Sponsored

Driveshaft recommendation? [Driveshaft carrier bearing shot: new driveshaft for non-race car?]

GilmourD

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS - Ruby Red Metallic
So, my driveshaft's carrier bearing makes a clicking noise from 0mph to about 25mph and it drives me nuts.

I don't race the car but I do enjoy some spirited highway driving.

As such, I don't need anything crazy as far as driveshafts. I'd like something one-piece with good build quality that's inexpensive enough that my wife won't harpoon me with it when she sees the price.

Any suggestions?
Sponsored

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
OP
OP
GilmourD

GilmourD

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
No first hand experience, but I have heard nothing but good about the Steeda shaft: https://www.steeda.com/steeda-10045511s-mustang-driveshaft-mt-82
I wouldn't try to go inexpensive. This is one part where you need it perfect.

If I was going to upgrade (and I will at some point), this is the one I would get.
Well, I guess what I mean by inexpensive is that I don't need anything crazy for race purposes, which would increae the price for something I would have no use for. I don't need it to be lightweight and actually would prefer it to not be since my understanding is that lightweight shafts lose momentum faster. I definitely don't intend to cheap out and get junk, either.

3pdl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 mustang gt pp1, '82 f150
So, my driveshaft's carrier bearing makes a clicking noise from 0mph to about 25mph and it drives me nuts.
some have reported a loose sticker on the driveshaft that makes noises similar to what you describe. might be worth inspecting.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra

I don't race the car but I do enjoy some spirited highway driving.

As such, I don't need anything crazy as far as driveshafts. I'd like something one-piece with good build quality that's inexpensive enough that my wife won't harpoon me with it when she sees the price.

Any suggestions?
Also check the guibo for tears at the bolt holes. There is this tech DIY repair about it:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/s550-driveshaft-coupler.104582/#post-3653515

Sponsored

OP
OP
GilmourD

GilmourD

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
some have reported a loose sticker on the driveshaft that makes noises similar to what you describe. might be worth inspecting.
Just had the car on the lift this morning. That's what I was hoping for but I'm not that lucky.

OP
OP
GilmourD

GilmourD

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Also check the guibo for tears at the bolt holes. There is this tech DIY repair about it:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/s550-driveshaft-coupler.104582/#post-3653515
So, that appears to be a different issue.

My car makes a tapping (not quite banging) noise from just to the right of my butt. It's independent of the throttle and tracks with vehicle speed. It occurs when the car is not in gear, becomes audible at just a few MPH and stops at roughly 25mph. It doesn't occur in reverse.

I brought it to the shop I bring stuff I don't have the ability to do (mostly because my lease says I can't do work in my driveway and also because I don't have access to my brother's tools since he's now in a different state) and they put it up on the lift.

OP
OP
GilmourD

GilmourD

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
So, is the Steeda above the only recommendation for my use case (no racing but spirited driving)?

givemeadollar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 LFP 800
I had a mishimoto radiator on my whippled car and it made a huge improvement to cht's. Although i went from the base gt radiator not the pp radiator.

OP
OP
GilmourD

GilmourD

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
I had a mishimoto radiator on my whippled car and it made a huge improvement to cht's. Although i went from the base gt radiator not the pp radiator.
Radiator?

Sponsored
OP
OP
GilmourD

GilmourD

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)

Prodigal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
So, is the Steeda above the only recommendation for my use case (no racing but spirited driving)?
The Steeda aluminum has very good reviews and they run their own stuff with vids and reviews @tj@steeda
The QA1 would be the tier 1 carbon fiber if you were inclined to splurge. I believe Steeda also runs this DS on one of their cars. I know they sell it.
The only one I would shy away from is the DSS drive shaft shop as there is plenty of bad reviews and stories of their stuff not holding up. No personal experience so YMMV.

OP
OP
GilmourD

GilmourD

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
The Steeda aluminum has very good reviews and they run their own stuff with vids and reviews @tj@steeda
The QA1 would be the tier 1 carbon fiber if you were inclined to splurge. I believe Steeda also runs this DS on one of their cars. I know they sell it.
The only one I would shy away from is the DSS drive shaft shop as there is plenty of bad reviews and stories of their stuff not holding up. No personal experience so YMMV.
Under what conditions do the DSS units not hold up?

Superspirit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I could be wrong, but I believe the steeda unit is a reboxed dss.

I was wrong, according to Terry@beefcake so I'll stand corrected!
Sponsored

Last edited: