theslerg

theslerg

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Darren
Vehicle(s)
2011 California Special GT
From pictures I'm seeing online. There is an insert inside this 22 unit. 18 thru 21 do not have the insert inside the tube.

Looks good

OP
OP
theslerg

theslerg

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Darren
Vehicle(s)
20220815_190926.jpg

OP
OP
theslerg

theslerg

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Darren
Vehicle(s)
20220815_192522.jpg

Sponsored

VelR5.0GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 F150 5.0, 2022 Mustang GT
I also noticed the honeycomb yesterday but I guess didn't pay too much attention that it was an insert and not built in. I speculated the honeycomb was to straighten the airflow in a more laminar fashion since the carbon trap may be altering it now. So thinking about it, the '22 MAF area is slightly (1-2mm) smaller as well. Wondering if Ford is restricting the '22-23s in order to show a sizeable "gain" in the '24s.
I was thinking about taking advantage of the vacuum reading ability. This should help in figuring out if these additions/changes are an actual restriction. Going WOT and keeping a log while deleting the carbon trap, then the housing for it and finally the insert. Got to keep an eye on the AFR as well but doubt the changes are sizeable enough to throw the ECM off to compensate for fueling changes.

young at heart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 GT vert A10 / 23 Mach 1 A10 / 23 Mach 1 Tremec
I also noticed the honeycomb yesterday but I guess didn't pay too much attention that it was an insert and not built in. I speculated the honeycomb was to straighten the airflow in a more laminar fashion since the carbon trap may be altering it now. So thinking about it, the '22 MAF area is slightly (1-2mm) smaller as well. Wondering if Ford is restricting the '22-23s in order to show a sizeable "gain" in the '24s.
I was thinking about taking advantage of the vacuum reading ability. This should help in figuring out if these additions/changes are an actual restriction. Going WOT and keeping a log while deleting the carbon trap, then the housing for it and finally the insert. Got to keep an eye on the AFR as well but doubt the changes are sizeable enough to throw the ECM off to compensate for fueling changes.
If all these things are true (and Iā€™m not saying they arenā€™t) then it has taken Ford a LOT more effort than originally reported to scare off a measly 10 hp. So far there are what, 6-7 changes being talked about when in reality any one of them alone would have probably done the trick. Why would they need all the cascading changes? And IMO it wouldnā€™t be logical for them to go to this much trouble (and expense) just to make the 2024 bump seem more impressive.

I realize that I may be whistling past the graveyard here, and yes until what they really did or didnā€™t do is sussed out itā€™s gonna be talked about on and on. Thatā€™s fair and Iā€™m right in there. But I will say that if I had never heard about this issue Iā€™d almost bet that motor for motor my 22 pulls even harder than my 20. And yeah, Iā€™m pretty sure Iā€™d notice. Guys chase smaller gains than this all the time.

As soon as thereā€™s a way to monetize the results somebody will strap a couple cars to the dyno and find out for sure. There are too many variables involved and the cars are so close anyway thereā€™s no reliable way to find out at the strip.

OP
OP
theslerg

theslerg

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Darren
Vehicle(s)
If you do that, let me know! I'm currently tuned.

Sponsored

young at heart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If you do that, let me know! I'm currently tuned.
Wait your 22 is tuned? Please tell us about it and what difference the tune has made.

A 22 doesnā€™t show in your profile or sig but obviously you have one.

2022 Mach 1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cameron
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1...2014 Mustag GT whipple supercharger
Track times and syno sheets are tough to find for the 22. There are tons on the 21. I've been hoping to go to the strip but woth the heat at 100 plus for the past several weeks it would be a waste.

Has anyone 1/4 or dynod theirs or has links to see someone who has?

young at heart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Track times and syno sheets are tough to find for the 22. There are tons on the 21. I've been hoping to go to the strip but woth the heat at 100 plus for the past several weeks it would be a waste.

Has anyone 1/4 or dynod theirs or has links to see someone who has?
Youā€˜re exactly right and I pointed this out a short while back. Most ā€œtestersā€ just use 2021 figures.

Canā€™t wait to see what you discover.

OP
OP
theslerg

theslerg

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Darren
Vehicle(s)
Yes, sir. Ran a 12.50 @ 114 stock. Incredibly bad wheel hop.

Did a subframe lockout kit and E85 tune. Ram 12.00 @ 117.5. I'm disappointed actually.

2022 Mach 1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cameron
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1...2014 Mustag GT whipple supercharger
Yes, sir. Ran a 12.50 @ 114 stock. Incredibly bad wheel hop.

Did a subframe lockout kit and E85 tune. Ram 12.00 @ 117.5. I'm disappointed actually.
That's right you did. Can you post your slips again? What tires and pressures of the runs as well
Sponsored