New Loud Exhaust Law

Nardly

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bernard
Vehicle(s)
21 Mach 1 Twister Orange M2425 Chassis
Just found out starting tomorrow in Virginia police can pull you if they think your exhaust is to loud. My Mach 1 is stock, I shouldn’t have to worry about being pulled over but now it’s up to the discretion of a cop what is to loud? And once pulled they can cherry pick other violations. How are y’all in similar states dealing with this?
Sponsored

Firsttexan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2011 GT500 '19 GT PP1 '13 GT500, 98 GT, 92 LX 5.0
Vehicle Showcase
Active exhaust can be pretty loud on track setting. If they have been told to clean it up, I could see how some PDs may get a woody over it.

In hard times, cities are looking for more revenue. Tickets are an easy mark.

glockholiday

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium
Most states have something like this but there is an official test that should be done to actually ticket for it. I've seen the little portable decibel meters and they set it up a certain distance from your car and there is a certain decibel number and you either pass or fail.

OP
OP
Nardly

Nardly

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bernard
Vehicle(s)
21 Mach 1 Twister Orange M2425 Chassis
Most states have something like this but there is an official test that should be done to actually ticket for it. I've seen the little portable decibel meters and they set it up a certain distance from your car and there is a certain decibel number and you either pass or fail.
I read they have to measure from 50 feet and be no louder than 85 db. Even if you pass, will you get pulled a few days later? If he sees my lack of a front plate I’m in for a fine. Like has been said, just a revenue generator.

Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
So do these “loud laws” apply to Harleys? I mean, not to get off topic or pick on any Enthusiast group, but I mean seriously, there’s Harleys that are louder at idle, take off AND cruising speed than ANY Performance/Muscle/Sport car…

IMO, if the vehicle comes “as built” with features for allowing a louder exhaust tone, it was legal per the Manufacturer As Built, it was legal to sell in the State it was sold, and it’s not breaking any laws related to emissions and/or exhaust.

Sound ordinance laws? Maybe, but only IF the law specifically states a time period during the day that dB has to be a certain level OR you’re in a painfully strict HOA Community, Condo or Apt. Community where it’s specifically outlined in their Policy/Procedure/HOA By Laws that such won’t be tolerated.

Keep your owners manual handy, bookmark the AE pages and pull it to prove your exhaust is factory IF pulled over. IF you’re breaking a sound ordinance law due to time of day or HOA/Community, then that’s a totally different issue.

As far as being pulled over with a stock exhaust system but have other items that may get you flagged for additional violations, that’s on you. If you’re initially pulled for probable cause, such as a “loud exhaust” or say even window tint… you’re already opening yourself up for the officer to find via visual inspection other violations IF in sight and you’re in the wrong. That’s the thing with probable cause - if they had an initial reason to pull you over, they can get you for XYZ in addition to the initial stop.

Zooks527

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 KB GT, 401A, 6MT, PP1, S&S, MR, AE, B&O / 2005 Toyota Tacoma
No problem. Set up MyMode to have AE on Quiet. If you see lights behind you, you reach over, flip the switch until MyMode comes up, and the officer pulls over a quiet car. Or, if you're really quick, do it on the steering wheel with the pony button.

Zooks527

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 KB GT, 401A, 6MT, PP1, S&S, MR, AE, B&O / 2005 Toyota Tacoma
So do these “loud laws” apply to Harleys? I mean, not to get off topic or pick on any Enthusiast group, but I mean seriously, there’s Harleys that are louder at idle, take off AND cruising speed than ANY Performance/Muscle/Sport car…
Way off topic, but I'm going to a friend's funeral tomorrow. He was big into Harleys (died while riding his, in fact) and I expect there'll be a large rider presence during the trip to the cemetery. I plan to have my exhaust set to Track in deference to what I think would be his exhaust preference.

Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
No problem. Set up MyMode to have AE on Quiet. If you see lights behind you, you reach over, flip the switch until MyMode comes up, and the officer pulls over a quiet car. Or, if you're really quick, do it on the steering wheel with the pony button.
Might help but unlikely if he already has you on the meter at above the limit. Unless you can prove you were not in sport or track (which you can’t) it wouldn’t help. Unless you get a nice cop.

WItoTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Stop driving like an asshole tends to clear up the issue for most folks. Here in Texas there is a claim that PD are hammering people with deleted trucks. Dig into their assertion a little bit and find out they were driving 30 over, blowing black smoke, and tailgating everyone in front of them.

I know a guy who has gone 9 years with a deleted truck, and never an issue with it and the police.

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Every state has it's own laws. In FL, they have 3 categories (passenger vehicle, commercial vehicle, motorcycle) and 2 different categories for db threshold (on roads 30 mph or less and on roads above 30 mph). There's other provisions for how far the measurement is supposed to be, etc. Of course each county and municipality can add to the state law and if all that fails, the officer has things like improper equipment they can fall back on.

I've said it before. Drifting is a plague that's going to eventually ruin a bunch of stuff. Drifting has spawned "takeover culture" where idiots literally takeover public intersections and then proceed to do doughnuts in a circle jerk. This whole scourge is pissing off the Karens and they're all lobbying their elected representatives to do something about it. Because they largely can't do much, they do as CA did and they fall back into either passing harsher exhaust laws or enforcing them fully.

There's always been heat for street racing, but this takeover nonsense is elevating things to another level, and it's virtually everywhere. A bunch of genetically recessive mongoloids who think spinning the tires on any shitbox car is cool and appealing. Of course there are laws against doing it on public roads or intersections already, but because they're very difficult to enforce and because the average citizen can't live with "there's nothing we can do" we see emphasis on exhaust laws.

opengl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1 400A 6MT
I'm fine with them finally cracking down on loud vehicles. Harleys are by far the worst, but it seems like everyone and their mother is now running catless, smelly with a crackle/pop tune. It's irritating and I don't know how anyone actually likes the way that sounds.

Mspider

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT
With electric cars becoming more popular/available (in years to come), and emission laws around getting stricter.

I do see governments around the world (US included) putting all different kinds of regulations on gas cars. In all reality most people would probably prefer the roads to be quiet and no emissions.

Enjoy it while it last boys.
Sponsored