Sponsored

The Albuquerque Stripper - Who says a Mustang can't land a kickflip?

Biggus Dickus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
G
Vehicle(s)
Focus RS, Mustang GT, MME GTPE
Besides going out at ACS with a full tank, Is there anything you can do about fuel starvation?
Sponsored

Ewheels

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1, 2020 Explorer, 2023 F150
Vehicle Showcase
Is Miata the answer? I dunno. Perhaps, I mean, what other car can have a set of tires last almost whole season?
Wouldn't they still heat cycle out though?

OP
OP
PaddyPrix

PaddyPrix

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
07 335is, 08 LR2, 13 Tahoe, 18 Mustang GT x2
Vehicle Showcase
Besides going out at ACS with a full tank, Is there anything you can do about fuel starvation?
There are a few, the easiest is to use something like an overflow tank like Radium. Think of it like a tall liter sized cola bottle with a fuel pump in it. The regular tank pump connects to that, and then the overflow is now tasked with pressurizing the fuel rail and keeps trying to fill itself up, and whatever excess goes back to the main fuel tank. The idea is that if the car starts going sideways, the much, much skinnier overflow tank won't have the same slosh issues and can continue pumping. Eventually, the car should level out enough that the main tank will get to a spot where it can get back to refilling the overflow, and eventually we're going to have to lift or brake, in which the overflow will be able to refill and catch itself up, as we no longer have that fuel demand, but the overflow does. I'll have to scrutinize one of my friends much more on this, but it was still a problem at ACS where we're still asking for close to 20-25 seconds of coverage for the initial entry onto the bank, then T1 and T2, I want to say they were still clipping out near the end, just because their fuel demand was greater than the additional overflow capacity. Now I don't know the quantity of that overflow, but for simple math, let's say it's 1/4 a gallon... now if you get 4mpg, then 1/4 a gallon is say 1 mile of fuel. At 150mph, you're going 220 feet per second so for 25 seconds, you travel 5,500 feet, just over a mile, so, it's close. That assumes that you're driving so hard that your main tank would be starving and not capable of refilling the overflow during that whole time as well. I say 25 seconds, because at my 1:44 lap video, that's approximately how long I was on approach and until I'd level off onto T3 approach.

There are other tricks with tank baffling, and these big spongey brick things to catch fuel as it's sliding all around too, but I think this is only a somewhat unique problem at places like ACS, Daytona, and other high banked turns (Indy? Texas?) which are pretty few.

How's the leg? We going to see your face on the track anytime soon?

Last edited:
OP
OP
PaddyPrix

PaddyPrix

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Wouldn't they still heat cycle out though?
Oh probably, I was kinda joking about them lasting a whole season, but I'm probably not too far off from it really, compared to us where it's pretty rare for a tire to last 16-20 heat cycles. For a car that weighs half as much and goes half as fast, their life has got to be probably closer to 30ish cycles. Going half as fast means you probably aren't pulling anywhere near the G's we do with the heavybois, so you can probably get by with a lot less grip, or rather have a much lesser demand for it. Even if I'm wrong, I'd bet a full set of tires is maybe $800, considering that a weekend out with the Stripper is $2k, even if it's as highly unnecessary as it sounds, I could much better stomach new rubber in the wee man.

But ugh, that exhaust. I'll have to make a straight-piped Mustang app to generate beautiful aural sex with some obd reader to sync with your rpm. Actually, damn, I think I'm onto something here -- tell me you wouldn't pay $4.99 for that, right?

edit - LOL, so yeah, apparently 30 is the limit, (or at least for an e36) if memes are to be trusted.
1657911482682.png

Last edited:

Ewheels

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1, 2020 Explorer, 2023 F150
Vehicle Showcase
Even if I'm wrong, I'd bet a full set of tires is maybe $800,
$800 for a set sounds about right.
I have half-seriously played with the idea of a turbo Miata or turbo BRZ for a track car purely for cheaper consumables.
The Mustang is great but with kids potentially in my near future, whatever can keep me on track for less money is a win in my book.

Sponsored

OP
OP
PaddyPrix

PaddyPrix

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Short post, which is totally not my style, but underwent a little transformation Thursday.

Started out with the MBRP Pro Race 3"
1660936032697.png

Switched to an aFe setup for single tips
1660936059470.png

and tossed some Vibrants on after them with fixed 90 tips
1660936074168.png

and vbanded them, should there be some track that pulls sound from the driver side, like Lime Rock (and somehow I can afford a 3k mile tow)
1660936091390.png

The sound is going to take some getting used to, as it's not honestly my cup of tea. I'm probably losing some power and generating a little more heat, but I can at least complete a lap at Laguna Seca without lifting, and in a month from now, that's really all I'm really going to care about.

It'd be nice to sub 2 there too.

edit: Also, losing the MBRP boomtube thingy means that I also gain back some space in the center rear area, which I believe would be enough for a diffuser. I'm going to guess that the aero benefit from running one would outweigh whatever additional weight it is going to add back in, and through my interpretation of the rules, there's no limitation to its dimensions, unlike the front. Not sure what 8 feet of aluminum weighs, but it's worth it to keep the tailgaters at bay. I've lost 25 pounds the hard way over the past 2 months, to the point that my knees can't take it any more, so hoping that was enough to cancel out the added weight of the mufflers.

OP
OP
PaddyPrix

PaddyPrix

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
(I'm sure many of you have heard, and this is the last time, I promise I'm just as sick of talking about it as you are hearing it :D )

To say Nationals went to plan would be a massive, massive understatement. I'm sure those of you who were at Nats are likely sick of hearing about it, probably as much or more than I am talking about it. Just got home, back fatigue is really setting in, but I'm going to hunker down and put this post down now that I've got internets.

off to a great start

Had a great car all year, really starting to find her rhythm, and in the 2 months I had my pc, I don't know how somebody could mathematically put in more laps on that fucking track. When I wasn't simming it, I was stalking the competitors social medias, watching friends with similar setups videos there as well, so there was reason I was quiet during the NASA SoCal 3 month heatbreak, I was preparing for war. I'd lost 35 pounds, with the car coming in at 3590 with me in it, 15 under my 3605 that I used to run at.. but could be fixed with fuel as an extra 0.1 comes at 3601+, for safety. I had flown my Mom in from the east, rented an RV, and we made our trip up. For those who saw me noticing that I was dressed like a clown (moreso than normal), well, one of the bags that we forgot was my clothes, so I was wearing Walmart's hottest fall fashions. Besides, I'd just run around in the suit the whole time, so no big problem. Finally made it up Tuesday night, and was I believe the first occupant in the Lake Bed Paddock, which was a different and really nice change of pace.

Wednesday morning was going out with NCRC, my plan was to go out easy, and try to balance the simmings suggestions vs the real thing, and not sure who was out with me, try not to show too much of my hand, migrating traffic and getting good runs at a few turns here and there. Being half deaf and having mufflers now, I was also trying to get the tones right and my rhythm down.

1663733141909.png

1663733159558.png

Kept bumping into traffic, and near the end of the second session, I put together perhaps the worst lap of my life. I have played this lap over in my head for the last 5 days, almost down to each hand and foot gesture. Grabbed my 2nd gear for turn 11, something I had been able to do with like 10% success since I thought I had lost it way back in February's Willow Springs event... but then fucking flubbed 3rd coming by the hotpits.

1663733183090.png

the worst lap of my life, the last lap of hers

Flubbed another one out of 2b, then realize it's me thinking too much, it's the prototypes that I can't see with the new halo seat which is yes, now blocking the usual over-shoulder mount. I saw them exit 11 when I was just going over into 1, so I figure they made up that gap, especially with these goofs, might as well take it in, try to fix mirrors, grab some lunch, and clear my head. I point Chin by.

1663733201189.png

you too, Croiset, at least I caught your big bubbly thing

1663733214929.png

alright, cleared, let's get a nice 5, 6, 7, 8, and coast it after a quick shot out of the corkscrew.

Nope, another flub. I do gestures so that when I'm scrubbing video, I can quickly find the places I'm signaling to my future self. Not happy now.

1663733229743.png

Braking at the stripe, I had a nice hard brake, a little chirp as I was right at threshold, weight shifts forward, big brakes come alive and I'm do.... oh fuck, lost pressure and I punch the floor.

1663733257838.png

pump pump pump, please no, pump pump -- nothing. I did not know at the time, but my front right inner caliper bleeder valve had loosened enough, blown/melted the cap off, and was spraying fluid on the inside of my wheel, and perhaps between the rotor and pad.

I can barely afford to fix the Stripper, much less the Stripper AND another car. I guide her right to just clear him... and in that moment decide a side collision into the tires gives me the best suvivability when compared to a head on collision. Grab the wheel, hard left, pull the e-brake, and welp, adios, it's been a fun one.

1663733290047.png

and just like that... she's gone.

got sideways, across the pavement, right side into the sand, kept rotating, so now I'm looking at the flagger and car, rear-3/4 impact, roll onto the tire wall, flip straight up in the air, land on the roof, roll down the hill a few times, and land like I tell all my students, shiny side up, sticky side down.

All I kept hearing through the pits was people talking about how they just have to get that famed corkscrew shot for marketing purposes, because, it's not like somebody can tell if you're doing 15 vs 55 anyhow, but at long last! Our corkscrew shot!

1663733409162.png

(Thanks Jordan Sideris for the shots)
1663733394782.png

Honestly wasn't there for the photos anyhow, I was there to win. Went to the hospital after a few ladies kept begging me to, and found out after some CT scans that I had some spinal fractures, and guessing a 4 month recovery time, lifting nothing heavier than 10# the whole time. So, not listening to the doctors, went back to the track and cheered everybody on, watched some great racing, lent my transponder, put some faces to names from some of you fine folk here, and some of the other TT2 fam. I also got more hugs in those 3 days than I probably had over the first half of my life, and I'm not even a hugger. Team TMO did pretty darn good out there, and Team NASA SoCal did too. I know a few of you were pulling for me, and I'm sorry to have let you down, but, at least I have a chance to try for another one.

Yet, despite all of that, NASA Nationals 2022 were fantastic, with them really upping their game, trying to highlight some of our stories and racing, heck, had I not wrecked, you would have seen my dumb mug with Karla Pestotnik, and how we must have co-ordinated our hair, jeans, and shoes in advance. (Narrator: They didn't.)

1663733423278.png

2 Regional TT2 Championships and a couple of records will have to do. Hopefully you enjoyed her story, because I certainly enjoyed writing it.

We now return you to your regular broadcast, already in progress.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
(I'm sure many of you have heard, and this is the last time, I promise I'm just as sick of talking about it as you are hearing it :D )

To say Nationals went to plan would be a massive, massive understatement. I'm sure those of you who were at Nats are likely sick of hearing about it, probably as much or more than I am talking about it. Just got home, back fatigue is really setting in, but I'm going to hunker down and put this post down now that I've got internets.

off to a great start

Had a great car all year, really starting to find her rhythm, and in the 2 months I had my pc, I don't know how somebody could mathematically put in more laps on that fucking track. When I wasn't simming it, I was stalking the competitors social medias, watching friends with similar setups videos there as well, so there was reason I was quiet during the NASA SoCal 3 month heatbreak, I was preparing for war. I'd lost 35 pounds, with the car coming in at 3590 with me in it, 15 under my 3605 that I used to run at.. but could be fixed with fuel as an extra 0.1 comes at 3601+, for safety. I had flown my Mom in from the east, rented an RV, and we made our trip up. For those who saw me noticing that I was dressed like a clown (moreso than normal), well, one of the bags that we forgot was my clothes, so I was wearing Walmart's hottest fall fashions. Besides, I'd just run around in the suit the whole time, so no big problem. Finally made it up Tuesday night, and was I believe the first occupant in the Lake Bed Paddock, which was a different and really nice change of pace.

Wednesday morning was going out with NCRC, my plan was to go out easy, and try to balance the simmings suggestions vs the real thing, and not sure who was out with me, try not to show too much of my hand, migrating traffic and getting good runs at a few turns here and there. Being half deaf and having mufflers now, I was also trying to get the tones right and my rhythm down.

1663733141909.png

1663733159558.png

Kept bumping into traffic, and near the end of the second session, I put together perhaps the worst lap of my life. I have played this lap over in my head for the last 5 days, almost down to each hand and foot gesture. Grabbed my 2nd gear for turn 11, something I had been able to do with like 10% success since I thought I had lost it way back in February's Willow Springs event... but then fucking flubbed 3rd coming by the hotpits.

1663733183090.png

the worst lap of my life, the last lap of hers

Flubbed another one out of 2b, then realize it's me thinking too much, it's the prototypes that I can't see with the new halo seat which is yes, now blocking the usual over-shoulder mount. I saw them exit 11 when I was just going over into 1, so I figure they made up that gap, especially with these goofs, might as well take it in, try to fix mirrors, grab some lunch, and clear my head. I point Chin by.

1663733201189.png

you too, Croiset, at least I caught your big bubbly thing

1663733214929.png

alright, cleared, let's get a nice 5, 6, 7, 8, and coast it after a quick shot out of the corkscrew.

Nope, another flub. I do gestures so that when I'm scrubbing video, I can quickly find the places I'm signaling to my future self. Not happy now.

1663733229743.png

Braking at the stripe, I had a nice hard brake, a little chirp as I was right at threshold, weight shifts forward, big brakes come alive and I'm do.... oh fuck, lost pressure and I punch the floor.

1663733257838.png

pump pump pump, please no, pump pump -- nothing. I did not know at the time, but my front right inner caliper bleeder valve had loosened enough, blown/melted the cap off, and was spraying fluid on the inside of my wheel, and perhaps between the rotor and pad.

I can barely afford to fix the Stripper, much less the Stripper AND another car. I guide her right to just clear him... and in that moment decide a side collision into the tires gives me the best suvivability when compared to a head on collision. Grab the wheel, hard left, pull the e-brake, and welp, adios, it's been a fun one.

1663733290047.png

and just like that... she's gone.

got sideways, across the pavement, right side into the sand, kept rotating, so now I'm looking at the flagger and car, rear-3/4 impact, roll onto the tire wall, flip straight up in the air, land on the roof, roll down the hill a few times, and land like I tell all my students, shiny side up, sticky side down.

All I kept hearing through the pits was people talking about how they just have to get that famed corkscrew shot for marketing purposes, because, it's not like somebody can tell if you're doing 15 vs 55 anyhow, but at long last! Our corkscrew shot!

1663733409162.png

(Thanks Jordan Sideris for the shots)
1663733394782.png

Honestly wasn't there for the photos anyhow, I was there to win. Went to the hospital after a few ladies kept begging me to, and found out after some CT scans that I had some spinal fractures, and guessing a 4 month recovery time, lifting nothing heavier than 10# the whole time. So, not listening to the doctors, went back to the track and cheered everybody on, watched some great racing, lent my transponder, put some faces to names from some of you fine folk here, and some of the other TT2 fam. I also got more hugs in those 3 days than I probably had over the first half of my life, and I'm not even a hugger. Team TMO did pretty darn good out there, and Team NASA SoCal did too. I know a few of you were pulling for me, and I'm sorry to have let you down, but, at least I have a chance to try for another one.

Yet, despite all of that, NASA Nationals 2022 were fantastic, with them really upping their game, trying to highlight some of our stories and racing, heck, had I not wrecked, you would have seen my dumb mug with Karla Pestotnik, and how we must have co-ordinated our hair, jeans, and shoes in advance. (Narrator: They didn't.)

1663733423278.png

2 Regional TT2 Championships and a couple of records will have to do. Hopefully you enjoyed her story, because I certainly enjoyed writing it.

We now return you to your regular broadcast, already in progress.
Damn, what a sad end to the stripper. Thankful you walked away without any serious injuries or being paralyzed! Sucks how brake failure can crop up at the absolute worst time. You drove her hard, and had a lot of great moments with her. The thing that probably impresses me the most is that dang coyote engine putting up with all that abuse, including being lit on fire! And yet it never gave up. Wild.

2fast2focus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andres
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang Mach 1
Thankfully you are okay, that is always most important.

I am so sorry to hear about the strippers end, I haven’t participated in this thread but your car has been my inspiration since I’ve hit this forum and signed up with NASA.

Hope you remain well.

OP
OP
PaddyPrix

PaddyPrix

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Thankfully you are okay, that is always most important.

I am so sorry to hear about the strippers end, I haven’t participated in this thread but your car has been my inspiration since I’ve hit this forum and signed up with NASA.

Hope you remain well.
Awh man, that means the world to me. I cannot say enough glowing things about NASA, so fortunate that I ran across them. If you're just starting up, definitely listen to your instructors and their teachings, and don't skimp on the safety, which is at times annoying, but completely for your own good and written with your best interests in mind. Had I been with some other org with relaxed rules, well, chances are I'd be typing this with my eyeballs and some expensive machine, or even worse, maybe not at all. Ignore the jackals who say something like "TT isn't really racing!" because eventually, you'll be putting down times that are faster than theirs, and when (not if :( ) it happens, your accident will be as real as theirs, perhaps more.

Perhaps it's just me, but the less things I've got going on in my head, the faster I can go and better concentrate, able to push just for that extra "nnth." Send my love to ol' Limey and Watkins, some of my most favorite places on earth. Shame this country is so damn big sometimes.

Sponsored
OP
OP
PaddyPrix

PaddyPrix

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for Hangin' with Us ... CALIFORNIA

1674248205082.png

An awful lot of strange feelings from this past weekend, like how they flipped the signs so that the exit sign is shown as you enter the track. Our usual Sunny Southern California was mostly pouring down buckets and buckets of rain, even by my high Northeastern standards, and certainly the track's standards as it once again flooded the back half of the track that we call the playground. I don't think bittersweet is the word, but it was tough being there, what is very likely the last event there at Auto Club Speedway, the place where my voyage started, as did so many as it's a quick trip down the road for most of my friends, and the only track within 200 miles for me. I watched and cheered my friends on in-between some instructor workshop sessions, and got to spend a little time exploring the facility. Partially because that we may (or may not) have somebody on the inside, but considering that it's absolutely pouring, and most everybody is miserable and hiding in the garages, what are they going to do, ban me from the facility?

Shane and I snuck on over and made our way to race control on that last day and got to see things from a completely different and amazingly awesome perspective. I know this is just a thread and the quality sucks, wish you could experience it in person though.

1674252133982.png
1674252171913.png

1674252219558.png

There was a discussion thread on this board that had me thinking, and there are a few popular thought camps, some people focusing on the car, prepping it, and all the mods, some which I feel and know matter, some that don't, and then you had a bunch of others preaching leaving it stock, and talking all about seat time. Of course, money came up, which is certainly an object, something which some have much more, and some have much less.

Would you pay $20k for this shit?
1674248045737.png

This view? Fuck No.
All the medals and stuff? Hell no.
What if I toss in the wheels, A7's, and a fender with rubber on it belonging to the Corkscrew wall tires? I mean, it's a step as the tires and wheels are probably 2k, but still, no.

So then why do it? All told, that's what it cost to get a salvaged car, delivery, cage'd, coilover'd, chip'd, caster/camber'd, control arm'd, clutch'd... uhm... cong tube header'd, cuspension'd, clicks'd, ... CEAT TIME!

Not even 3 years ago I started this thread and down this path, no idea where it'd end up, other than the track. I would have taken your drugs if you had somehow told me that I'd build a pretty fast car, take it to the national championships, lose brakes and land a nosegrind 720 kickflip off the most famous turn in all of motorsport. Of all the things in the world, how in the fuck would you come up with that? No idea, but I've got medical bills and the in-car video to prove it.

I try to not get all caught up on regret or if only's, but reflecting over the New Year's festivities, I may have had very likely even taken some of those drugs I had taken from you, and wondered what would have happened had there not been a Covid-19 case on January 24th, 2020. Had it not spread. Had the hysteria not spread, some more extreme data modelings showing the human race going extinct, and just like the zombie movies with everything closing down, and in certain parts of the country, even creating virtual ghost towns... and not the cool Hysteria, like Def Leppard. Had that not happened, I could have very well have been eating lunch at a businessy Strip-Mall Food Court, but instead was sent home and spent a little too much time on Copart on lunch breaks.

Would I have met all of you? Perhaps, perhaps not.
Would I still have done all this tracking stuff? You bet.
Would I have had the same adventure? There can and will only be one Albuquerque Stripper. No.

You never forget your first.

And so, in this stupid thread containing these 200 some-odd posts, I got to go on the trip of a lifetime, I met a great bunch of people, broke a lot of stuff, and learned even more to prove that at least to myself, with not too much more than a little luck, some tools, and some help, just about anyone can build a semi-competitive race car. No two stories are going to be the same, but this was one of them, and sure, with a bias, I thought it was a great one...but who is to say?

If you ever find yourself asking why, perhaps try to turn it around and instead ask yourself why not.

1674249490135.png

Why go out and set the Auto Club Speedway Course Record for a Hyundai Kona Ev? Why not?

1674249532313.png

Why go out and set the Auto Club Speedway Course Record for a Chevrolet Tahoe PPV? Why not?

1674197072742.png

What makes one more valid than another? Who is to say? Do any of these even really matter? Probably not, but it certainly beats the therapy, tickets, ticket lawyers, likely jail time ... so what's the worst that could happen?

Fuck around and find out.

1674250255740.png

See, as you can see, the more you fuck around, the more you are going to find out... and also, if you stay down here, and you never fuck around, you'll never find out.

So I hope this lesson is helpful, thank you. Here's hoping I see you in my next story, ohhhhh yeah.

Last edited:

Biggus Dickus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
G
Vehicle(s)
1) I'm glad you're OK
2) You need to have a Celebration of Life for my second favorite Mustang (and a close second at that).:crying:
3) RIP ACS and death to the rat bastards who are ruining it.

OP
OP
PaddyPrix

PaddyPrix

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Celebration of life? In a way, I guess you're kinda looking at it :D
ACS is just yet another reminder that nothing in life is promised, including tomorrow, so might as well push it to the limit, whatever, wherever, and however that may be. There's a new track this summer at Buttonwillow, and Chuckwalla has something underway, so time to start new memories and ridiculous track records, perhaps some less ridiculous.

1674256863316.png

Biggus Dickus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
G
Vehicle(s)
1) I'm glad you're OK
2) You need to have a Celebration of Life for my second favorite Mustang (and a close second at that).:crying:
Celebration of life? In a way, I guess you're kinda looking at it :D
ACS is just yet another reminder that nothing in life is promised, including tomorrow, so might as well push it to the limit, whatever, wherever, and however that may be. There's a new track this summer at Buttonwillow, and Chuckwalla has something underway, so time to start new memories and ridiculous track records, perhaps some less ridiculous.

1674256863316.png
Amen to that - that said, my son and I loved and held the Albuquerque Stripper in high regard. We always enjoyed your videos and pictures.

As for BW and CW, I'd love to go out there, but easy E85 access is the problem.

Frank.Herbst

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
PaddyPrix,
One of the guys in our Mustang Club (Front Range Mustang Club, Denver) put a blower on his 1999 Shinoda. Guess it ran pretty good for several of years but finally blew up. He now has a Terminator motor installed and need some help. I don't want to drive anyone crazy but some basic help would be appreciated.
1. Should he have gotten both the main harness that mounts to the fire wall on the driver's side and the harness that goes through the passenger sides of the firewall and connects to the ECU?
2. If those two harness and the ECU come from the Cobra the Terminator engine came from does he need anything else from the donor car?
Sponsored