Reaction score
Website
wengerdperformance.com
First Name
Derel
Vehicle(s)
18 GT Whipple 15 Mustang GT TT 18 F150 VMP ODIN
The tune was NOT the issue here.

A intake (larger diameter) simply requires calibration of the maf transfer...

Your car had a issue as we used our proven maf transfer data for your new intake and even added an additional 30 percent fueling to the maf and your car was still lean up to 30 percent on the fuel trims.

We advised you swap back to the other intake multiple times as there is a underlying issue.

We logged you back on the other intake and as we clearly told you the issue would go away and trims within 5 percent.

Running the car with 30-50% fuel trims is a asking for a disaster.

Running the the cylinder heads temps to 260 is also asking for failure.

We even verified this by sending you a stock tune with maf transfer data and LU47 data only and as you remember it has the same lean issue with that intake you installed.

Every other car with this intake has 0 issues.

We even sent you a stock tune with 130mm data and still had a lean condition when it should have been a rich condition .

No matter what tuner would have input the data for your maf transfer you would have had the same lean condition till the underlying issue is resolved.

A tune can not fix a mechanical issue/vacuum leaks or fueling issues.

You can easily view your datalogs and plot maf lb min against maf period and see you have a accurate maf transfer data and one that is even 30 percent high on maf data but still shows 30 percent lean trims

This was an issue not tuning related
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
tdstuart

tdstuart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Triston
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Gt Premium
The tune was NOT the issue here.

A intake (larger diameter) simply requires calibration of the maf transfer...

Your car had a issue as we used our proven maf transfer data for your new intake and even added an additional 30 percent fueling to the maf and your car was still lean up to 30 percent on the fuel trims.

We advised you swap back to the other intake multiple times as there is a underlying issue.

We logged you back on the other intake and as we clearly told you the issue would go away and trims within 5 percent.

Running the car with 30-50% fuel trims is a asking for a disaster.

Running the the cylinder heads temps to 260 is also asking for failure.

We even verified this by sending you a stock tune with maf transfer data only and as you remember it has the same lean issue qity that intake you installed.

Every other car with this intake has 0 issues.

We even sent you a stock tune with 130mm data and still had a lean condition when it should have been a rich condition

This was an issue not tuning related
Never blamed it on bad tuning. Just said my tune was off, which it was, and I took the risk of running the car like that.

Not trying to say you guys messed up, just saying the car was fueling correcting a ton and I took the risk of running the car like that.

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Never blamed it on bad tuning. Just said my tune was off, which it was, and I took the risk of running the car like that.

Not trying to say you guys messed up, just saying the car was fueling correcting a ton and I took the risk of running the car like that.
can't blame the guy for trying to defend his business. I am just being unbiased, but if someone said 'the tune blew engine' and diditn really specify the variable of stuff that could of gone wrong, me as a general reader would be like, man I'm not getting tuned there.

but since you guys got it all out in the air, and such. it sucks. hope the rebuild happens quickly and easy.

either way your car will end up being better than ever I'm sure! you are way ballsier than me. I would of had that thing parked entire time til it was perfected 100000%.

DougS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP Whipple Stage 2
Yeah no kidding. I don't think I've ever gone above 235Ā° and if I start approaching 230Ā° I get off the fun pedal. Heat is a big killer with these engines. Good luck with the build.
I'm surprised no one has come up with a program which you can set your max temperature where your engine will go limp mode untill sufficient cooling has been achieved. Same for low oil pressure, like max RPM limiter.

Sponsored

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
I'm surprised no one has come up with a program which you can set your max temperature where your engine will go limp mode untill sufficient cooling has been achieved. Same for low oil pressure, like max RPM limiter.
Both are easily doable. They might even be set up already in the stock cal. Iā€™ll have to checkā€¦

DougS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
Both are easily doable. They might even be set up already in the stock cal. Iā€™ll have to checkā€¦
For me it's a no brainer. Why would you not be able to set limits/perimeters which could save thousands in engine repairs.

OP
OP
tdstuart

tdstuart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Triston
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Gt Premium
šŸ¦ˆ dun dun.... dun dun.... dun dun dun dun dun dun dun dun..... šŸ¦ˆ
can't blame the guy for trying to defend his business. I am just being unbiased, but if someone said 'the tune blew engine' and diditn really specify the variable of stuff that could of gone wrong, me as a general reader would be like, man I'm not getting tuned there.

but since you guys got it all out in the air, and such. it sucks. hope the rebuild happens quickly and easy.

either way your car will end up being better than ever I'm sure! you are way ballsier than me. I would of had that thing parked entire time til it was perfected 100000%.
Ya I just got annoyed that no matter what we did the car didnā€™t like the tune and intake. Said F it and ran the car anyway.

Im not gonna blame wengerd for my engine blowing, they stated that I should switch to my stock intake as the car was fuel correcting heavily. Maybe they couldnā€™t tune the intake right, maybe the intake is still leaking from somewhere, maybe the intake has a defect I canā€™t see, idk. But Im not gonna say that my engine blew because of them, was my choice to drive the car with the car fuel correcting so high.

I think Iā€™ll switch tuners anyway. Not gonna start saying anything till I have some confirmation of what I believe, but overall the customer service isnā€™t what I want. Maybe itā€™s just me as a client, but I honestly feel like wengerd is always pissed at me and doesnā€™t want to talk. Maybe Iā€™m just a bad client, but I work and deal with customers constantly so I feel like I should know what to expect and how to act.

Either way doesnā€™t matter much to the original point that wengerd didnā€™t blow my engine. The tune may have but thatā€™s only cause I ran it even tho it was fuel correcting heavily.

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
For me it's a no brainer. Why would you not be able to set limits/perimeters which could save thousands in engine repairs.
Ok, in the factory stock Mustang GT tune, there are rev limiters that come in lower as engine oil, engine coolant, and transmission oil temp increase. When engine coolant exceeds 244 deg F, the rev limiter starts coming down. By 260 F, it's only 3000 rpm. There's also a lower rev limiter for low oil pressure. And finally, there are spark timing reductions at high coolant temp and lean A/F but some tuners zero a lot of this stuff out to get the limits out of the way.

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2018 Acura MDX
Ya I just got annoyed that no matter what we did the car didnā€™t like the tune and intake. Said F it and ran the car anyway.

Im not gonna blame wengerd for my engine blowing, they stated that I should switch to my stock intake as the car was fuel correcting heavily. Maybe they couldnā€™t tune the intake right, maybe the intake is still leaking from somewhere, maybe the intake has a defect I canā€™t see, idk. But Im not gonna say that my engine blew because of them, was my choice to drive the car with the car fuel correcting so high.

I think Iā€™ll switch tuners anyway. Not gonna start saying anything till I have some confirmation of what I believe, but overall the customer service isnā€™t what I want. Maybe itā€™s just me as a client, but I honestly feel like wengerd is always pissed at me and doesnā€™t want to talk. Maybe Iā€™m just a bad client, but I work and deal with customers constantly so I feel like I should know what to expect and how to act.

Either way doesnā€™t matter much to the original point that wengerd didnā€™t blow my engine. The tune may have but thatā€™s only cause I ran it even tho it was fuel correcting heavily.
Lunds treated me great for the last 3 years and multiple tune revisions when I added/ changed stuff. And I've never seen them trolling the forums. It's a win win.

Sponsored

DougS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
Ok, in the factory stock Mustang GT tune, there are rev limiters that come in lower as engine oil, engine coolant, and transmission oil temp increase. When engine coolant exceeds 244 deg F, the rev limiter starts coming down. By 260 F, it's only 3000 rpm. There's also a lower rev limiter for low oil pressure. And finally, there are spark timing reductions at high coolant temp and lean A/F but some tuners zero a lot of this stuff out to get the limits out of the way.
For me, when I install my SC system, I will make sure my tuner knows safety of engine, is my #1 factor. I always have fun but will never do shit which I know will grenade my engine. So when shit does break,I know it was from having to much fun, not bypassing engine safety. Thanks

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
For me, when I install my SC system, I will make sure my tuner knows safety of engine, is my #1 factor. I always have fun but will never do shit which I know will grenade my engine. So when shit does break,I know it was from having to much fun, not bypassing engine safety. Thanks
If safety is your #1 factor, kiss pump gas goodbye haha

OP
OP
tdstuart

tdstuart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Triston
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Gt Premium
If safety is your #1 factor, kiss pump gas goodbye haha
I think if he sticks to 91/93 and doesnā€™t run a lot of boost he will be fine. But e85 and a good built in ethanol reader so he can read percentage real time would be the better option.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
Yea, unmetered air and MAF systems don't like each other :)

Sometimes personalities clash. I don't get along with Jon at Lund, not sure if it was Jr or Sr. Back around 2014.

Anyway I will never use Lund.

I am not affiliated with Wengerd in any way.

OP
OP
tdstuart

tdstuart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Triston
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Gt Premium
Yea, unmetered air and MAF systems don't like each other :)

Sometimes personalities clash. I don't get along with Jon at Lund, not sure if it was Jr or Sr. Back around 2014.

Anyway I will never use Lund.

I am not affiliated with Wengerd in any way.
Who would you recommend?

And ya sometimes people clash, lots of people seem happy with wengerd so itā€™s obviously not everyone.
Sponsored