Sponsored

Any reason not to remove my surfboard sized engine cover on my 5.0?

2022 Mach 1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cameron
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1...2014 Mustag GT whipple supercharger
I got a refund. We agreed mine was faulty, the tune or readings that came with the box. But, when it worked you really could feel the difference compared to stock. This is my thread I started when things went iffy with the box.

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/pre-collision-assist-not-available-message.175415/

After returning to stock things were normal again. Steeda gave me just a tune (no CAI) I was happy with until I upgraded.
Thanks for the reply. I read the link. Good info.
Sponsored

junits15

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I removed my cover shortly after bringing the car home. The oil fill neck can be removed, then you can add the fill cap directly to the valve cover. I just reinstall the neck when I change the oil, since it is easier to pour oil in with the neck in place.

Doug
How do you remove that filler neck? I tried twisting counter clockwise and it felt like it was gonna break so I stopped. I want to take mine off too

D Bergstrom

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
How do you remove that filler neck? I tried twisting counter clockwise and it felt like it was gonna break so I stopped. I want to take mine off too
It's the same as the fill cap, 1/8 to 1/4 turn counter clockwise and off it comes, then you just put the fill cap in its place.

Doug

Soonertim4

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
2021 twister orange gt performance pack
I took my cover off cpl months ago. Like the way it looks without it. Oh and Selma lost about 4-5 pounds

Sponsored

TonyNJ

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
22 GT500HE Black Stripes, 20 GT350HE, 16 GT350R Ba
There must be a reason the engineers put that cover on. Can't just be cosmetic. Has Ford ever talked about it?

Mike Pfeifer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red Mustang GT A10
There must be a reason the engineers put that cover on. Can't just be cosmetic. Has Ford ever talked about it?
Itā€™s definitely purely cosmetic. I thought maybe it was to dampen some engine noise as well, but itā€™s just plastic and has no acoustic properties. I also doubt there is any heat benefit either.

TonyNJ

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
22 GT500HE Black Stripes, 20 GT350HE, 16 GT350R Ba
Itā€™s definitely purely cosmetic. I thought maybe it was to dampen some engine noise as well, but itā€™s just plastic and has no acoustic properties. I also doubt there is any heat benefit either.
Maybe it's a cover to prevent dust/dirt/corrosion?

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Sometimes it does break, there's a little locking nub. Mine broke off. Make sure it doesn't fall into the valve cover (the cover's tabs wont break, so no worry there).

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
The problem I have with removing the cover is that I find the engine even uglier without it. All you can see without the cover is a chaotic array of cables, pipes, hoses, connectors, all mixed together in an incomprehensible mess. It looks like Rod Stewart's hair.

Sponsored

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
The problem I have with removing the cover is that I find the engine even uglier without it. All you can see without the cover is a chaotic array of cables, pipes, hoses, connectors, all mixed together in an incomprehensible mess. It looks like Rod Stewart's hair.
I kind of agree, but the intake manifold looks nice. I just removed mine since it doesn't serve a real purpose, traps heat over the coils and for many different mods/repairs requires removal as a first step anyway, lol.

Zooks527

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 KB GT, 401A, 6MT, PP1, S&S, MR, AE, B&O / 2005 Toyota Tacoma
I noticed lower cylinder head temps when I pulled mine off. I usually sat around 210, give or take, now the car comfortably sits around 196/198 unless I'm idling for a while.
^^^Well that's just a bonus!!
Not really. The engine runs more efficiently at a higher cylinder head temperature. What benefits do you think a lower temperature would provide?

That being said, mine came off in the first week, because I prefer the look without it.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Yea, you can't put your beverage, sandwich or snacks nearby when working on the car.... šŸ˜

junits15

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Sometimes it does break, there's a little locking nub. Mine broke off. Make sure it doesn't fall into the valve cover (the cover's tabs wont break, so no worry there).
Yeah Iā€™m gonna leave it on lol, it doesnā€™t bother me that much
Sponsored