Took my tuned car in for servicing

GrayS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I brought in my mustang into ford to get the valve cover gaskets replaced. One side started leaking oil. I’m fixing it under warranty. The car is tuned though and It has headers and CAI.

My performance tune also includes a tune for the JLT CAI. What are the dangers of them flashing it back to stock and test driving it after? Will the MAF sensor blow and that’s it, or would it cause more damage?

Also could warranty deny repairs for the gaskets because the engine has headers and intake? My guess would be no because the valve covers never got messed with or modified.
Sponsored

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
My performance tune also includes a tune for the JLT CAI. What are the dangers of them flashing it back to stock and test driving it after? Will the MAF sensor blow and that’s it, or would it cause more damage?
The engine will have a tough time starting, and when it does it probably won't stay running for long and just die. So yeah, you need to be 100% sure that they don't flash anything otherwise you're towing your car back home to re-flash the aftermarket tune back on.

There's always the chance that they will deny doing the work given your mods (even though they shouldn't have had anything to do with the leak) but most likely they won't say anything. If they do deny it, just take it somewhere else and hope for the best there as it probably won't be worth your time trying to fight it with the original dealer.

Torinate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
Not sure why they would have any need to flash the car for a valve cover replacement.

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
There's 0.000% chance they will reflash your car.

Why this is anyone's concern is beyond me. It's not a thing, never happens.

Might they deny the warranty claim? Yes, they might. But say nothing and see what happens. Then let us know.

jayhoogs

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jayson
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 HP
Yeah, it probably wouldn’t run great, but I don’t think anything would get damaged. Some CAI don’t require a tune at all, but with that said, I also don’t see why they would flash the tune to stock for that repair. Your physical mods wouldn’t be a reason for them to deny warranty, it’d be hard to prove that valve cover gaskets leaking would be caused by headers or an intake. IMO it’s much more likely that it would be denied if they see your car has been tuned though.

Sponsored

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
There's 0.000% chance they will reflash your car.

Why this is anyone's concern is beyond me. It's not a thing, never happens.
If there is updated PCM calibration (TSB or recall), they easily could do it - but typically they wouldn't do a TSB unless someone came in with a concern for them.

I've had Ford Service perform TSB (not one requiring PCM flashing) without me asking.

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
If there is updated PCM calibration (TSB or recall), they easily could do it - but typically they wouldn't do a TSB unless someone came in with a concern for them.

I've had Ford Service perform TSB (not one requiring PCM flashing) without me asking.
I've only hear of updated calibrations for A10 issues, nothing else. And even with that, the owner has to take the car in complaining to get it.

And that itself might be fake, just to stop people from complaining.

gameovergt

Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Mustang GT California Special (A10)
Vehicle Showcase
Ive got a do not flash cover on obd II port.$10 & totally worth it.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
If there is an update to the OS they will flash it, unless you tell them not to. Then it is up to the tech if he reads the work order or not.

Sometimes they will plug in for diagnostics and the main computer in Dearborn will automatically update the car's software.

If they do flash it they will tell you it won't run, then all you have to do is bring your flashing unit with you when you pick it up. Flash it in the bay or parking lot.

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
If there is an update to the OS they will flash it, unless you tell them not to. Then it is up to the tech if he reads the work order or not.

Sometimes they will plug in for diagnostics and the main computer in Dearborn will automatically update the car's software.

If they do flash it they will tell you it won't run, then all you have to do is bring your flashing unit with you when you pick it up. Flash it in the bay or parking lot.
Please, do tell. What "operating system" does a Mustang run?

I'm also fascinated by the idea of a Ford tech hooking up their diagnostic scan tool, causing satellites to link-up in space, communicating with the "main computer in Dearborn" which will automatically update the car's software.

So please......explain more about that.

Sponsored

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
So please......explain more about that.

You must not be a pro mechanic. Yes most diagnostics are run through Ford. At least it was that way when I quit working on them at a dealer level.

The internet of things.

The operating system in my mustang is "FSGSO5A"

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
You must not be a pro mechanic. Yes most diagnostics are run through Ford. At least it was that way when I quit working on them at a dealer level.

The internet of things.

The operating system in my mustang is "FSGSO5A"
What system does FDGS05A work on?

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
It's the software the car operates on. AT least the ECU. Ford has several for the Mustang.

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
It's the software the car operates on. AT least the ECU. Ford has several for the Mustang.
So, since in 15 years of Mustang ownership and being on Mustang forums I've never heard of a Mustang OS being updated, tell us all how often it happens?

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
What are you a troll?
Before I started tuning mine I went to the dealer and had them update mine. I wanted the latest OS available for my car.
Sponsored