Manufacturing Imperfections on Brand New Carbon Rim

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2020 HE GT350R, 2022 HE Gt500 Cftp
I get it with these cars and peoples expectations. Me personally it wouldn’t bother me. When mine shows up I’m putt’n it on the lift and doing a full inspection. Hopefully I don’t find anything to bxtch about. :whew:

Or a lack thereof on the inside of the wheels.
Sponsored

AvalancheSVT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Douglas
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT PP1 6spd
man that diff cooler/scoop/vent setup is really nicely packaged.

Donkey

Large member
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
I get it with these cars and peoples expectations. Me personally it wouldn’t bother me. When mine shows up I’m putt’n it on the lift and doing a full inspection. Hopefully I don’t find anything to bxtch about. :whew:
Hopefully not.

20220820_102046.jpg

20220820_102113.jpg

20220820_103411.jpg

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
I’d rather have to do a clean up such as that as opposed to cosmetic repairs on the wheels or the paint work. Hope it got squared away for you.

Hopefully not.

20220820_102046.jpg

20220820_102113.jpg

20220820_103411.jpg

Sponsored

Donkey

Large member
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
I’d rather have to do a clean up such as that as opposed to cosmetic repairs on the wheels or the paint work. Hope it got squared away for you.
Nope. Dealer wouldn't replace the axle because Ford wants to do the boot first. Ford sent the wrong boot (correct part number according to their computer) so now it's getting an axle and a caliper as it was also damaged during the axle removal. Cosmetic repairs and mechanical, what more could you ask for? I chose not to have the paint issues corrected as having a respray isn't really something I'm looking for, especially on a silver car.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
You know - sitting here thinking about this thread...

Do any of you think that when the original Shelby GT350's were sold to their respective owners in the 60's that people were this critical of the then new vehicles? I mean, QC then wasn't any better than today... and yet people are critical about the back side of a rim on a new car?

I mean, just discussing it - not trying to rag on anyone at all... I mean, we're talking body panel gaps, paint quality, parts that got surface rust during transit - nothing was perfected then... (or now)... But it just makes me wonder when reading this thread AND others similar to it regarding an Owner's expectation...

IMO, if we're looking for Ford "perfection" on a Ford product, it's not the GT350 (or its variants) or the GT500's... if you want as close to perfection as possible it will be the GT line, period. That's where hyper-focus of QC will be at, not on a Mustang, regardless of any Mustang platform price-point, not on a Bronco, or any variant of an F150 either...

Donkey

Large member
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R

Do any of you think that when the original Shelby GT350's were sold to their respective owners in the 60's that people were this critical of the then new vehicles? I mean, QC then wasn't any better than today... and yet people are critical about the back side of a rim on a new car?

I mean, just discussing it - not trying to rag on anyone at all... I mean, we're talking body panel gaps, paint quality, parts that got surface rust during transit - nothing was perfected then... (or now)... But it just makes me wonder when reading this thread AND others similar to it regarding an Owner's expectation...

IMO, if we're looking for Ford "perfection" on a Ford product, it's not the GT350 (or its variants) or the GT500's... if you want as close to perfection as possible it will be the GT line, period. That's where hyper-focus of QC will be at, not on a Mustang, regardless of any Mustang platform price-point, not on a Bronco, or any variant of an F150 either...
I'm certainly not looking for perfection out of anything with a blue oval. It's hard to compare the original gt350, or 500 since they both would be about 45k in today's money. When you are dealing with a 90k dollar car (on the low side), I believe quality issues are more critical, I don't have a cftp and really wouldn't care about bubbles in the resin on the inside of the wheel if I did. This '22 500 makes my 5th new Ford in 7 years, unfortunately this car hands down has the worst fitment and paint quality out of all of those. It's also the most expensive by about 14k. I mean, the damn hood wasn't even adjusted properly. I almost forgot the puncture on the drivers side armrest, add that to the list. Paint runs, bubbles in the clear, panels that simply do not fit etc. My mother purchased a 45k dollar Toyota Highlander that arrived last Thursday, the more I looked at the panel gaps, paint and overall fit and finish the more it pissed me off that the car I literally spent twice the money on isn't nearly as nice. It's an amazing car, it's just an absolute shame that it's build quality is anything but.

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
Can you post a pic or two of the paint runs and bubbles in the clear? I’m assuming that’s on the exterior. I’d have that corrected for sure.

I'm certainly not looking for perfection out of anything with a blue oval. It's hard to compare the original gt350, or 500 since they both would be about 45k in today's money. When you are dealing with a 90k dollar car (on the low side), I believe quality issues are more critical, I don't have a cftp and really wouldn't care about bubbles in the resin on the inside of the wheel if I did. This '22 500 makes my 5th new Ford in 7 years, unfortunately this car hands down has the worst fitment and paint quality out of all of those. It's also the most expensive by about 14k. I mean, the damn hood wasn't even adjusted properly. I almost forgot the puncture on the drivers side armrest, add that to the list. Paint runs, bubbles in the clear, panels that simply do not fit etc. My mother purchased a 45k dollar Toyota Highlander that arrived last Thursday, the more I looked at the panel gaps, paint and overall fit and finish the more it pissed me off that the car I literally spent twice the money on isn't nearly as nice. It's an amazing car, it's just an absolute shame that it's build quality is anything but.

Mike Pfeifer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red Mustang GT A10

Aren’t the Shelbys more like a $25k car with $70k of mechanical upgrades vs an actual $95k car? Don’t they go down the same line as the cheap ones at the factory? Don’t beat me up too bad- I’m not trying to diminish the value of these cars, but the factory doesn’t seem to see them as anything different. I can’t imagine the factory workers suddenly “do a better job” when a Shelby body gets mixed between a bunch of ecoboost base cars. Could ford do a much better job over all? Absolutely! They are certainly behind the other manufacturers on this. I do wish they would do better across the board. They would all have to get better for any of them to get better.

Sponsored

Donkey

Large member
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
Can you post a pic or two of the paint runs and bubbles in the clear? I’m assuming that’s on the exterior. I’d have that corrected for sure.
I don't have pics of the runs and the car is two hours from me but I'll get some whenever I get it back.

These bubbles are actually on both sides of the hood. I'm 90% sure this is a result of repairs made at the factory due to dirt in the paint. It was held in paint then again in PDI for fitment issues on the right front fender/hood area.

received_563266145497191.jpeg

received_2040003676186099.jpeg

received_954590535772398.jpeg

Donkey

Large member
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
Aren’t the Shelbys more like a $25k car with $70k of mechanical upgrades vs an actual $95k car? Don’t they go down the same line as the cheap ones at the factory? Don’t beat me up too bad- I’m not trying to diminish the value of these cars, but the factory doesn’t seem to see them as anything different. I can’t imagine the factory workers suddenly “do a better job” when a Shelby body gets mixed between a bunch of ecoboost base cars. Could ford do a much better job over all? Absolutely! They are certainly behind the other manufacturers on this. I do wish they would do better across the board. They would all have to get better for any of them to get better.
Why not? They do this very thing for Lincolns and have a completely different standard. Even completely wrapped in plastic at the factory. As I said above, people can justify the lacking quality however they wish. My 71k dollar 2020 superduty had much better exterior fit and finish.

OP
OP
Houston Kid

Houston Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 GT500 HE CFTP, '18 WK2 ,'16 Audi A7
I'm pretty sure if a car costs $95,000 pre ADM, it's a $95,000 car.

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
Little hard to tell from the pics. It looks like chips but maybe that’s just the pic and lighting. It’s interesting. My reg gt350 the paint and fit and finish are very good. My HE R the paint is very good but the hood was slightly off. I fixed that. My 22 450 Platinum paint and fit are very good. My wife’s explorer st is very good to.

Why not? They do this very thing for Lincolns and have a completely different standard. Even completely wrapped in plastic at the factory. As I said above, people can justify the lacking quality however they wish. My 71k dollar 2020 superduty had much better exterior fit and finish.

Classic Lover

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Dodge Challenger T/A 392 6 speed manual.

Great point but I’d like to add something.

A 1970 gt500 fastback had an msrp of 4,700 dollars, that’s about 36,000 dollars adjusted for inflation. Now we could argue about how you get so much more in the new car than the old one, power, performance, etc. however the difference is, it’s just not the same people buying the cars today or maybe it’s the exact same people and that’s the problem. The folks who were buying the muscle cars of yore were mostly younger men, today it’s mostly older men, that comes down to cost, and the fact that young people don’t want to drive anymore.

So to answer your question no they were not looking at the inside of their wheels for imperfections, they were to busy living life and probably driving and racing the car, not parking it in a garage and driving it once every other weekend. I am happily driving my 392 challenger manual as my daily driver at 23, up and down gravel roads and hauling truck parts in the trunk. Now I’m glad if you have the money to afford one of these awesome 700+ hp mustangs and yes treat it well but remember it’s a car, it’s supposed to be driven and if there’s a small imperfection on the back of a wheel, who cares.

my two cents.
Sponsored