Sponsored

Mach 1 Oil Filter Gasket, Don't Lubricate?!

ChitownStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase
3 oil changes so far for me in my garage. I always dip my finger in a little oil and do a slight run around the gasket.
Hand tighten as much as my forearm can do with a glove on,
Never had an issue and it is always been pretty difficult to get off by hand, usually have to use pliers.
Sponsored

JetGray_Mach1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 (HP)
3 oil changes so far for me in my garage. I always dip my finger in a little oil and do a slight run around the gasket.
Hand tighten as much as my forearm can do with a glove on,
Never had an issue and it is always been pretty difficult to get off by hand, usually have to use pliers.
how many miles between changes?

ChitownStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase

RobZ71LM7

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2019 F-150
I just did mine dry. Weird, but it tightened up just fine. I also marked the end cap with a grease marker in case it rotated. I was on the fence but if the OEM recommends it I usually do it.

5795FE57-FF21-438C-BC16-9173ED7D254E.jpeg

swoop1156

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Mach HP, 22 Raptor 37PP, 22 Cayenne Turbo SE
I used to do my own but with my 10y/100k warranty and minimal miles - all the risk falls on the dealer. I'm a record-keeping hound ever since I had my Focus SVT eat it's Getrag MT285 one day in 2003.

I'll leave it to them to do nearly everything aside from fuelling the damn thing. ...as I go install an MGW 🤣 Okay that's the one exception!

Sponsored

IanKar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ian
Vehicle(s)
22 Ford Mustang Mach1 HP A10; 22 Shelby GT500 HP
I read about this as well. Found this link on youtube where FordBossMe showed the specs on his post-not to lubricate the oil ring.

I still put a tiny smear of oil on the gasket. Just didn't have it in me to put it on dry. So far so good...

mattlqx

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'22 Mach 1, '16 F-150, '14 Fiesta ST, '14 Audi A7
Having had this filter on the early GT350s and tracking the vehicle with no problems, I have to say just tightening the crap out of it with lube and a filter cap socket (they even sent GT350 owners them as a supplement) till it doesn't move anymore worked fine for me. I'm pretty skeptical that this cross-plane crank engine vibrates anywhere close to what the flat-plane crank engines did.

DrZed

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT PP1 M6
I'd want to see the TSB on this. Not lubing the gasket can cause it to tear.
There was a thread on this a while back. The service manual for the 5.0L and 5.2L engine says DO NOT oil the rubber seal. I didn't believe it until I read it myself. The harmonics of the Voodo flat plane was causing spin on filters to loosen, but not on the 5.0L, so not sure why that direction was given to the 5.0L filters.

DrZed

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT PP1 M6
Random thought: does it bother anybody that Ford is one of the few OEMs that stock their oil filters without any protection covering the top of the filter? Meaning any dirt could drop into the fresh oil side of the filter if mis handled. Most other filters come sealed or with a plastic top cover. Always bothered me a bit...

jsullboy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
Random thought: does it bother anybody that Ford is one of the few OEMs that stock their oil filters without any protection covering the top of the filter? Meaning any dirt could drop into the fresh oil side of the filter if mis handled. Most other filters come sealed or with a plastic top cover. Always bothered me a bit...
I was thinking that very same thing. Seems like an unnecessary risk not having the oil filter protected before installing.

Sponsored

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
Last season, I changed the oil (factory fill) and replaced the filter. Like many, I lubed the filter gasket with a touch of oil and installed hand tight (3/4 to 1 full turn, once the gasket touched the block).

I changed the oil a few weeks ago. No issues. The filter hadn't budged and I didn't expect it to.

New filter was installed as before. I've never had a filter loosen, nor have I had one become stuck or "welded" on.

DougS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP Whipple Stage 2
I always lube my oil filter gasket BUT: I put a band clamp around the oil filter with .032 stainless safety wire and safety wire to prevent any movement.

Cobrajet70

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jamie
Vehicle(s)
21 Mach 1 Hp
Vehicle Showcase
Nothing new, Ford has had that in PTS for decades.

I've seen a number of filters come back loose and found it was from tech thinking they were doing right by pulling oil on the O ring. Never seen one come off but I know the GT350s had issues with them coming off even with the Loctite that's on the filters.
Its not going to tear, this isn't 1940 anymore, hand tight after wiping down everything and use a wrench to remove.

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
Last season, I changed the oil (factory fill) and replaced the filter. Like many, I lubed the filter gasket with a touch of oil and installed hand tight (3/4 to 1 full turn, once the gasket touched the block).

I changed the oil a few weeks ago. No issues. The filter hadn't budged and I didn't expect it to.

New filter was installed as before. I've never had a filter loosen, nor have I had one become stuck or "welded" on.
Those oil filter gymnastics you speak of are totally on the users. Sure, read some outright BS folks trying to blame the oil filter.

JetGray_Mach1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 (HP)
Why not stick to Ford recommendation? The worse that can happen is the filter gets stuck right?, but you can use a good removal tool if that happens. As much as I hate it I am thinking I will have oil changes done at the dealer at this point though. I need the documentation for whipple warranty as well.
I decided not to have the dealer change my oil. First oil change filter was left loose(most likely the tech didn't tight enough or maybe they lubed it and didn't tighten enough? who knows). So The next two oil changes I did and I put it on dry per the recommendation. No issues, plus its not completely dry there is always some residue or oil that leaks on to surface.
Sponsored