AllthePonies

AllthePonies

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
The funny thing is a fully loaded 401a is only a few k less than a Mach 1. Really juat depends on what your wants are in a car.
I have exactly that, but for $600 a month with zero down and zero percent because they will discount a GT. I’d already have a Mach 1 if they were only a few thousand more net. It’s a totally unnecessary extra car for me so I can’t spend all the kids college money on it…
Sponsored

jpro

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shelby GT350
I have exactly that, but for $600 a month with zero down and zero percent because they will discount a GT. I’d already have a Mach 1 if they were only a few thousand more net. It’s a totally unnecessary extra car for me so I can’t spend all the kids college money on it…
I disagree with you simply because the Mach 1 is the only model that gives you the Coyote with the Tremec 6 speed. Now, if we find out that the S650 will partner the 5.0 with the Tremec, I may come over to your side of thinking.

OP
OP
AllthePonies

AllthePonies

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
I disagree with you simply because the Mach 1 is the only model that gives you the Coyote with the Tremec 6 speed. Now, if we find out that the S650 will partner the 5.0 with the Tremec, I may come over to your side of thinking.
The Dark Horse has the Tremec and a more powerful 5.0. I don’t love the styling since they seemed to fall down the Camaro rabbit hole, but it seems like the performance is there. I wouldn’t be sad to have a Mach 1, but I’d rather have the Dark Horse for a track car. It also seems like the S650 is benchmarking the Mach 1 street performance in general.

jpro

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shelby GT350
The Dark Horse has the Tremec and a more powerful 5.0. I don’t love the styling since they seemed to fall down the Camaro rabbit hole, but it seems like the performance is there. I wouldn’t be sad to have a Mach 1, but I’d rather have the Dark Horse for a track car. It also seems like the S650 is benchmarking the Mach 1 street performance in general.
Yep. That is my understanding. I'm willing to bet that the Mach 1 is a fraction of the price of a Dark Horse though. Here is a good vid previewing the Dark Horse.

REVEALED! 2024 Ford Mustang and Track-Ready Mustang Dark Horse | Car and Driver - YouTube

OP
OP
AllthePonies

AllthePonies

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
I had the bright idea to pick up a local GT350 that still had the original 3/36 warranty active so that I could get an extended warranty. I thought if I got the Gen 2 engine with a 2019 or 2020 it would be a bit more reliable, but I was still concerned enough to want the warranty. It turns out the cost is 2-3x compared to my F150 Hybrid. The 10 year, 175k mile, $0 deductible option cost $18k! The 10 year, 100k mile, $0 deductible option was a bit more reasonable at $7k. The F150 would be less than $3k. This burst my bubble a bit. I’m guess I’m going to be keeping a closer eye on the Mach 1 and the Dark Horse.

Sponsored

derklink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mach 1
I had the bright idea to pick up a local GT350 that still had the original 3/36 warranty active so that I could get an extended warranty. I thought if I got the Gen 2 engine with a 2019 or 2020 it would be a bit more reliable, but I was still concerned enough to want the warranty. It turns out the cost is 2-3x compared to my F150 Hybrid. The 10 year, 175k mile, $0 deductible option cost $18k! The 10 year, 100k mile, $0 deductible option was a bit more reasonable at $7k. The F150 would be less than $3k. This burst my bubble a bit. I’m guess I’m going to be keeping a closer eye on the Mach 1 and the Dark Horse.
I was in a similar situation. Had a Bullitt and wanted something sharper that could be tracked. Almost bought a low mileage 2019 GT350, had deposit down already. Decided against it last minute because I wanted a street car that could be tracked and not a track car that could be driven on the street.

Cost was a factor, too. In addition to the car itself, the warranty, and a new set of tires (couldn’t live with the Cup 2s tram lining) would have been a good chunk of change on top.

Picked up a Mach 1 6-speed this week and am pretty happy. No, it’ll never be as thrilling or special as the Shelby but it’s both - a solid performer and a comfortable cruiser, at a reasonable price and with a pretty worry-free engine.

Just my 2 cents.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
The 10 year, 100k mile, $0 deductible option was a bit more reasonable at $7k
You put that kind of miles on a gt350? Wouldn't 50 or 60k be more realistic? And more like 7 years?

OP
OP
AllthePonies

AllthePonies

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
You put that kind of miles on a gt350? Wouldn't 50 or 60k be more realistic? And more like 7 years?
That would be a bit more reasonable at $3k. The car I was looking at has been wrapped and likely thrashed a bit so it would be more of a daily driver versus a garage queen or a track car.

RagmopInKona

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang HHP
With the end of the second golden era of muscle cars upon us, I’m trying to make sure that when the music stops that I’m in the chair that I want to be in.

I’ve got a manual 2020 GT that’s buckets of fun to drive around town. I originally looked at getting a Bullitt, then a 350, then a Mach 1, but I couldn’t ever justify the price adder (especially because a C8 Corvette isn’t too much more). I might have ended up in a SS 1LE if my wife’s family weren’t all Ford people, plus the employee discount helps.

So now the question becomes 1. Pick up one of the final run Mach 1s. 2. Wait for the S650. 3. Hold and modify my existing GT.

A local dealer is getting a fighter jet gray and a grabber blue manual Mach 1 with the handling pack, which are very desirable to me while also very pricey. The S650 could have a Tremec in a GT or an AWD GT or a Godzilla with a Tremec (Boss 429). Or I could do stupid fun things like add a supercharger to my 5.0 and when that blows up put in a crate Godzilla.

There’s not a lot of downside to any of these options. I guess I’m just trying to figure out whether passing on a Mach 1 will be a mistake. The S650 might be so restricted by the new environmental standards that it’s either too expensive or too underpowered. My 2020 has the full 460 HP, could be factory bumped to 480, and then have a bunch of Ford performance parts added before even thinking of serious power adding modifications.

Good people of the internet, what sayeth you?
I say, keep what you have, these new breed muscle are not going to be collector cars.
Oem's can't get the parts for the vehicles on the line. We are not going to be able to buy replacement parts for these in 15 years time other than junkyards. Electronics only last so long. Much of this stuff has been in popular vehicles long enough that if it was going to happen, it would have . What I mean by that, is if rebuilding, repairing businesses for the modules, infotainment units,etc was going to pop up, it would have, It really hasn't .
Anyone that has owned a classic/collector car that uses it, knows the wiring is in need of replacement and we have the options to replace the harnesses. The wire is a trouble shooting nightmare in a car/truck with nothing but lights and ign. What you think is going to happen to vehicles that and 100+ sensors that any resistance in the wiring will throw the readings off.
Technology got us this rebirth of h/p. but it will be what sidelines them over time.
Think of it this way. The value of mid 70's and 80's even early 90's cars is low because the later cars are faster, have more power. Those that are ice powered only performance vehicle or nothing are aging out. and by the time these are 25 years old, will be a small part of the hobby.
So keep what ya got and make it yours. Unless you want a bone stock ride, then get the one with the most power you can afford to buy.
Picking one thinking future investment worth is a fools game. Technology giveth technology taketh away.
I think those keeping miles off these new breed are going to be very unhappy when the electronics crap out from age and their almost never driven unit is a paperweight because they can't get the part or it repaired.
Get what ya want and drive the wheels off it.

young at heart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 GT vert A10 / 23 Mach 1 A10 / 23 Mach 1 Tremec
“I think those keeping miles off these new breed are going to be very unhappy when the electronics crap out from age and their almost never driven unit is a paperweight because they can't get the part or it repaired.
Get what ya want and drive the wheels off it.”

Driving the wheels off it is pretty much never a bad strategy if you’re so inclined and it’s a lot of fun. But worrying about your car becoming a crapped-out paperweight, not so much. The market will rise to whatever is demanded of it, and there are way too many of these cars out there for the market to ignore. I wouldn’t make my decision based on chicken little predictions. Hey, I recently sent a 1960’s Sun Super tach and sending unit out to be repaired. That’s a pretty niche-y market but no problem.

Sponsored

ChitownStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase
I'd say get the Mach 1, it truly is a special car with lots of differences that make it unique when compared to a GT even in a non-HP or A10 version.
Once I saw the new S650, I was so happy to have my Mach 1 as I have no desire for the new exterior or interior design. I was complete opposite when 15GT came out, had to have one so I ordered right away.
I've had my Mach for 2 years now and have 15k miles with a Flex tune on it, couldn't be happier and she is fast as hell!

Last edited:

zstanny

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zac
Vehicle(s)
21 Mach 1 HP; Prior:20 Camaro SS 1LE, 17 GT350
IMO, the value argument for the mach 1 is much better now if you consider a used 21 or 22. It's the same car, for 10K or more less than a new 23. It's much less of a risk than a used 350.

Find you a one owner low mileage 22 or 21 HP car. You get the tremec upgrade from your current. you'll be right there or even faster than the Dark Horse with light mods.

Some people won't consider used, and that's fine. You did mention picking a final run mach 1, so this 2 cents may be worthless to you :crackup:

The above also puts you in a better position to trade to a S650 later on should you chose so. I personally chose the above, with a high probability of ordering a 25 or 26MY car (dark horse or similar variant),but wanting to still enjoy a M1 for the time being.

derklink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mach 1
IMO, the value argument for the mach 1 is much better now if you consider a used 21 or 22. It's the same car, for 10K or more less than a new 23. It's much less of a risk than a used 350.

Find you a one owner low mileage 22 or 21 HP car. You get the tremec upgrade from your current. you'll be right there or even faster than the Dark Horse with light mods.

Some people won't consider used, and that's fine. You did mention picking a final run mach 1, so this 2 cents may be worthless to you :crackup:

The above also puts you in a better position to trade to a S650 later on should you chose so. I personally chose the above, with a high probability of ordering a 25 or 26MY car (dark horse or similar variant),but wanting to still enjoy a M1 for the time being.
That's what I did. Got a '21 (it was built in 12/21 and sold in 1/22 so plenty of warranty left) with 2k miles for well under (the then) sticker price, let lone the increased prices for the '22 and'23 models. Not only is the trans itself better than the MT82-D4 but the gear ratios make the car feel much more alive and fun to drive. And...I got 10 more HP....muahahah

young at heart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 GT vert A10 / 23 Mach 1 A10 / 23 Mach 1 Tremec
That's what I did. Got a '21 (it was built in 12/21 and sold in 1/22 so plenty of warranty left) with 2k miles for well under (the then) sticker price, let lone the increased prices for the '22 and'23 models. Not only is the trans itself better than the MT82-D4 but the gear ratios make the car feel much more alive and fun to drive. And...I got 10 more HP....muahahah
You darn 10 hp snobs! Will the ballbustin’ never end?:crackup:

Truth is though, us 22ers got an extra model year of dollar value at trade-in time so it kinda levels out!