Z06 Redline is a jab at the Voodoo…

GT4EVR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 K2498; 2014 M-B SLK350; 2010 Maxima SV;
Back in 1962 to 1971 the hot cars you could buy on the show rooms are now part of Automotive muscle car history .
Very true; I recall that era well. Many now are seen on Barrett-Jackson or Mecum.
After driving a performance Tesla it was like going on a date with a beautiful girl that didn’t speak or smile.
Well said! I'll have to remember that one!
Sponsored

s2ms

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
1966 GT350 - 6S1757, 2017 GT350 - H3303
It kind of is though. Ford put the FPC in a Mustang and Chevy is putting it in their flagship sports car/supercar, a car that the Mustang has never competed with. They could’ve put it in the ZL1 which directly competes with the Mustang’s/Shelby’s but they chose to up the ante (and kill off the Camaro). As @Inthehighdesert said, Ford should take that as a compliment. Chevy’s undies got twisted up enough that they felt they had to go to the Vette to answer Ford and the GT350.
It was a different time but....never competed wth?

Making the Mustang competitive with the Corvette was the whole reason the GT350 was developed in the first place. Not only was it competitive, the GT350's blew the Vette's off the track winning the B-production championship 1965, 1966, and 1967.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Pretty sure the Voodoo was an inspiration for GM, not something that they make fun of. After all, what's the point of "making jabs" at a car that isn't even in production anymore? GM just had both the blank checkbook and the desire to take what Ford attempted to do, and take it to the next level and see how far they could go with it. They're going after Porsche and Ferrari customers with this project. It's basically the ultimate nod to Ford as far as the idea is concerned. Yeah, they're doing it a lot better, but I doubt they would have ever bothered had Ford not tried it first.

I'm sure the GM engineers who tested and tore apart a 350 to learn about what was done well and what was lacking probably loved the car too, pretty much everyone does.

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
It was a different time but....never competed wth?

Making the Mustang competitive with the Corvette was the whole reason the GT350 was developed in the first place. Not only was it competitive, the GT350's blew the Vette's off the track winning the B-production championship 1965, 1966, and 1967.
If you’ll recall, the Thunderbird was actually the competitor to the Vette, not the Mustang. The T Bird was the 2 seat sports car developed by Ford for that market segment. Yes, the 350 came along but the Mustang was still a 4 seater that was not targeting the same market as the Vette and T Bird.

Cleesj

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jake
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT Premium PP 401a 6MT MP
I'm quite certain that in the beginning development of the ZERV, GM purchased a Ferrari 458 engine and tore it to bits, likely learning a lot along the way, as the F136 4.5L is also mid engine placement as well as a flat plane crank, I believe revving to 9k rpm. Am also quite certain they did a lot of benchmark testing against a 991.2 Turbo S

https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-ca...-corvette-porsche-911-turbo-s-testing-photos/

https://www.thedrive.com/news/44539...rrari-458-engine-on-ebay-to-learn-its-secrets

Sponsored

OP
OP
DrumReaper

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 429CJ Mach 1, 2012 Boss 302
If you’ll recall, the Thunderbird was actually the competitor to the Vette, not the Mustang. The T Bird was the 2 seat sports car developed by Ford for that market segment. Yes, the 350 came along but the Mustang was still a 4 seater that was not targeting the same market as the Vette and T Bird.
Until they took the back seat out… 😏

KB_210

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
22 Mustang GT Grabber Blue A10
so its a ford.

you guys are crazy and are missing the OP's point.

8500 is a perfectly fine redline, the extra 100rpm is unnecessary but since it was achievable within the business requirements it was allowed because, as the OP stated, is a dig at the voodoo which has had its fair share of difficulties.

its more of a leap to believe they wouldn't do something like this than to say its possible they might.
Its the same as the horsepower war. One brand puts out 10 more hp or like the diesels 50 more torque. Sure the Z06 will compete against different cars but Ford and Chevy compete against each other.

s2ms

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
1966 GT350 - 6S1757, 2017 GT350 - H3303
Yes, initially the T-Bird was the Corvette direct competitor but only until 1958 when the T-Bird grew to a 4 seater. After that there was no competitor (maybe the Cobra but that would be unfair) until 1965 when the GT350 arrived with one main purpose....beat the Corvette. Ford was full steam ahead with their "Win on Sunday, sell on Monday" marketing strategy. Make to mistake about it, they were direct competitors, at least in 1965 and 1966, and retail priced very similarly.

460Fred

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
‘19 GT350 (sold)
Funny how we read the same things and get different takes. Just the way we think….interesting really, just like yesterdays results.

Sponsored

RagmopInKona

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang HHP
Pretty sure the Voodoo was an inspiration for GM, not something that they make fun of. After all, what's the point of "making jabs" at a car that isn't even in production anymore? GM just had both the blank checkbook and the desire to take what Ford attempted to do, and take it to the next level and see how far they could go with it. They're going after Porsche and Ferrari customers with this project. It's basically the ultimate nod to Ford as far as the idea is concerned. Yeah, they're doing it a lot better, but I doubt they would have ever bothered had Ford not tried it first.

I'm sure the GM engineers who tested and tore apart a 350 to learn about what was done well and what was lacking probably loved the car too, pretty much everyone does.
I think Some here have a little fog in their heads.
The c8 mid engine car IS in deed going after Ferrari and others, And that is why they looked at the FPC. That has been found in other mid engine vehicles. If anything, and the bias here won't admit this. GM looked at the Ford to make sure it didn't have a failure rate the Ford unit has had. Ford made GM bean counters blush with the cost cutting they did on the FPC v8.
Sadly, the R&D stopped and Every FPC ford owner has in the back of their mind, when it going to go boom.
Good on Ford for building it. But it isn't 1969 anymore where buying the high strung power plant optioned car and then blowing it up was seen As part of the deal as they came with either no warranty of a very short one.
Today, they expect it to last and not be a ticking time bomb.

OP
OP
DrumReaper

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 429CJ Mach 1, 2012 Boss 302
Lmao is this a joke? What is chevy supposed to do? Say "Omg like ford since you were at 8250 we are going to stop ours at 8250 also so that we are equal and we are both winners and we both can share trophies!" What a bunch of fucking snowflakes
🤦🏻‍♂️

svttim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
I think Some here have a little fog in their heads.
The c8 mid engine car IS in deed going after Ferrari and others, And that is why they looked at the FPC. That has been found in other mid engine vehicles. If anything, and the bias here won't admit this. GM looked at the Ford to make sure it didn't have a failure rate the Ford unit has had. Ford made GM bean counters blush with the cost cutting they did on the FPC v8.
Sadly, the R&D stopped and Every FPC ford owner has in the back of their mind, when it going to go boom.
Good on Ford for building it. But it isn't 1969 anymore where buying the high strung power plant optioned car and then blowing it up was seen As part of the deal as they came with either no warranty of a very short one.
Today, they expect it to last and not be a ticking time bomb.
Wow, a mind reader too!

The purpose of the original GT350 was to make Mustang into a performance car. To be seen as one it had to go racing. In this case, with the Corvette. The Cobra's already killed the Corvette. I'm sure Carroll was not disappointed that he was able to stick it to Chevrolet again.

RagmopInKona

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang HHP
Wow, a mind reader too!

The purpose of the original GT350 was to make Mustang into a performance car. To be seen as one it had to go racing. In this case, with the Corvette. The Cobra's already killed the Corvette. I'm sure Carroll was not disappointed that he was able to stick it to Chevrolet again.
Yawn seems some are still living in the past. Shelby was a business man and racer, he took vehicles and made them better. the Ac car, the mustang. then the Mopars.
I love it though, the same ones that state the Vette and mustangs are not competing against each other, then state that chevy went flat crank because of the mustang. pick one and run with it.
Both are awesome vehicles and powerplants that not all that long ago were said to be dead. Everybody and their brother in the late 80's on was stating the v8 had no future.
Well, guess they are wrong, eh?
Fact is both Chevy(gm) and Ford know their fan base loves the rivalry and feed off it. So they um, market to that end. I see it for what it is. marketing. Some get thar panties in a twist over it. Silly rabbit.

Last edited:

svttim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
Yawn seems some are still living in the past. Shelby was a business man and racer, he took vehicles and made them better. the Ac car, the mustang. then the Mopars.
I love it though, the same ones that state the Vette and mustangs are not competing against each other, then state that chevy went flat crank because of the mustang. pick one and run with it.
Both are awesome vehicles and powerplants that not all that long ago were said to be dead. Everybody and their brother in the late 80's on was stating the v8 had no future.
Well, guess they are wrong, eh?
Fact is both Chevy(gm) and Ford know their fan base loves the rivalry and feed off it. So they um, market to that end. I see it for what it is. marketing. Some get thar panties in a twist over it. Silly rabbit.
Understanding history is not living in the past. It doesn't interest everyone but there's no need to mock those who do. I do agree that the Mustang and the Corvette are not competitors although they cross paths. I also agree Chevrolet was not looking at the GT350 with the Z06. But having been around Ford execs I do know they are not above taking shots at each other at the bar.
Sponsored