Sponsored

Unfortunate Tuesday with my Mach 1 - engine oil mess (not as bad as BP)

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Any other S550 models that have similar oil cooler setups? I am thinking of carrying a bag of kitty litter in my trunk now
There are thousands of Mach 1’s, GT350’s, & GT500’s out there who have never had an issue with their coolers. I believe this was a freak accident. Keep you kitty litter in your pantry where it belongs. :giggle: :like:
Sponsored

NJMike

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Trackhawk-2" Kooks, pully, CAI, cat back
Vehicle Showcase
Hard lesson to learn, costly one. I keep rags in every vehicle , mostly worn out tee shirts, towels. but yes. my first thought would not have been lets take a few photo's while oil is doing down a drain.
I feel bad for the o/p shelling out 4k is a hard pill to swallow.
go back to page 9, says GEICO is covering it

Cory S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
Remember the older BMW's with the integrated fuel pump? When the pump went bad, you had to change the entire gas tank...like $8K
BREAK MY WALLET. I tried the German thing a couple times. Never again.

ay1820

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT/CS
Yeah, repair work can be big $$$. BUT, I owned my E85 for over 15 years and never had a single out of warranty repair (other than routine maintenance). I only put 77,000 miles on it in those 15 years though and I knew that I was about to hit the point where things would start to need repair, so I ditched it in favor of my S550.

So while I expect that repair work will be less on a per incident basis, I am betting that I will see more repairs with the Ford. Time will tell. I also know that I am not likely to keep this car for 15 years ... actually I am approaching the age where the "repair costs" on my own body over the next 15 years will be my bigger expense 🤣

fast306stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 M1HP6MT
RIGHT!

We've had 3 new BMW's. My wife bought her 335i first. Awesome car, never a lick of trouble. So I bought my M235i 6 speed a year later and all it ever did was spend time in the shop. After seeing the invoices, I knew I wouldn't own that car after the warranty was up. In the meantime, she traded hers on an X1 that was problem-free as well. But the issue with the X1 is it's the bottom of the barrel BMW and the resale on that car tanked FAST!!!

I was gearing up to get an M3 or M4 eventually...but after owning my M235i, that thought went out the window QUICK!

Sponsored

ay1820

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT/CS
And 6 years of surcharges/ hiked rates, the owner pays for it in the end. So my thought on this still stands.
Insurance companies rarely lose.
Yup. Of course, if they did "lose" they would be out of business.

The real reason to have insurance is to cover you in the case of a catastrophic loss. It would be far cheaper to self insure against incidents like the one in question here, but if you are ever responsible for a collision that results in serious injury or (God forbid) loss of life, then insurance is the only thing that will keep you from "losing" everything yourself. It is rare, but it does happen, even to responsible drivers.

NJMike

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
And 6 years of surcharges/ hiked rates, the owner pays for it in the end. So my thought on this still stands.
Insurance companies rarely lose.
Maybe... I dont know the rules in Canada, nor the entire country for that matter but in general for many states it is collision that jacks up premium not comp.
I am in insurance and used to do Auto (Home, etc) in NJ years ago. Some time ago, like 15-20 years in NJ several companies restructured how to charge extra for Comp without directly charging for a Comp incident by implementing "Tier rating" but not all companies participate in that model (like NJM). So when you had an accident (collision) the carrier would tack on points - 5 for an accident, 2 for moving violations and so on. These stayed on your policy for 3 years, and still do today. But for Comp they didnt until the Tier restructure, however it wouldnt add to $4000 by any stretch. Maybe $200 per year for just a re-tier

NJMike

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Yup. Of course, if they did "lose" they would be out of business.

The real reason to have insurance is to cover you in the case of a catastrophic loss. It would be far cheaper to self insure against incidents like the one in question here, but if you are ever responsible for a collision that results in serious injury or (God forbid) loss of life, then insurance is the only thing that will keep you from "losing" everything yourself. It is rare, but it does happen, even to responsible drivers.
Not completely accurate but I understand tour point. For example some states allow for a separate coverage for just "glass" with its own $0 deductible. This is by each state. I think they have that in FL, but in NJ glass is covered under Comp. If the windshield needs replacement you pay your Comp deductible which most people have well above what a new windshield costs. But a fixable rock chip is typically covered with no out of pocket expense.
Comp is really called "other than collision" and is considered for things outside the control or responsibility of the driver. For example the rock chips, or deer, falling debris like tree limbs, flooding or other things like that. Whereas collision... We drive Mustangs and are aware of how many of them end up off the road where the driver contributed... Which makes me go hmmmm about GEICO covering this claim under Comp. But again I dont know Canadian insurance

Mike Pfeifer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red Mustang GT A10

Sponsored

ay1820

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT/CS
Not completely accurate but I understand tour point. For example some states allow for a separate coverage for just "glass" with its own $0 deductible. This is by each state. I think they have that in FL, but in NJ glass is covered under Comp. If the windshield needs replacement you pay your Comp deductible which most people have well above what a new windshield costs. But a fixable rock chip is typically covered with no out of pocket expense.
Comp is really called "other than collision" and is considered for things outside the control or responsibility of the driver. For example the rock chips, or deer, falling debris like tree limbs, flooding or other things like that. Whereas collision... We drive Mustangs and are aware of how many of them end up off the road where the driver contributed... Which makes me go hmmmm about GEICO covering this claim under Comp. But again I dont know Canadian insurance
Whether it is comp or collision it does not really matter. Nor does the deductible matter. If I add up what I have spent on insurance over four and half decades of driving compared to the sum of all of the claims I have ever filed, it still would have been cheaper for me to self-insure. BUT that certainly was not an option when I was younger, and even today I still want the protection against catastrophic loss.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Regardless of your country insurance rates go up regardless of whether or not you fill a claim. In this case OP filed a claim and was told it would be covered. It may or may not raise his rates. But for now he is happy so how about we leave it at that?

NJMike

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Whether it is comp or collision it does not really matter. Nor does the deductible matter. If I add up what I have spent on insurance over four and half decades of driving compared to the sum of all of the claims I have ever filed, it still would have been cheaper for me to self-insure. BUT that certainly was not an option when I was younger, and even today I still want the protection against catastrophic loss.
Lol, being an insurance guy I hear this all the time. "My insurance should be cheaper, I never filed a claim" but thats why they call it insurance and mandate it where they are allowed to. Like when you have loan, the finance company dictates your deductible. Having no loan allows you to self insure to a degree. for example in the winter when mine is a garage queen, I drop Comp & Collision from like around now until about April'ish. Also having those deductibles higher saves some premium

NJMike

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Regardless of your country insurance rates go up regardless of whether or not you fill a claim. In this case OP filed a claim and was told it would be covered. It may or may not raise his rates. But for now he is happy so how about we leave it at that?
Not criticizing, just trying to give some of my understanding to the folks reading along. I would have filed the claim also. Technically (at least in the US) you are obligated to report any incident within 24 hours whether you proceed with a claim or not. Technically

fast306stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 M1HP6MT
The pic in post #2 of this thread definitely shows scuffs and marks on the splitter, along with the oil covering it.
I wouldn't think that whatever made that scuff would have tore up the oil cooler, but it's hard to make a judgment from an online pic. I think if that hit was that hard, it would have tore the splitter off? Since the mark is mostly on the top instead of the bottom. IDK, it's just a guess...
Sponsored