Sponsored

Fuel smell after installing UPR catch can. How to remove the smell?

Colin1337

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1, 2015 VW GTI PP
I have the same one, and I occasionally also get a fuely oily smell. I assume the smell comes through the filter on the top of the catch can. Just recycle the air in the cabin when you have your AC/heat on and it gets rid of the smell.
Sponsored

OP
OP
KKell83

KKell83

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kenneth
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I have the same one, and I occasionally also get a fuely oily smell. I assume the smell comes through the filter on the top of the catch can. Just recycle the air in the cabin when you have your AC/heat on and it gets rid of the smell.

Glad to know I'm not the only one. Ha.

And I've been doing this lately. Seems to get me by.

Bobby57

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium Convertible
This model has a breather as it’s only outlet for filtered crankcase pressure, rather than having its outlet going to the throttle body, as does mine, and does most others I have seen.

Breathers are known to give off oil orders, though I have one that is separate from my catch can, in place of the oi fille, and so far I have not been bothered by oily fumes.

I understood that the whole point of the PVC system was to improve the environment by recycling crankcase blow gas to combustion rather than dumping it into the atmosphere, so I’m surprised that this particular catch does not do so. Not sure why

Sponsored

Bobby57

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
It's meant for Mustang GT 5.0's and V6 Mustang's.
I missed that — see that now.

I guess it comes down to whether you want to use a catch can that recycles or vents, Venting is better for the engine and performance, but not as good for the environment or the nose.

Perhaps you are experiencing a fair amount of blowby, perhaps as a function of high boost pressure and, perhaps, you have a high-milage engine that has seen some wear to its rings/pistons?

OP
OP
KKell83

KKell83

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kenneth
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I missed that — see that now.

I guess it comes down to whether you want to use a catch can that recycles or vents, Venting is better for the engine and performance, but not as good for the environment or the nose.

Perhaps you are experiencing a fair amount of blowby, perhaps as a function of high boost pressure and, perhaps, you have a high-milage engine that has seen some wear to its rings/pistons?

I can't say anything about engine wear but it does have 27k miles.

I'd rather not smell fuel, that's for sure.

Bobby57

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
I can't say anything about engine wear but it does have 27k miles.

I'd rather not smell fuel, that's for sure.
27K is nothing for these engines, so long as they are well maintained and not terribly abused

OP
OP
KKell83

KKell83

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kenneth
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I decided to buy a new UPR catch can - the version recommended by them.
Sponsored