Outrunning tires?

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
Anyone got tips on how to tell if you’ve just worn out your rear tires? My back end is snapping out a lot lately. I’m not sure if my turbo is overpowering my rear tires. I don’t want to swap worn tires to my front and develop understeer.
I can buy a staggered setup if others have experienced this.
I’m under 5000 miles and only 3 month into ownership, but I’ve driven it hard with multiple (10+) drag launches.
HPP with handling pack, so 265/40r19 corsa’s. The car is currently not tuned but has a drop-in filter and upgraded intercooler.
Sponsored

DRU842

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ecoboost Lightning Blue
What tyres are you running? The Pirelli P Zeros are notoriously poor for grip when cold.

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
Agree tire type needs to be known.

OP
OP

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
What tyres are you running? The Pirelli P Zeros are notoriously poor for grip when cold.
Yes, I have the Corsa’s. Would the drop off in grip be that pronounced? Temps have only dropped into the 60’s/70’s here. I’d understand if it were in the 40’s.

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Anyone got tips on how to tell if you’ve just worn out your rear tires? My back end is snapping out a lot lately. I’m not sure if my turbo is overpowering my rear tires. I don’t want to swap worn tires to my front and develop understeer.
I can buy a staggered setup if others have experienced this.
I’m under 5000 miles and only 3 month into ownership, but I’ve driven it hard with multiple (10+) drag launches.
HPP with handling pack, so 265/40r19 corsa’s. The car is currently not tuned but has a drop-in filter and upgraded intercooler.
Old school way is take a penny and put it in the tread upside down. If you can see Lincoln’s head, you’re tires are worn.

Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
How about a decent closeup of the tires? And yes temp matters

Son of SVO

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
2020 HPP Ecoboost premium coupe
Yes, I have the Corsa’s. Would the drop off in grip be that pronounced? Temps have only dropped into the 60’s/70’s here. I’d understand if it were in the 40’s.
The Corsa 4 tires are your problem. I went through this exact same experience with my 2020 HPP/HP. Unless really hot those tires are awful. Add wet roads and look out!! I replaced mine with same size Michelin Pilot Sport 4S and its night and day performance wise.
My two cents..

OP
OP

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
The Corsa 4 tires are your problem. I went through this exact same experience with my 2020 HPP/HP. Unless really hot those tires are awful. Add wet roads and look out!! I replaced mine with same size Michelin Pilot Sport 4S and its night and day performance wise.
My two cents..
Ok, I came from michelins primacy’s on a BRZ and found the Corsa’s originally to be super grippy. It was a very pronounced falloff over the last 2 weeks but they may have been warmer when I I was throwing the car around the first few months.

Son of SVO

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
My experience was that they wear very quickly. I eked out 12k miles on the Pirreliis before trashing them.

Firsttexan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2011 GT500 '19 GT PP1 '13 GT500, 98 GT, 92 LX 5.0
Vehicle Showcase
The last 1/3 of the tread tends to be a harder compound on most tires.

Sponsored

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, Toyota Tacoma, 89 GT project, 2020 Magnetic EB HPP w/ 6M
My experience was that they wear very quickly. I eked out 12k miles on the Pirreliis before trashing them.
I got mine to 18k, but they were complete bologna skins. I'm on Firestone Indy's now, which are not ultra performance, but they're a good bang/buck option and plenty frisky in terms of grip for street/performance driving. They aren't what you're going to want on a track.

The big issue I had with the HPP Pirellis is how they have a very pronounced grip drop when you overstep. There's no communication that you're on the limit and grip recovery is just awful if they're even remotely (i.e. anything under actual track conditions) cold. I'm sure that 80 tw rating helps get a nice skidpad number for the magazines, but the are absolutely shit tires.

Son of SVO

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
I got mine to 18k, but they were complete bologna skins. I'm on Firestone Indy's now, which are not ultra performance, but they're a good bang/buck option and plenty frisky in terms of grip for street/performance driving. They aren't what you're going to want on a track.

The big issue I had with the HPP Pirellis is how they have a very pronounced grip drop when you overstep. There's no communication that you're on the limit and grip recovery is just awful if they're even remotely (i.e. anything under actual track conditions) cold. I'm sure that 80 tw rating helps get a nice skidpad number for the magazines, but the are absolutely shit tires.
You are absolutely right on! NO trust that they would stick which causes you to be very hesitant with performance driving. The exact opposite in my opinion of the goals of this car! Not sure how the Firestones act but I would expect they, like the Michelins I have now are hard to come out sideways. Performance tires should provide you with confidence not the other way.

OP
OP

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler

What got me to post was when my back end snapped around at 20 mph with under 50% throttle input. I held it through the corner but wasn’t ready for that. They were cold and had caught some water in the road, but that’s the first time I’d experienced that violent of a traction event in this car. It has become apparent I’ve only been pushing traction limits on warmed up tires prior to that. They held great through all the mountain passes of I-90, even in the rain. But that was at the end of a long day starting in South Dakota and ending North of Seattle.

Son of SVO

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
To the originator of this thread: fellow HPP owners have shared their experiences. This is a great function of an online forum like this! I wish that Ford would pay attention to the feedback of their customers on the types of equipment decisions they make.

OP
OP

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
To the originator of this thread: fellow HPP owners have shared their experiences. This is a great function of an online forum like this! I wish that Ford would pay attention to the feedback of their customers on the types of equipment decisions they make.
Yeah, I’m thinking I’ll try new tires before diving into a staggered setup. Until then I’ll be conscious about how much I’ve let the tires warm up.
Sponsored