Sponsored

Well, at the ripe age of 30, I had my first accident

ShadesOfBloo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Datsun wagon, '92 240SX, '08 Evo, '20 Mustang GT
Dfeeds, I'm glad you're okay. I'm worried about what damage you'll find under the car, but at least you're not hurt. Right? If anything feels funny later, get yourself checked out. A little physical therapy now could save you a lot of trouble at a later age.

I read this story thinking "What's to prevent this happening to me?" and the real answer is "Not much". I have an Evo on all-season tires for any day the weather is suspect, but there's always someone else to worry about, like the doofus that swerved in front of you. šŸ˜Ÿ

There was one day I left work and it was snowing right as everyone was going home. Before I could even get off base and onto the highway, there was a 4-lane road with series of S-curves. I got to see a compact FWD Saturn lose the rear end and go spinning across the opposing lanes and thank goodness there was no traffic there at the moment. He had the luck to spin to a stop in an empty parking lot.

Later, I was next to a pickup truck with no weight in the back, and an open differential. I could tell he had an open diff by the way he fishtailed while trying to accelerate. If he had actually lost it, I didn't have anywhere to go because I was boxed in by traffic. šŸ˜“

I think it might have been the same snow event where my neighbor realized his Jeep wouldn't go up the driveway, and he didn't understand why. I saw him spinning his left front and right rear tires, so it seems like he must have had "4 wheel drive" with 2 open differentials. Now that I think about it, maybe we should be glad he didn't get out on the road the next day. That Jeep wouldn't steer or stop any better than it could go.
Sponsored

Garfy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT, 2012 Honda Fit Sport
When I learned how to drive front wheel drive was only a pipe dream. All wheel drive was on pick up trucks, we called it 4 wheel drive. :)

Nothing wrong driving a rear wheel drive car on snow and ice. Just pay attention to driving and not the radio, cell phone, day dreams or anything except driving.

Helps to keep a safety zone around you also, sometimes this is not possible but if possible don't tail gate, have someone on your sides or let someone tail gate you.
When I lived in Oregon, I recall coming up on a GM medium or full-size car (forgot what model it was, probably a Olds or Pontiac) and it was at a traffic signal that turned green. There were a couple guys trying to push it forward as it was just slipping and sliding toward the right side curb. I just drove right around them with no problem. Of course, to be fair, I did have an '89 Accord that had snow tires on it all around. I could drive that car almost like normal all the time even on I-84 with full snow and ice on it. Yes, I did have studded tires on it so that probably wasn't a fair comparison. My point is to be equipped for the weather if you're going to drive a RWD vehicle. My brother in Reno has a F-150 4x4 and recently go a used AWD CR-V. He loves the CR-V as it's easier to find parking than his F-series and it saves gas. His F-150 does have the truck Coyote version in it. He says it's definitely stronger and more economical than his old 5.4L F-150 that he got rid of.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
There were a couple guys trying to push it forward as it was just slipping and sliding toward the right side curb.
Back when I was young and dumb I drove a whole Wisconsin winter with a 440 4 speed 4.56 geared Road Runner wearing 33 X 17 B15 drag slicks.

You learn quick how to get moving from a stop light that is on a slight incline. I drove this car in all weather including snow storms. It was my only transportation at the time. Traffic was a whole lot less dense and I picked my routes when there was snow and ice on the roads.

All in all it was a hella fun car for a young man. I loved sliding around curves ect...
It definitely taught me car control that sticks with me today.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Impressive lack of body damage! You lucked out there. No airbags either. I wouldn't worry too much about hidden damage yet. After the body shop gets it you'll want a thorough inspection of the suspension and subframe after they've 'fixed' it.

I totaled a Miata in the snow once. Air bags didn't go off that time either and I badly bent all four wheels going over a curb. Very low speed black ice. In those conditions, its not going to be easy to save anything, once you get bumped you're probably just along for the ride. Best thing you can do is put both feet in and relax for the likely impact.

Anyhoo, its normal to be a bit apprehensive when behind the wheel for a while after an accident, esp your first.

Garfy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT, 2012 Honda Fit Sport
Impressive lack of body damage! You lucked out there. No airbags either. I wouldn't worry too much about hidden damage yet. After the body shop gets it you'll want a thorough inspection of the suspension and subframe after they've 'fixed' it.

I totaled a Miata in the snow once. Air bags didn't go off that time either and I badly bent all four wheels going over a curb. Very low speed black ice. In those conditions, its not going to be easy to save anything, once you get bumped you're probably just along for the ride. Best thing you can do is put both feet in and relax for the likely impact.

Anyhoo, its normal to be a bit apprehensive when behind the wheel for a while after an accident, esp your first.
I think that nowadays if the airbags deploy, it's a good chance insurance will total the vehicle. Especially today where it's not just the front airbags anymore; they have knee bolster bags, side airbags, etc. so it can become very expensive very quickly. Not having the bags deploy is a big plus and likelihood the car won't be totaled.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Dfeeds

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
1997 Mustang (5.0 HO swap), 2019 Mustang GT PP1
When I lived in Oregon, I recall coming up on a GM medium or full-size car (forgot what model it was, probably a Olds or Pontiac) and it was at a traffic signal that turned green. There were a couple guys trying to push it forward as it was just slipping and sliding toward the right side curb. I just drove right around them with no problem. Of course, to be fair, I did have an '89 Accord that had snow tires on it all around. I could drive that car almost like normal all the time even on I-84 with full snow and ice on it. Yes, I did have studded tires on it so that probably wasn't a fair comparison. My point is to be equipped for the weather if you're going to drive a RWD vehicle. My brother in Reno has a F-150 4x4 and recently go a used AWD CR-V. He loves the CR-V as it's easier to find parking than his F-series and it saves gas. His F-150 does have the truck Coyote version in it. He says it's definitely stronger and more economical than his old 5.4L F-150 that he got rid of.
I specifically stated that I have my winter tires on. This wasn't a case of me driving in 30Ā° F temps, in the snow, on a set of PS4s tires. If my pictures showed a set of summer tires then I'm certain this forum would've torn me a new one.

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
I specifically stated that I have my winter tires on. This wasn't a case of me driving in 30Ā° F temps, in the snow, on a set of PS4s tires. If my pictures showed a set of summer tires then I'm certain this forum would've torn me a new one.
Posted this in the Chicago section but just a heads up to anyone on this thread in the Chicago area. First potential sticking snow of the season tomorrow

484D6F52-9107-48D4-9E18-C0F13DFE2BCF.jpeg

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
If my pictures showed a set of summer tires then I'm certain this forum would've torn me a new one.
Very true, many here think if you drive in the snow or cold and don't have winter tires you will crash and die.

OP
OP
Dfeeds

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
Dfeeds, I'm glad you're okay. I'm worried about what damage you'll find under the car, but at least you're not hurt. Right? If anything feels funny later, get yourself checked out. A little physical therapy now could save you a lot of trouble at a later age.

I read this story thinking "What's to prevent this happening to me?" and the real answer is "Not much". I have an Evo on all-season tires for any day the weather is suspect, but there's always someone else to worry about, like the doofus that swerved in front of you. šŸ˜Ÿ

There was one day I left work and it was snowing right as everyone was going home. Before I could even get off base and onto the highway, there was a 4-lane road with series of S-curves. I got to see a compact FWD Saturn lose the rear end and go spinning across the opposing lanes and thank goodness there was no traffic there at the moment. He had the luck to spin to a stop in an empty parking lot.

Later, I was next to a pickup truck with no weight in the back, and an open differential. I could tell he had an open diff by the way he fishtailed while trying to accelerate. If he had actually lost it, I didn't have anywhere to go because I was boxed in by traffic. šŸ˜“

I think it might have been the same snow event where my neighbor realized his Jeep wouldn't go up the driveway, and he didn't understand why. I saw him spinning his left front and right rear tires, so it seems like he must have had "4 wheel drive" with 2 open differentials. Now that I think about it, maybe we should be glad he didn't get out on the road the next day. That Jeep wouldn't steer or stop any better than it could go.
Haha I appreciate the concern but I can assure you that I am physically fine. The worst impact I took was when I got out of the car and slipped right on my butt!

It really is unfortunate that some things are out of our control. If it helps ease your mind at all, I've been driving RWD cars my entire life, in all weather, without incident. 8 years I dailied an sn95, half of those were with an open diff. I can definitely relate to that truck you're talking about! This is my fourth winter with my 2019. Last winter I even took a roadtrip across a couple of states and came back just fine. It's just shifting your mindset to be extremely defensive. If I had video footage then I'm sure I would've seen a way I could've avoided the whole situation.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dfeeds

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)

Ha, isn't it? When I finally came to a stop I was dreading getting out to see the damage. I used to think the heart beat pulse, on the start button, was super gimmicky but seeing that button pulse made me think "it's alive!" And yes, I'm aware that button could pulse even if the car was absolutely demolished, but still.

The body shop has the car now and will do their initial inspection tomorrow. I agree with your advice. I actually already contacted a specialty shop, I've worked with in the past, to set up a proper alignment and inspection when this is over. It'll be out of pocket but it's definitely a necessity.

So your miata was actually completely totaled? I'm sorry to hear that, but also glad you're okay and here to tell the story!

I'd like to think I won't be affected but I'm certain that the first time I take the mustang out, in adverse weather, I'll be extremely tense and insecure about my abilities.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Dfeeds

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
Posted this in the Chicago section but just a heads up to anyone on this thread in the Chicago area. First potential sticking snow of the season tomorrow

484D6F52-9107-48D4-9E18-C0F13DFE2BCF.jpeg
Thanks for the heads up! I'm shy to admit it but I've been hesitant to get a loner because... "when it rains, it pours." At least until I absolutely need it.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Ha, isn't it? When I finally came to a stop I was dreading getting out to see the damage. I used to think the heart beat pulse, on the start button, was super gimmicky but seeing that button pulse made me think "it's alive!" And yes, I'm aware that button could pulse even if the car was absolutely demolished, but still.

The body shop has the car now and will do their initial inspection tomorrow. I agree with your advice. I actually already contacted a specialty shop, I've worked with in the past, to set up a proper alignment and inspection when this is over. It'll be out of pocket but it's definitely a necessity.

So your miata was actually completely totaled? I'm sorry to hear that, but also glad you're okay and here to tell the story!

I'd like to think I won't be affected but I'm certain that the first time I take the mustang out, in adverse weather, I'll be extremely tense and insecure about my abilities.
The extra inspection may be out of pocket but the rest should be negotiable with your insurance if you find any extra damage.

Yeah that miata was totaled. Bent the frame and the tree and fence I hit dinged up too many body panels, including fence nails through the soft top roof right next to my head. Then one of the other 4 cars that hit the same black ice almost cached in my chips before I could get clear of the hazard area. That car had been in a few good accidents but the local body shop had always gotten her back to shape.

Maybe youā€™ll go another 30 years now that this one is out of the way. I canā€™t even remember the last collision Iā€™ve had while in motion. Yeah I hate to add that last qualifier, but Iā€™ve been my own worst enemy with it parked inside the garage.

KB_210

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
22 Mustang GT Grabber Blue A10
Something similar almost happened to me on the highway last week when a dumb uhaul diver served into my lane and caused me to drive off road but lucky for me I was driving a truck that day with proper tires for off road. Scary suff. I caught up with him and I didn't say nice things for sure. I was beyond angry.

Hope you can show the video to your insurance company by uploading it if you have a dash cam video of the event. Another reason why dash cams are good to have.

OP if it's not an at fault accident and you have full coverage, that will help because it won't raise your rate. Make sure you have the police report too.
Dash cams are the cheapest form of insurance. I have a front and rear on mine.

Spartan1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Eruption Green GT 400A
Glad you're unhurt and the damage looks to be minimal, relative to the impacts.

This is why mine starts hibernating in 2 weeks, too much power for icy/snowy roads, even with a tire change.

OP
OP
Dfeeds

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
I just finished dealing with the body shop and appraiser. It ain't pretty, but it could definitely be worse. It looks like the aim is to just outright replace everything possible instead of attempting to repair, which I'm perfectly fine with. Here's a couple of the hundred some photos I took.

I'll have the body shop's and the appraiser's estimate hopefully tomorrow.

20221116_155132.jpg

20221116_155144.jpg

20221116_161610.jpg

20221116_160241.jpg

20221116_160956.jpg
Sponsored