Sponsored

Unfortunate Tuesday with my Mach 1 - engine oil mess (not as bad as BP)

OutWest

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Old Person Special Mach 1
As some other have said, in my town, the non-emergency number is the local police department dispatch. When I call 911, I reach the CHP. Don’t know what I’ll do in a new town, specially in a new country. I guess I’ll most likely ask the building manager. People should lighten up; Canada is not USA
Sponsored

Finally21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350 Race Red (All original)
Lmao all I have heard since I could remember was emergency situations, trauma stories are table talk in my family. My wife was an emergency room nurse and in the icu currently, my grandfather is a retired sheriff, my mom was a triage nurse for 20 years and it’s sad to see a man with 30 years of service defend a guy who omitted information on his post to dodge blame. Wow, just wow.
Having now been told that since you can remember you've been told about emergency situations and trauma stories from your family (not personally experienced) changes my mind and certainly qualifies you to speak about an incident in Vancouver. I think you also mentioned being a health care professional but didn't specify in what area. Your wife was an ER nurse, your grandfather was a sheriff and your mom a triage nurse, but you left out your area of expertise. Being a "healthcare professional" puts you at a much greater advantage to comment on all things 9-1-1 related because you've heard stories from your family. Glad to know we have the benefit of you (and your families) expertise. Thank you for your service.

OP
OP
dethmaShine

dethmaShine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 HP FJG
Appreciate folks sharing their thoughts and coming in my defense in some cases. I'll clarify a few things so there is no doubt about my intentions and accountability.

1. I am fully accountable for this. Period. It doesn't matter how this happened but this happened with my car so while the building is responsible for things, I am responsible for making sure people are safe. Nothing else matters.

2. The very likely cause is hitting the curb on the lower left. We didn't feel it; not sure why but there is no other explainable reason for this happening. I shared to both the hotel/apartment as well as the first responders that hitting the curb was the likely reason. Further, the first responders first comment coming to the scene: "did you hit the curb?"

3. I wish I didn't need to call 911 - however in this case it was required by Strata that I call. I called 911. 911 moved me to fire as they are the first responders in this case and they came in with absorbol and responded. They actually had less absorbol than required so there was another fire truck that pulled up with more supplies. Won't go much into detail but I'd rather call 911 and have fire come even I am wrong than put the lives of hundreds if not thousands of people at risk as it was a fire hazard.

4. I don't understand the comments about responsibility. It's my fuck up and I have to deal with it; hence I was up till 4 AM and waited till hazmat cleared everything and got an OK from the hotel.

5. Losing money sucks. Stocks are doing great though (not). Not more important than any potential harm for anyone. My building concierge called different agents and we were just waiting a hazmat to respond and commit. I started calling to be more efficient on time. It could have been more efficient/cheaper but in that moment - was neither a priority nor a concern.

6. Car is parked for diagnosis. I will know latest by next Wednesday.

7. Was I stressed during the situation? Yes. Did I make some right calls? Yes. Some wrong ones? Perhaps. Good learning experience not only if this happens to me but if this happens to anyone else. Being "correct" in these situations is not the only thing that matters. Being proactive and involving people who can help share guidance and resolve these things matter and that was done and I am contend with that.

Finally, I'll say - the fire dept was happy to resolve it as they spent half hour with me. The officer on the left in the photo was happy to deal contrary to the body language/eye expert in this thread. He also asked me: "how much is the horse power" I said 480 on a 5L and he joked: "well right now its 0". So there were multiple officers and they were joking and made me feel better about myself as the scale of the leak was a bit of a downer for me.

Thanks for everyone in this thread for sharing their thoughts. I will comment more as it goes and engage with folks. Lot to learn! :)

Polski

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Marek
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP2 401A
Vehicle Showcase
Appreciate folks sharing their thoughts and coming in my defense in some cases. I'll clarify a few things so there is no doubt about my intentions and accountability.

1. I am fully accountable for this. Period. It doesn't matter how this happened but this happened with my car so while the building is responsible for things, I am responsible for making sure people are safe. Nothing else matters.

2. The very likely cause is hitting the curb on the lower left. We didn't feel it; not sure why but there is no other explainable reason for this happening. I shared to both the hotel/apartment as well as the first responders that hitting the curb was the likely reason. Further, the first responders first comment coming to the scene: "did you hit the curb?"

3. I wish I didn't need to call 911 - however in this case it was required by Strata that I call. I called 911. 911 moved me to fire as they are the first responders in this case and they came in with absorbol and responded. They actually had less absorbol than required so there was another fire truck that pulled up with more supplies. Won't go much into detail but I'd rather call 911 and have fire come even I am wrong than put the lives of hundreds if not thousands of people at risk as it was a fire hazard.

4. I don't understand the comments about responsibility. It's my fuck up and I have to deal with it; hence I was up till 4 AM and waited till hazmat cleared everything and got an OK from the hotel.

5. Losing money sucks. Stocks are doing great though (not). Not more important than any potential harm for anyone. My building concierge called different agents and we were just waiting a hazmat to respond and commit. I started calling to be more efficient on time. It could have been more efficient/cheaper but in that moment - was neither a priority nor a concern.

7. Was I stressed during the situation? Yes. Did I make some right calls? Yes. Some wrong ones? Perhaps. Good learning experience not only if this happens to me but if this happens to anyone else. Being "correct" in these situations is not the only thing that matters. Being proactive and involving people who can help share guidance and resolve these things matter and that was done and I am contend with that.

Finally, I'll say - the fire dept was happy to resolve it as they spent half hour with me. The officer on the left in the photo was happy to deal contrary to the body language/eye expert in this thread. He also asked me: "how much is the horse power" I said 480 on a 5L and he joked: "well right now its 0". So there were multiple officers and they were joking and made me feel better about myself as the scale of the leak was a bit of a downer for me.

Thanks for everyone in this thread for sharing their thoughts. I will comment more as it goes and engage with folks. Lot to learn! :)
You didn't feel the moment you hit the curb? How drunk were you? Did you get the camera footage?

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60

Thanks for the update. Just ignore those who have nothing better to do than denigrate you. It’s becoming the norm on here recently.

Sponsored

wynand32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT California Special
You didn't feel the moment you hit the curb? How drunk were you? Did you get the camera footage?
"How drunk were you?" A classic example of begging the question, if anyone wants one for future debates.

I don't remember alcohol ever being mentioned as a potential cause/complicating issue in this situation, so by asking that question, "How drunk were you?" the OP must now defend himself against the explicit implication that alcohol was involved.

If the question had been "Were you drunk?" then that would be a different matter. It turns it from an accusation into a simple (potentially innocent) question.

OP
OP
dethmaShine

dethmaShine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 HP FJG
Hehe, that's okay. I don't drive and drive. I barely drink these days. That said, my wife is a bit more disciplined than I am in life and keeps me in check. Glad she was there when this happened otherwise I would be more stressed. She had a flight yesterday morning at 11 AM \but was still able to spend a lot of time with me. :)

Polski

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Marek
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP2 401A
Vehicle Showcase
"How drunk were you?" A classic example of begging the question, if anyone wants one for future debates.

I don't remember alcohol ever being mentioned as a potential cause/complicating issue in this situation, so by asking that question, "How drunk were you?" the OP must now defend himself against the explicit implication that alcohol was involved.

If the question had been "Were you drunk?" then that would be a different matter. It turns it from an accusation into a simple (potentially innocent) question.
This is a simple question, how can you not feel the impact of hitting a curb? You had to feel the hit? There's no way your steering wheel did not give you a "sign" of - oh shit, you hit something.

wynand32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT California Special
This is a simple question, how can you not feel the impact of hitting a curb? You had to feel the hit? There's no way your steering wheel did not give you a "sign" of - oh shit, you hit something.
The simple question of how a person couldn't feel an impact is one thing, although I can imagine it's possible. Begging the question, as I pointed out, that the person must have been drunk is another thing entirely.

It's like asking someone, "When did you stop beating your wife?" Built into the question is the implication that the person has been beating his wife and that the only question is, "for how long?" If it's not clear what I'm saying here, then I give up.

Sponsored

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
Well, shit happens. Not the end of the world.

Polski

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Marek
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP2 401A
Vehicle Showcase
The simple question of how a person couldn't feel an impact is one thing, although I can imagine it's possible. Begging the question, as I pointed out, that the person must have been drunk is another thing entirely.

It's like asking someone, "When did you stop beating your wife?" Built into the question is the implication that the person has been beating his wife and that the only question is, "for how long?" If it's not clear what I'm saying here, then I give up.
I know... I should be a lawyer... Oh well, maybe in my next life :)

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
I wonder if you guys didn’t feel it when you struck the curb because the wheels were turned, allowing the tire and chin spoiler to brush against the curb, while the oil cooler sat just low enough to make contact with the curb and dump the oil? Like one of those unfortunate situations, where everything aligned perfectly and caused the mishap.

The good thing is, you and your wife are safe, as well as other hotel guests and that’s what’s most important.

Bobn57

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
1968 Mustang Fastback, 2021 VB, GT/CS
Vehicle Showcase

Is it possible you hit something in the road on the way to the hotel which caused the leak? I'm trying to picture how the oil cooler lines (assuming that is the problem) are routed under the Mach 1. Anyone have any pics of the bottom of a Mach 1? I can't imagine any lines are that exposed.

dfanucci

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT / 68 Mustang Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
As a former firefighter...

The only thing that would have bugged me about being called out on this, is if I was dead asleep and had to lug around a broom and oil-dry 5 minutes after being woken up.

I'd take a nice brisk evening locking down a garage and doing some clean-up over sitting at the station watching tv or cleaning the damn truck (again) any day.

And for folks that are wondering about a "real" 911 call coming in, there are redundancies in place, and mutual aid options that can be used.
Sponsored