque and power for sustained periods. That test alone runs 100 hours a week for two and a half months.

We witnessed another torture session where the engine was run at WOT for several minutes, the headers glowing just a hint of red, then the engine shut off and after several seconds of sitting, -20 degree ice water was forced through the cooling system. Frost formed on the test rig as the engine was about frozen to death, then the ice water stopped, the engine started and after a handful of seconds idling was taken back to max rpm, max load for another heat cycle up to 225 degrees. Each complete cycle takes about 10 minutes, and the engine must survive days of these non-stop thermal shocks. "

jayhoogs

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jayson
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 HP
^^^^ for those who aren’t already aware, the info about Ford’s stress testing on the coyote is pretty interesting. And that’s first gen, and the current gen is even better. I’m almost 100% certain a 1 mile WOT run on the stock engine would be fine (considering proper maintenance and no other preexisting issues exist). This is a performance engine, not just some cheap engine, and while obviously it’s not meant to always be run at WOT, it should obviously be able to handle it. I mean, I even know people who have driven for several minutes at almost WOT in their grand Cherokee and Mazda 3, and didn’t have any issues. As far as boosted applications, I still think the same. Obviously it is very hard on the engine and anything can happen, and it will cause wear faster. But that’s expected.

tdstuart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Triston
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Gt Premium
Todays oem engines run tight clearances for emissions and mpg. As things get hot they tighten even more till the rod overheats and gets tossed out the engine case. Long high rpm is hell on a stock engine not built for it.
Lmao, a stock coyote can easily do a 1-mile event.

ihasnostang

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Saturn ion, 2019 201A, EB PP1, Ruby Red
a supercharged car at moderate power levels should handle that fine.

Cory S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
The gt500 run the same ring gap as the coyote and no DI. Ford gt is close too.

Detonation is usually the problem for uncontrolled pressure and heat.
While generally correct, the GT500 pistons are far superior and ringland design specifically. Coyote pistons/tight ring gaps are the problem in boosted high HP setups on gasoline.

I had 2 ringland failures. 2 OEM Gen 2 short blocks. Zero detonation. 17° of spark on race gas both times. Both happened during the same exact situation. Long 3rd gear 60-130 pulls.

A non forced induction Coyote definitely can go WOT for MILES like others mentioned.
Sponsored