Cheaper to "fuel up" ICE than EV

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
Hello; This would be a good road test subject for one of the auto magazines. They are full of EV articles of late. Well at least Motor Trend is. I plan to allow my subscription to expire as it is full of cars of no interest 90% of the time. They even had to stretch things to get the F-150 EV to be truck of the year. But I ramble.

They could have an EV and an ICE of similar size and comparable gasoline MPG and electric MPG, if possible. Have the cars do a road trip from NYC to LA. Have two parameters to measure. One being who gets there first and another what did it cost to fuel/charge up. Not a cannonball run, but at normal speeds.
Guess the routs will have to be different as the EV will have to route so as to find chargers.

Second thought. Maybe from Washington DC to Seattle Washington with a required pass thru Middlesboro KY. That would be of actual use to me as i live close to Middlesboro. They would be required to take pictures of the team and cars in front of the aggravating tunnels in the Cumberland Gap National Park.
I was in troop 32 of the Boy Scouts of America back when that park opened. We scouts were part of the opening ceremony.
Sponsored

momalle1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium
We did, so far over about 30k miles we’ve saved $2500+ on just fuel alone. That isn’t EXACTLY the figure, but I used $3.25/gal average for gasoline. Also didn’t figure in “free” charging we’ve done on trips or around town, but it’s probably pretty close.

Edit: I’d also mention with the vehicles we were cross shopping our acquisition cost was not any different than it would have been otherwise. If we’d been looking at a Hyundai or Kia sedan the acquisition cost would have been much lower.
How does the initial cost of the vehicle stack up against how much you've saved?

TW Merema

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
TW
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
How does the initial cost of the vehicle stack up against how much you've saved?
Not precisely certain what you mean here, but sticker price of the vehicle we purchased was $45k. As what I'd call a "premium" crossover type utility vehicle, it was right in the middle of the comparable ICE vehicles we were cross shopping at the time. That group consisted of Toyota Rav4, Honda CRV, VW Tiguan, Acura RDX, Lexus NX, Range Rover Evoque, and a few others I don't recall off the top of my head. At $45k it was right in between the Honda, Toyota, VW group and the Lexus, Acura, Range Rover group. The equipment level of ours puts it right there as well, with all the driver assist items, leather, full glass roof, etc. that the luxury makes had.

I guess that being said we spent less than we would have on an Acura or Lexus (way less than the Range Rover) but more than if we had gone with a more modestly equipped competitor from Toyota or Honda.

momalle1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium
Not precisely certain what you mean here, but sticker price of the vehicle we purchased was $45k. As what I'd call a "premium" crossover type utility vehicle, it was right in the middle of the comparable ICE vehicles we were cross shopping at the time. That group consisted of Toyota Rav4, Honda CRV, VW Tiguan, Acura RDX, Lexus NX, Range Rover Evoque, and a few others I don't recall off the top of my head. At $45k it was right in between the Honda, Toyota, VW group and the Lexus, Acura, Range Rover group. The equipment level of ours puts it right there as well, with all the driver assist items, leather, full glass roof, etc. that the luxury makes had.

I guess that being said we spent less than we would have on an Acura or Lexus (way less than the Range Rover) but more than if we had gone with a more modestly equipped competitor from Toyota or Honda.
Is there a ICE version of your vehicle? If not, tough to do a comparison. I know when hybrids were big, they carried somewhere around a 25% premium. You'd have to drive a ton to recoup that cost. I think and EV F-150 is about 20k more than a comparable ICE F-150. You wouldn't save buying that. It's not really important, just curious. Thanks for the feedback!

TW Merema

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
TW
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
Is there a ICE version of your vehicle? If not, tough to do a comparison. I know when hybrids were big, they carried somewhere around a 25% premium. You'd have to drive a ton to recoup that cost. I think and EV F-150 is about 20k more than a comparable ICE F-150. You wouldn't save buying that. It's not really important, just curious. Thanks for the feedback!
Oh I see what you mean. No, the ID.4 is strictly electric, it’s the same platform they’re building the new VW van on (Buzz I think they’re calling it?). It was about 5k more than a comparably equipped Tiguan, which was quite a bit smaller inside and much worse to drive.
Sponsored