Preparing to buy my first S550, Need some advice

Stang 19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 Ford Performance Blue
You never stated your budget…let us know… if money is no object why not go for the top of the heap and get a GT 500?
Sponsored

DrZed

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT PP1 M6
Hi everyone, I'm looking into buying an s550 in the next year. Doing my research now and kind of have it narrowed down but wanted some opinions and thoughts. I've narrowed it down to a PP2, a Mach 1, or a GT350. My main goal is I want a good cruiser that will also double for track duty a few times a year. Good Handling and Manual are my main wants. After recently driving my friends PP2 I can say it ticks most of my boxes but I have some concerns as well.

The PP2 is attractive in the fact its about the most price friendly and I can get it fully loaded with all the bells and whistles, digital dash ect for way less than I could a Mach, however, the MT82 scares me with all the horror stories I've heard over the years. I think I'd rather have a Coyote over a Voodoo though so it weighs in over the Shelby there. Obiviously the Mach is the best of both worlds but they also command a higher price.

Would it be more effective to buy a PP2 car and if an issue arises with the trans take the money I would have saved towards doing a tremec swap? Or would it be better to spend a little extra out of the gate and buy a Mach.

Looks wise the Shelby has my heart but the lack of rev match, digital dash, and a few other things make it less desirable for me. Also the Voodoo issues scare me a bit as well.

I currently have a C6 Corvette which I plan to keep, its currently my roadtrip/mountain road slayer, however the goal behind buying a Mustang is to replace it for that role so I can build the C6 for full on road course shenanigans. My want for the Mustang is simply to not have to do much other than maybe an exhaust, lowering springs, a tune, and maybe some appearance stuff.

I spend alot of time around the Mustang/Coyote community due to friends and family who own them and I love it and I'm excited to finally be a part of it. I owned a 67 Coupe previously but I've always owned GMs otherwise. Looking forward to finally making the leap! Hoping you guys can guide me in the right direction.
For me the GT350 engine scares me a lot more than the MT82... which has turned out to be a great trans for me.

fast306stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 M1HP6MT
For me the GT350 engine scares me a lot more than the MT82... which has turned out to be a great trans for me.
I second this completely.

Now I will say, in colder months when my PP2 has been sitting overnight, I know there's a good chance I'm not getting into 2nd gear until I come to the 2nd stop sign. I just feel if it wants to let me in, I never force it and just skip to 3rd gear if it fights back. The car makes the torque to use 3rd gear at 20mph if you're just cruising or light acceleration. And 50% of the time, 3rd gives me a little nibble no matter what. I just accept it for what it is.

I haven't experienced any lockout but I also have done very few 7500rpm shifts...the car is quick enough that I usually short shift at 6K-ish.

I installed the CBR Cradle Lockout kit and that made a huge difference in the car's handling. Amazing difference for the $250 spent. I bring it up because it cleared up 50% of my shifter complaints.

My only real issue with this car is the splitter...I have more trouble with this car at stock height than I did with my 2018 that was lowered on Eibach Sportlines. But if your Vette is lowered then this is probably a non-issue for you...

fast306stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 M1HP6MT
Also I really wanted heated and cooled seats too...but I got leather Recaros. No complaints...I warm my booty in the winter months vicariously through my heated steering wheel lmao

However GA winters are probably more mild than WV winters...

Cory S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
You want the best S550? Buy a clean unmolested 15-17' and take very good care of it.

Sponsored

OP
OP

StayinStock

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
2020 Explorer ST
You never stated your budget…let us know… if money is no object why not go for the top of the heap and get a GT 500?
Its a little out of my budget and the DCT has no appeal to me. I want a Manual car with rev matching. Don't get me wrong, its an awesome car, I drove my friends track pack car and its amazing in every right. Just not what I'm personally looking for. I'd say a fully loaded Mach is about the top of my budget range.

Also I really wanted heated and cooled seats too...but I got leather Recaros. No complaints...I warm my booty in the winter months vicariously through my heated steering wheel lmao

However GA winters are probably more mild than WV winters...
lol I feel that, but this car is more about touring and comfort for me than all out performance.

You want the best S550? Buy a clean unmolested 15-17' and take very good care of it.
I gotta be honest the 15-17 cars don't do much for me and they dont have alot of the options I'm after.

I will say after watching the s650 reveal last night I may wait and see where pricing will fall on the Darkhorse model. Seems like the s650 equivalent of a pp2/mach. I'm sure mark ups will be insane but I liked what I saw.

joe603

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium PP
For sure wait for the S650 Dark Horse...at the very least, other model prices will go down. GT350s are going for crazy money...M1s not as bad, but still almost as much as MSRP for used ones. The PP2 was dropped in 21 and only has the PP1 (Still worth it imo). I'd keep an open mind, you may want the S650 GT with a PP.

OP
OP

StayinStock

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
2020 Explorer ST
Yep thats even an option as well, honestly I like the regular GT styling better on the 650 than the dark horse. Curious to see if youll be able to buy a PP GT with a Tremec. If so that def seems like the better choice for a touring car as well. Also curious to see where this takes Mach and PP2 prices. The good thing is I'm not really in a hurry. This driving seasons closing out anyway and the Vette needs some maintenance over the winter. Honestly right now my leaning is still towards a Mach (specifically eruption green if I can find one when the time comes ) but we'll see. I figure I have 8 months to a year atleast.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Yep thats even an option as well, honestly I like the regular GT styling better on the 650 than the dark horse. Curious to see if youll be able to buy a PP GT with a Tremec. If so that def seems like the better choice for a touring car as well. Also curious to see where this takes Mach and PP2 prices. The good thing is I'm not really in a hurry. This driving seasons closing out anyway and the Vette needs some maintenance over the winter. Honestly right now my leaning is still towards a Mach (specifically eruption green if I can find one when the time comes ) but we'll see. I figure I have 8 months to a year atleast.
We’ll at least now you have plenty to think about. By the way, no change on the 2024 GT transmission. Still gets the MT82. Oh, and no one knows where the pricing will go. My guess is that they will not be coming down.

See you in the Spring. :like:

IndyRN

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang PP1 Premium
I will say after driving my buddy's PP2 with the MT82 It shifts like butter. Probably one of the best 6 speeds I've ever driven as far as feel. I guess I need to go drive a Mach to feel the Tremec. I def don't plan to abuse it either way so I'm not terribly scared of it. Just more of a worry than an all out deterrent
This has been my experience with 2 MT82's so far as well. I've only owned 2019+ vehicles, so I can't speak for anything but third gen motors... but neither of my manuals have had any issues what so ever.

Sponsored

Stang 19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 Ford Performance Blue
I have had first, second and third gen stangs…the mt82 was improved with each iteration. The latest is pretty butter smooth, no issues for me ever, even when hammering g with the superchargers I have installed. I would not be concerned.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
I've narrowed it down to a PP2, a Mach 1, or a GT350.
We'll see you at Summit Point !!

BTW, there are options to garage your car right down the road from the Track. Member here (still?) has their BMW up there. A M1 is the ready-to-track model by far. The GT350 are just stupid overpriced of late.

If you pick a MT82 car you'll want the Steeda shifter bracket. All cars including the GT350 need all the chassis and IRS bushing fixes done to them. Otherwise the car feels like it has a hinge in the back and unpredictable.

Last edited:
OP
OP

StayinStock

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
2020 Explorer ST
We'll see you at Summit Point !!

BTW, there are options to garage your car right down the road from the Track. Member here (still?) has their BMW up there. A M1 is the ready-to-track model by far. The GT350 are just stupid overpriced of late.
I live like 10 mins from the track, hoping to get out there for a FATT before the years out, I haven't made a single session this year, I'm slacking. I dunno if I could keep my cars somewhere I couldn't lay eyes on them lol, Some days I like to just go out in the garage and stare at it (either in frustration or awe lol, depends on the day). Hope to see you out there though! I'm gonna try to make atleast one track day before the years out. I'm itching to try the new setup.

OP
OP

StayinStock

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
2020 Explorer ST
Awesome, I haven't checked the schedule in a bit, is there any good events coming up? I need to fix my seatbelt situation at the moment. I Installed a harness bar with 4 points not realizing I'd need a sub belt. Broke the stock belt retractor in the process (long story lol). So I gotta fix one or the other soon but hoping to make atleast one this year.
Sponsored