Sponsored

For a daily driver with plans to track it, GT350 or GT?

Tx88

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jenna
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Altima, Ford F-150
I am planning to purchase either a GT or GT350 by the end of this year or Spring/Summer of 2023 but am undecided on which to get. Currently the car would only be used as a daily driver with some spirited country/city driving on well maintained roads with plans to hopefully track it by 2024. The GT350 is undoubtedly my dream car and I would love to get my hands on one - The engine, the history, the curb appeal, fantastic handling & everything else that makes a GT350 a GT350 has me sold. However it would be my only car and I would hate to "ruin" or "waste" such a special car by racking up mileage around town. Would it be enjoyed, absolutely! Would it be tracked much? Most likely not as much as it deserves to be. On the flip side, the GT is more reliable and with a front bumper swap (purely for looks) + some work (I do like a good project car) I believe it could be turned into a track beast while also making a capable daily. Has anyone modded their GT to become a track car comparable to the GT350 or know of someone who did? For the people who have owned both, which did you like best and what would you recommend? The plan would be to hold onto the GT350 till I die or it does and as for the mustang it'd either be a keeper or sold later down the road for a GT350R. The last thing I want to do is regret buying a GT or vis versa so all opinions/input is greatly appreciated!
Sponsored

Hye Power

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang, 1985 mustang
Yes there is a few of us in California that track the gt. I personally think the mach1 is the perfect blend of the 2 got the reliable coyote motor with the tremec transmission. I mysle am now n my 3rd transmission the mt82 is not very stout for track duty.

dyno.jpg

Nov-07-2021-Speed Ventures (Sun)-Orange-Session 1 Roval-ACS_0580_Nov0721_1014AM_CaliPhoto_opti...jpg

OP
OP

Tx88

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jenna
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Altima, Ford F-150
Yes there is a few of us in California that track the gt. I personally think the mach1 is the perfect blend of the 2 got the reliable coyote motor with the tremec transmission. I mysle am now n my 3rd transmission the mt82 is not very stout for track duty.

dyno.jpg

Nov-07-2021-Speed Ventures (Sun)-Orange-Session 1 Roval-ACS_0580_Nov0721_1014AM_CaliPhoto_opti...jpg
That is a sweet GT, sorry to hear about your transmission though. The MT82 transmission horror stories are exactly what scare me in regards to owning/tracking a GT. You do make a good point about the Mach 1, and I may very well look into buying a brand new 2023 as I've heard great things about them! My only issue is I'm not a huge fan of the front fascia but the idea of putting a GT350 bumper on a Mach 1 just sounds sinful.

Firsttexan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2011 GT500 '19 GT PP1 '13 GT500, 98 GT, 92 LX 5.0
Vehicle Showcase
GTs are readily available. The GT350 is becoming less so. Buy the most car you can afford now. You will end up spending less down the line IMO. Get the GT350 or an R if you can find and afford it.

matthewr87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
The nice thing about the GT350 is that you can drive it straight from the dealership to the track (as long as you bring your helmet). In any case the GT guys will say GT and the GT350 guys will say GT350. All I will add to this is that if you are worried about wear and tear from daily driving then you will really dislike the wear and tear from track use. In other words, if you plan to track the car then don't worry about racking up miles on the street. Even if you wrap your car in a plastic bubble for the track (like the Lamborghini and Ferrari folks do) you never know when some guy in a Miata is going to fly into the back of you because he was running 10 year old tires "that are still good".

Sponsored

ecoboost321

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350R ; 2018 Tesla Model 3
Lots of good advice already on this thread. Another thing to consider is much likely to find low mile or great condition (documented care) GT350/GT350R now. Years down the road will be more difficult in my opinion.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
The daily driver GT 350 topic has already been discussed. Yes, you can daily it, but most don't. Its a shame you can't have a beater for a DD and use the 350 for a weekend/track car. That would be the best solution.

I don't know if he's still around but @UnhandledException daily drove his '17 track pack and just recently traded it in. I think he had 80K miles on it. So it has been done and it can be done, but I probably wouldn't do it.

WItoTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
A little background before I give my opinion. I started in a Focus ST, where it was also my daily ride along with an AutoX car. I put a lot of miles on that car, and it was fantastic. I realized I wanted to get faster, and found a deal on a WB Hellcat. But what I realized was the HC was no longer getting daily driven (I also have a daily driver), and was too nice (and heavy) to feel good about modifying it. I hated putting miles on it because I was not using the car to its full potential both for power and speed, as well as its usefulness as a 4 door family car, and it wasn't good at AutoX. So I sold and went to my current GT350. I rarely drive my GT350 except to and from autox events, and maybe a car show a month. I don't put many miles on it, so I no longer stress about that part, and it's not a family car so I don't feel obligated to use it. Ever. It makes it special every time I get into the driver seat. And I love that feeling.

If you are going to feel bad racking up miles, get a GT. I autox my GT350 with another guy who totalled his GT350 and went to a GT and a ton of mods (I am talking 40k worth of mods on a 40k car). His car is definitely even with mine, but he dumped a ton of $$$ into it to get it there. If you want that special feeling every time you get into the drivers seat, and can afford a daily ride, I would say go for the GT350 or 350R.

Now, if I were to do it all again, I would go Mach 1 with the HP. Or whatever the best track setup is for that car. The 5.0 is a better platform to work off of, has more mod's, and has a TON of R&D put into it just in terms of miles on the road vs the 5.2. Not only that, but all the best parts of the GT350 in terms of suspension set up, brakes, etc...were carried over and refined in the Mach 1. It's an awesome car at an excellent price point.

Good luck let us know what you do!

Bullitt Tooth Tony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350 H3929
I track mine and its my daily, and my only car. It's definitely doable, but I'm not going to lie, it takes a lot of effort and diligence to keep it running tip-top for all scenarios. I honestly think a Mach 1 would probably be more practical for my needs, but I love the Voodoo too much to ever get rid of it.

Will the GT350 give you more anxiety and frustration? Absolutely. Does the fun outweigh it? Definitely, though that might be different for everyone.

I have absolutely no regrets with my GT350 in the 18 months I've owned it, though I'll admit I'm already looking for a shitbox to daily in the winter. The GT350 is definitely out of it's element in the snow...

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible

Sponsored

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
The 5.0 is a better platform to work off of
Agreed. The 5.0 cross plane crank is a much more reliable engine. You cant beat the voodoo sound and uniqueness, but If I was going to DD it, I would rather have a CPC myself.

paulm1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
pau
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT mustang
I just had my first track day with my new '21 base GT. Did not get the PP cause i can do better stuff to the car with the $6500. Couple things to consider, i can track it all i want and still have factory warranty if something breaks and is a mach 1 really worth the extra 20grand? I had 2 mach 1 's at the event with me and both of them could not catch me to pass.....until my brakes started to fade.

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
Couple things to consider, i can track it all i want and still have factory warranty if something breaks and is a mach 1 really worth the extra 20grand? I had 2 mach 1 's at the event with me and both of them could not catch me to pass.....until my brakes started to fade.
If you're going to mod it, for sure getting a base GT for mid 30s and doing 20k worth of mods will be better than stock Mach.

If you want a 100% stock car that you can just get in and drive without worrying about issues and/or warranty then you can't beat the Mach.

Dana Pants

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dana
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1
It is more fun to track something you can crash and not feel too bad about. So if you go for a gt350, make sure you can afford to wreck it financially and emotionally. (Including track insurance)
Sponsored