Sponsored

Dealership Really Pushing ESP. How Reliable Are The Convertibles?

OP
OP
NY Yankee Pride

NY Yankee Pride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Chrokee / Honda CRV / 1996 Thunderbird
... so if you buy an 8 year plan the day you purchase the car you lose 3 years of that as it overlaps with the factory warranty.... and only get 5 after the first warranty is up? So it really makes sense to purchase it a few months before the factory warranty is up so you get the full amount of years. Is this correct????
Good thought but as Jon Smith pointed out it unfortunately doesn't work that way. These automobile extended warranties are bit misleading for new cars because as you pointed out if you're purchasing an 5 year coverage plan you're really only getting 2 years of coverage out if since the factory warranty covers the first 3 years.
Sponsored

OP
OP
NY Yankee Pride

NY Yankee Pride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Are you going to bring that quote to your local dealership? Would love to see there reaction.
I actually did do that already. I called the Finance manager back and told him I found the same plan for a much lower price and said I was just going to wait until I got the vehicle to decide. He just said "Okay". He didn't even ask the price difference or offer to try to match it.

JCFoster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Vert, 3.15, A6, Magnetic
As far as reliability, mine was a ā€˜16 and never had an issue in 5.5 years I owned it. I think the vert tops are very well made. Granted it was built when people wanted to work and back when the country was strong.

Johnnybee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 convertible
I bit the bullet and purchased a Ford plan at the dealer at time of purchase. I figured if the a/c went out (although less likely in 2018+ cars it seems) or I had an issue with the top, it would pay for itself. I probably should have passed.

Damonfl

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Damon
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ecoboost
I bit the bullet and purchased a Ford plan at the dealer at time of purchase. I figured if the a/c went out (although less likely in 2018+ cars it seems) or I had an issue with the top, it would pay for itself. I probably should have passed.
You can cancel. I did. In FL so expensive.

Sponsored

Avispa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS convertible
I've had one or another convertible Mustang for 30 years. The only repair I had to make on a top or power mechanism in all that time was to replace a leaky hydraulic cylinder on one of my 03 Terminators. The folding frame mechanisms just arent all that much trouble. The top material gets weathered with time, but I never had one fail or come apart. It's just more high pressure sales garbage the dealers all pull.

OP
OP
NY Yankee Pride

NY Yankee Pride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Note the convertible top is not covered under ANY ESP. See page 4 in the terms and condition of this sample contract of what is excluded.
https://www.floodfordesp.com/Ford ESP/Forms/Ford_ESP_Sample_Contract.pdf
I guess that would make sense if the top itself wasn't covered since I guess a top ripping would be similar to a scratch or dent on hard top. But I do feel the ESP should cover the convertible top motor or basically any part that makes it open and close such as the switch, motor, any other electrical part etc. I can't find anything that says whether or not that would be covered.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
I guess that would make sense if the top itself wasn't covered since I guess a top ripping would be similar to a scratch or dent on hard top. But I do feel the ESP should cover the convertible top motor or basically any part that makes it open and close such as the switch, motor, any other electrical part etc. I can't find anything that says whether or not that would be covered.
For a PremiumCare policy, everything is included except the top and bow.

267CEA95-2088-4483-AD5A-381BC893F43F.jpeg

Sponsored

gone_n_60

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Whit
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP Convertible
ESP can be savers if, that's if you have a real serious mechanical issue after factory warranty. Remember it's mileage or years so if you have 60 ,000 and its 4th year you lose. ESP can cover things like transmission, A/C or heater, plus engine systems. I had an ESP on my Titan when the rear diff went bye-bye at 65000, covered by ESP! But only factory ESP's!

twbthird

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Premium PP convertible, Ruby Red
The only issue with my '17 vert was an aircon compressor fail, which was fixed under warranty.

I think the only buyer for which a service policy makes sense is one that does not have the wherewithal or financial discipline to set aside money for maintenance and repairs on their car. If I have a major issue, there is money in my car fund to cover it. If not, I still have the cash.

Stymee

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joel
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Iā€™m in Fl, Iā€™m looking at a 19 GT PP1 Convertible now so it has no warranty left other than the powertrain

Basically 14 months so I wanna add at ESP to the car for any electrical gremlins, ac, power switches, etc

I was thinking buying a 3yr/50k ESP

The car has 6800 miles so I would essentially have a 30k/56k warranty

What do u think I should try to but the warranty for? in 19 I bought a 3/50 ESP for like $1051 from Chapman

jon.smith76063

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 LX Hatch, 1994 Cobra, 2020 Roush Stage 3
Iā€™m in Fl, Iā€™m looking at a 19 GT PP1 Convertible now so it has no warranty left other than the powertrain

Basically 14 months so I wanna add at ESP to the car for any electrical gremlins, ac, power switches, etc

I was thinking buying a 3yr/50k ESP

The car has 6800 miles so I would essentially have a 30k/56k warranty

What do u think I should try to but the warranty for? in 19 I bought a 3/50 ESP for like $1051 from Chapman
That would be a good idea. Check out the links below. That is where most people get them from.

https://www.zeiglerfordesp.com/

https://www.floodfordesp.com/