Sponsored

Unfortunate Tuesday with my Mach 1 - engine oil mess (not as bad as BP)

bugajskj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
I’ll take a stab at it.

Looks like this guy struggles driving a sports car (by his own words) and ran over the curb and busted something loose claims he has no idea, but he knows…”It's very possible but as I think about it, turning the car is one of my fears with this M1.” Yeah, he turned his car into a curb lol.

4B570E1D-D312-4F3B-84D6-B6EB0006B384.jpeg

He then could not get towed because again, has no idea what to do with a sports car. I got a tow in the middle of nowhere Tennessee with a flat tire on my 3,000 mile road trip.
76F7ADFD-808C-4C16-9F6C-9073587B1953.jpeg

…and a few days later AGAIN in the middle of nowhere Georgia at 1:00AM.

7CD7F9C9-3EC7-40F6-827C-A8231141D75C.jpeg

Lastly, he threw away $3k-$4k because he probably does not handle pressure very well, since he needed to mention his firing from 6 years ago. So he freaks out over oil on the ground and calls 911 (which should only be used for real emergencies - speaking as a healthcare professional) instead of using any and all resources around him in order not to take up precious time from emergency personnel.

That’s my take anyway, but I feel I am spot on haha
Sponsored

Last edited:

luke1333

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sierra
Because it was the necessary and the right thing to do. That oil loss created a very dangerous situation and needed to be dealt with. I’m betting you wouldn’t be laughing if you pulled into that lot after OP, hit the oil and crashed.
Let's say its 10 qts of oil max spread out over what we see in the photos, highly unlikely anybody would lose control in a parking garage setting. On the roads at higher speeds sure but there grab some PIG mats wipe it up and move on. If I did roll in and crash I know insurance would cover it and move on 🤷‍♂️

luke1333

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sierra
I’ll take a stab at it.

Looks like this guy struggles driving a sports car (by his own words) and ran over the curb and busted something loose claims he has no idea, but he knows…”It's very possible but as I think about it, turning the car is one of my fears with this M1.” Yeah, he turned his car into a curb lol.

He then could not get towed because again, has no idea what to do with a sports car. I got a tow in the middle of nowhere Tennessee with a flat tire in the middle of my 3,000 mile road trip.

Lastly, he threw away $3k-$4 because he probably does not handle pressure very well, since he needed to mention his firing from 6 years ago. So he freaks out over oil on the ground and calls 911 (which should only be used for real emergencies - speaking as a healthcare professional) instead of using any and all resources around him in order not to take up precious time from emergency personnel.

That’s my take away, but I feel I am spot on haha
agreed 100%

bugajskj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
Let's say its 10 qts of oil max spread out over what we see in the photos, highly unlikely anybody would lose control in a parking garage setting. On the roads at higher speeds sure but there grab some PIG mats wipe it up and move on. If I did roll in and crash I know insurance would cover it and move on 🤷‍♂️
Agreed. That fireman’s face is not a “don’t take a picture of me” look, it’s a “I can’t believe I’m here doing this right now because of you” look. The responsible thing to do…if you really can’t get your hands dirty…was to call a non emergency number.

Not trying to be a jerk, but it really is a big deal to call 911 over this.

Last edited:

bugajskj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
Because it was the necessary and the right thing to do. That oil loss created a very dangerous situation and needed to be dealt with. I’m betting you wouldn’t be laughing if you pulled into that lot after OP, hit the oil and crashed.
So I just have to ask - from those 2 images above is that to image the "start" of the oil leak? I mean, I have no way of telling, BUT I'm assuming it may be, since that is the largest pooling of oil out of all the pics, after driving down a few floors...

Is that where the car was parked before starting it?

Take no offense - but how is it anyone would not see that much oil on the ground in such a brightly lit building leaving a parking spot , or even as one is driving with a rear view mirror - and does not immediately stop the car instead of continuing to drive?

Am I totally missing or overbooking something? I have seen all images posted - so again; I'm assuming (at this point), the first top image is the start of the leak... ???

--

For those busting his balls about the clean up - that's not a simple "here's 5 bags of kitty litter, some sawdust and a broom".... That's a massive oil cleanup on different levels of the facility - not just an 10ft patch....That is also a huge liability issue for that parking garage/facility.... All another driver has to do is hit that slick while making the curve and they're going to hit a wall or another vehicle parked... oil on pavement is unforgiving regardless how slow you're going or what tires are on the car.... The OP did the right thing by taking responsibility and trying to get it safely cleaned up.

His Auto Ins. may cover the clean up expenses, he has to call and see... But then again, if filing through Ins., there's the penalty of raised rates too for X-years... Is the cost of Ins. covering the bill less or greater in the long term than just paying it out of pocket - that is what has to be weighed...
  1. Call Emergency Management BC
    (24/7)
  2. If any spill enters the storm drain, ditch or goes onto a public road, the phone numbers noted below are secondary local contacts (where applicable).
Would you look at that, there is a hotline where you can report spills so that you don't have to take time away from people who save lives.

If you really want to play the scenario game, what if for the 3-4 hours this guy is clogging up the 911 line and using firemen for 6-8 more hours to clean up his mess...an apartment complex is on fire with a family on the third floor and parents wondering if they should throw their children out of the window and possibly survive instead of burning alive or dying of smoke inhalation....im sure cars slipping at 5mph is more important though.

If you really believe that, you deserve to get stared down like this:

IMG_1234.jpg

Its imperative for people to learn not to call 911 because you spilled car oil...unless its actively on fire.

Last edited:

Sponsored

cerbomark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Mach1 700, 6 Spd.#5558
I believe the issue is found in the disposal of the cleaned up material. I mean any of us could soak or clean this with the right stuff and a few strong backs. The differing opinions are why it is so costly to dispose the products. I mean it either goes to the dump or some super expensive way of sending it to be recycled or buried in Siberia .
This might be as big a scam as mold removal. It doesn't have to cost $35K to remove some mold. They have played on fear.
I don t believe we should be careless but it can go too far IMO. Just my 2 cents. But I still want to know what happened to the car.

Absorbents — including socks, mats, pillows, sawdust, clay, paper towels and chicken feathers — are typically non-hazardous in their virgin form and can be disposed of in a solid waste landfill. But once they take in oil, you need to make a determination.

Oil-soaked absorbent pads, socks, pillows and loose particulates might be considered hazardous if the oil and/or absorbents come into contact with a listed hazardous waste or if the oil-soaked absorbents exhibit a characteristic of hazardous waste [40 CFR 261.3(a)(2)(i)]. In this case, the absorbents should be disposed of according to the rules and regulations that govern the hazardous waste it came into contact with. (Read our article on RCRA Listed and Characteristic Wastes for details.)

cerbomark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Mach1 700, 6 Spd.#5558
as far as 911, he didn t know what to do so if he called the police they would call the fire dept for a clean up, happens all the time.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,

Polski

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Marek
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP2 401A
Vehicle Showcase
I’ll take a stab at it.

He then could not get towed because again, has no idea what to do with a sports car. I got a tow in the middle of nowhere Tennessee with a flat tire on my 3,000 mile road trip.

Lastly, he threw away $3k-$4k because he probably does not handle pressure very well, since he needed to mention his firing from 6 years ago. So he freaks out over oil on the ground and calls 911 (which should only be used for real emergencies - speaking as a healthcare professional) instead of using any and all resources around him in order not to take up precious time from emergency personnel.

That’s my take anyway, but I feel I am spot on haha
I said the same thing earlier, he hit the curb most likely.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
I said the same thing earlier, he hit the curb most likely.
I'd like to see that shot but from 20 to 30 feet farther back. IE Did the oil slick cause the curb hit?

I'd like to know if it was leaking before he hit the curb.

Sponsored

Jimmy Dean

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
71 mach 1, 82 Bronco, 86 Bronco (dd),
I think what you are showing is the oil going down with gravity, leaving a "trail". Or I might be wrong.
you could dump five gallons of hot oil in a spot and it won't leave that long of a trail......I know.

Jimmy Dean

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
71 mach 1, 82 Bronco, 86 Bronco (dd),
peoiple talking about cars wrecking in parking garage hitting leaked oil.

I park my M1 in a parking garage. it is currently sitting, under a car cover, on the 5th floorbetween a post and a handicap spot. so noone to right or left.

if you drive fast enough in a garage for....anything....to cause you to slip.....you are driving too damn fast.

Look, OP, I am sorry you are having issues. But you are a) leaving out details, b) way the hell over-reacted as far as cleanup. the fire department?>??

ServePro or similiar could've gotten to you for cheaper and done a better job, and even better would've been a walk to the local wal-mart or hardware store and 1-2 hours of work.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
I stand corrected, maybe. It took me 5 tries to get the non emergency number for my local sheriff's dept.

I never would have thought there is a "spill" dept. More gov waste
Sponsored