Beware of Lund

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
My gen 2 has rev hang with the lund tune. (18 mani locked out) It is annoying. My cooling fans also always come on now since my lund tune.

Not even sure how that's connected/possible but it started immediately after I installed my tune.

I need a revision for E85 and O/R pipe soon so I'll see what Lund comes back with.
Did you ever run the 18 manifold with/without a tune before the lockouts? If so, was rev hang present then as well?
Sponsored

CrackedHorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 Mustang GT/CS; 15 Mustang GT
We have all met our share of arse holes and, in many cases, I don't really care if someone is a jerk as long as the job is done correctly.

What surprises me the most about how Lund presents itself, though, is the fact that they are overlooking business opportunities and handing over this finite (and shrinking!) market share instead of capitalizing on it while simultaneously fundamentally misunderstanding how business even works.

Lund knows the calibrations and tunes along with their limits and weaknesses. Instead of calling the paying customers idiots for not knowing the ins and outs of an E85 tune, why the hell don't they just offer the information up front and then offer a discounted seasonal tune package? More revenue, more profit, and your market would grow. Most of the tunes are canned anyway and now you have just sold multiple tunes to a single car with very little extra work. Win-Win.

But instead...they call the customers idiots because, heaven forbid, the guy/gal with the mustang who is paying their bills just wants to jump in their car and have fun? Heaven forbid that the customer doesn't want to learn all the facets of Lund's job.

Put bluntly, "idiots" pay the bills. Customers are paying for Lund's knowledge and skills which should be scarce. Lund would not even need to exist if we all had this knowledge and ability.

That is the real irony to me. Sounds like Lund needs to find a person with a head for business rather than trying to remain relevant in the same way Kanye West does; IE "The megalomania shock and awe" type of approach.

CrackedHorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 Mustang GT/CS; 15 Mustang GT
Did you ever run the 18 manifold with/without a tune before the lockouts? If so, was rev hang present then as well?
I have only run with the Lund Tune and the lockouts. I don't really have an A/B comparison to offer.

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
I have only run with the Lund Tune and the lockouts. I don't really have an A/B comparison to offer.
Copy that. I was trying to ascertain whether the lockouts pose a tuning issue, given the fact that the Lund employee was not happy when I inquired about them. Let me see if I can find his email and post his and my responses verbatim.

John N at Lund’s response to my inquiry about lockouts:
You will need all new tunes. No logging. Why are you locking them now? I keep seeing people do this and its creating more work for no reason at all . Did you break yours ?

Its 150.00

Me:
The short story is this; I removed the IM in order to access the two top bolts on my transmission during removal for a new clutch and tranny rebuild. I figured while I was there, I would install MMR’s Head Oiling and Cooling Mods, which will take up a little more space at the back of the IM and therefore, I wanted to declutter that area if possible. I’m also considering having Wilson Manifolds port the IM and figured that would be the time to install lockouts as well. If the performance gains from the port work and IMRC lockouts are not with the cost and effort, I will scrap those mods.
Jonn N:
Ok we can make all new tunes when ready Adrian . No biggie

TexasMetallic5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT, 2005 Ram 1500 4x4
Nardi isn’t wrong.

Sponsored

Proshop

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Billy
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Mustang GT
Copy that. I was trying to ascertain whether the lockouts pose a tuning issue, given the fact that the Lund employee was not happy when I inquired about them. Let me see if I can find his email and post his and my responses verbatim.

Jonn N:
Why do the act like the lockouts are a new thing? I never had to worry about it for my first year of being boosted due to have a Roush (that they won’t tune) but when I switched to ESS that’s all I read about was making sure you use the lockout’s and the info goes back years. Been reading this thread since day one and finally decided to chime in even thou I don’t have a pony in this race other than I never considered having them do a calibration/tune for me due to not working with 18+ Roush’s.

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Nardi isn’t wrong.
I’m not saying Nardi’s wrong. I just didn’t understand what he meant by saying, “I keep seeing people do this and it’s creating more work for no reason at all.” Was he referring to me, the end user putting in work to remove and replace the IM or was he talking about the tuner having to make tweaks to the tune?

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Does anyone know exactly how much extra effort is required to adjust tunes for IMs with lockouts? I didn’t know if it was a matter of opening the customer’s existing tunes that are on file, checking a box or two to disable them and then emailing the revised tunes to the customer. I have no knowledge of how to tune, so I won’t pretend that I do. I was just asking to gain an understanding of what’s involved.

Red65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Red 1965 Coupe, 2017 Premium MT GT
Does anyone know exactly how much extra effort is required to adjust tunes for IMs with lockouts? I didn’t know if it was a matter of opening the customer’s existing tunes that are on file, checking a box or two to disable them and then emailing the revised tunes to the customer. I have no knowledge of how to tune, so I won’t pretend that I do. I was just asking to gain an understanding of what’s involved.
If you're still running the original intake on the car, I could see where he is coming from somewhat since naturally the IMRC's work as intended. But I know for Gen 1 and 2 cars swapping to a 2018+ manifold, majority of tuners recommend locking the IMRC's out because it takes some work to get them to work properly since it's not original hardware. I know some Gen 2 guys were locking theirs because the Gen 2 manifold is known to have IMRC issues causing misfire codes, and I never heard of any tuner complaining about it in that situation. TBH it just sounds like another example of them selling canned tunes and not really wanting to revise it if they can help it.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
“I keep seeing people do this and it’s creating more work for no reason at all.”
They did this to themselves. When the IMRC's first came out on the cars they didn't understand them and told everyone to lock them out.

Now that the EPA is climbing up their butt they are changing their tune. (pun intended)

There is no power to be gained by locking them out.
Does anyone know exactly how much extra effort is required to adjust tunes for IMs with lockouts?
It's quite involved. You need to A turn them off B modify spark tables C modify distance tables D modify mapped points E snap to line and F snap to point.

Thats off the top of my head, might be one or two others.

Since you have a finished tune he cannot just copy and paste and will actually spend 15 minuets replacing these tables. Then it will probably need a revision or 2 to get rid of any hesitation or surge that most won't care about but many do.

Sponsored

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
They did this to themselves. When the IMRC's first came out on the cars they didn't understand them and told everyone to lock them out.

Now that the EPA is climbing up their butt they are changing their tune. (pun intended)

There is no power to be gained by locking them out.

It's quite involved. You need to A turn them off B modify spark tables C modify distance tables D modify mapped points E snap to line and F snap to point.

Thats off the top of my head, might be one or two others.

Since you have a finished tune he cannot just copy and paste and will actually spend 15 minuets replacing these tables. Then it will probably need a revision or 2 to get rid of any hesitation or surge that most won't care about but many do.
Oh okay. Thanks for that explanation. So with four tunes (93, Flex, E85 and Nitrous), we’re talking roughly an hours worth of work? With that being said, $150 seems fair to rid the back of the IM of extra junk.

offroadkarter

Threads
Reaction score
Website
offroadkarter.smugmug.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
My gen 2 has rev hang with the lund tune. (18 mani locked out) It is annoying. My cooling fans also always come on now since my lund tune.

Not even sure how that's connected/possible but it started immediately after I installed my tune.
Lund tunes are setup with a 170 T stat in mind, regardless if you have one or not. My fans come on early as well, I have a 170 T stat kicking around to eventually go in.

Jonn N:
Its funny that he's bitching about the lockouts, I swear when the 18+ manifolds started, they'd tune them ONLY if the IMRC's were locked out.

SolarFlare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 CO GT
This guy Alex living rent free house n some of your heads. Ya’ll don’t like him yet you watch him lol, Ya’ll would have a more peaceful life if you just stop doing the things that anger you. Just suggesting

Evolvd

Instigator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
This guy Alex living rent free house n some of your heads. Ya’ll don’t like him yet you watch him lol, Ya’ll would have a more peaceful life if you just stop doing the things that anger you. Just suggesting
Your logic is flawed. Someone posted a video of him bashing customers so obviously curiosity will get the better of many people to see if it’s true.
If you’ve never provided a negative review or spoken ill of ANYONE you have no moral soap box to stand on and talk down to people here.
Thanks for your input, although it was completely useless and self serving of your ego.

SolarFlare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 CO GT
Your logic is flawed. Someone posted a video of him bashing customers so obviously curiosity will get the better of many people to see if it’s true.
If you’ve never provided a negative review or spoken ill of ANYONE you have no moral soap box to stand on and talk down to people here.
Thanks for your input, although it was completely useless and self serving of your ego. And you might be right, I don’t believe I’ve given anyone a bad review, I simply see it as lesson learned and move on with my life.
Lmaooo this got nothing to do with me. It’s about Karens complaining in here and yet still giving the guy they hate views which results in him making more money and Karens just ending up more angry.
Sponsored