Look what I discovered in my 22! 🤨

Mspider

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT
For those thinking about removing it and gaining back 10hp. I am not convinced removing it would result in 10HP. I remember ford saying they also adjusted the factory calibration. Just because you give something more air flow doesn't mean the computer will respond always.
Sponsored

AvalancheSVT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Douglas
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT PP1 6spd
the tune won't allow for any more power than stock.
the charcoal filter must be removable. looks like it has tabs on it.

i'd leave it alone until we learn more about hwat its for and when it comes time to replace it just... don't after you remove it.

2022 Mach 1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cameron
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1...2014 Mustag GT whipple supercharger
pcv valves and cats on new cars.
What's funny is
the tune won't allow for any more power than stock.
the charcoal filter must be removable. looks like it has tabs on it.

i'd leave it alone until we learn more about hwat its for and when it comes time to replace it just... don't after you remove it.
It's no different than any other charcoal filter. It's used for catching hydrocarbons.

AvalancheSVT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Douglas
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT PP1 6spd
What's funny is

It's no different than any other charcoal filter. It's used for catching hydrocarbons.
not sure what you're getting at...

i will point out that it is not the same as other charcoal traps because it seems to obstruct the intake path.

Sponsored

2022 Mach 1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cameron
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1...2014 Mustag GT whipple supercharger
not sure what you're getting at...

i will point out that it is not the same as other charcoal traps because it seems to obstruct the intake path.
Other manufacturers been using the exact same type as this for years now. (I believe another member mentioned this above that its on their Tacoma)Ford needed a cheap way to meet the new standard and this was their solution. The effect on air flow is minimal at most. We had a change in 2015 which introduced the smaller filter you see in the previous years. Again the regulations for HC updated and to be compliant Ford shoved a larger filter in its place. We have heard the tune was changed and it was to adjust for what minimal airflow deficiency this caused. That's what I'm getting at

AvalancheSVT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Douglas
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT PP1 6spd
Other manufacturers been using the exact same type as this for years now. (I believe another member mentioned this above that its on their Tacoma)Ford needed a cheap way to meet the new standard and this was their solution. The effect on air flow is minimal at most. We had a change in 2015 which introduced the smaller filter you see in the previous years. Again the regulations for HC updated and to be compliant Ford shoved a larger filter in its place. We have heard the tune was changed and it was to adjust for what minimal airflow deficiency this caused. That's what I'm getting at
yeah. still dumb. EPA is retarded.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
Good grief. I'm sure that emission control is going to save the planet. Must be a CA thing.

Don't get me wrong. I don't miss the 50's and 60's when cars spewed blue clouds of buring oil. Or when someone with a high lift cam could have an after-burner firing off unspent fuel at the tail pipe. But this is eco minutiae.

If I could click my heels and go back to when all you needed was a dwell meter and timing light.
You absolutely nailed it.

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
I was asking if the 22 also has the tiny carbon trap the previous years had, as well as this bigger filter.
This one (from my 2020) :

1635583999606.jpeg

WD :like:

Sponsored

luca1290

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Luca
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Mercedes A250 4Matic (W177)
Is this active charcoal filter good for the life of the car? I doubt it because there is an immense flow of air traveling through it. Should be specified somewhere in the manual how often it should be replaced.

I don't know if EU cars come with this but from what I see I can say a couple of things:
  1. It's there to comply with (read: cheat) some unrealistic emission requirement.
  2. It will last 2k to 3k miles and then it's completely useless for it's purpose, whatever it is.
  3. It's bad for the environment, car will consume more and it takes energy and materials to produce the damn thing.
  4. It looks to me the intake box is the same to the previous model year and that thing is "hot welded" to it somehow, it should pop right off and with a file or sandpaper you can finish it to perfection.
It's the first "mod" I will apply to my car.

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase

luca1290

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Luca
Vehicle(s)
The 2020 carbon filter (normally sits in the air box lid) :like:

WD :like:
I see.... (walks away hoping nobody noticed... :blush:).
What's its purpose? I can't wrap my head around it, seems to be fixed where nothing much happens.. no airflow through it.
What material is it?

The new bigger filter is an upgrade to this?

luca1290

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Luca
Vehicle(s)
Probably I understood by myself with some research:

I guess the previous gen "the small rectangle" was some sort of absorbent material put near where the hot HC fumes will flow back when engine shuts down. This hopefully catches most of the HC then when the engine starts up again these are taken back. In my understanding it was not blocking the flow of air.

Then regulations changed and now we have "the bigger active charcoal blocker" that sits on the clean side of the filter and all air is forced to pass through, it catches all HC mists 100%, but block the flow of air.

Did I get it?
Sponsored