Best Resonator Delete for Active Exhaust

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2019 Ram 1500
All parts arrived and began construction.... the Vibrant resonator is pretty dead-on 12 inches long, so I cut a 12" long section out of the driver's side of the H-pipe and bought a pair of 2-1/2" band clamps so I could wrap them around and tighten.

And as usual, we run into a roadblock... the H-pipe is 2.5" outer diameter. The resonator is 2.5" INNER diameter. RRRRGGGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!!! Was tightening the band clamps and could not figure out why it was taking so much force and nothing was getting tight. Got out the calipers and measured the Vibrant OD at 2.640". DAMMIT! Back to Amazon to order lap clamps... will probably eventually get it welded if I like it, but want to keep it reversible during experimentation. Starting out with just one resonator because I want a little more volume than stock but thought the straight X-pipe was too blatty.
Sponsored

Toretto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Iconic Silver
All parts arrived and began construction.... the Vibrant resonator is pretty dead-on 12 inches long, so I cut a 12" long section out of the driver's side of the H-pipe and bought a pair of 2-1/2" band clamps so I could wrap them around and tighten.

And as usual, we run into a roadblock... the H-pipe is 2.5" outer diameter. The resonator is 2.5" INNER diameter. RRRRGGGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!!! Was tightening the band clamps and could not figure out why it was taking so much force and nothing was getting tight. Got out the calipers and measured the Vibrant OD at 2.640". DAMMIT! Back to Amazon to order lap clamps... will probably eventually get it welded if I like it, but want to keep it reversible during experimentation. Starting out with just one resonator because I want a little more volume than stock but thought the straight X-pipe was too blatty.
Dang that sucks bro! But good luck, and looking forward to seeing/hearing the final product

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Roadblock #2: Amazon and NAPA suck.

Ordered a pair of lap joint clamps from Amazon on June 3 because they said they'd be delivered today, June 4. After this afternoon I won't have time to work on it for at least a week.

This morning Amazon said oops sorry we meant June 5. Dammit. Called / checked online at O'Reilly, Autozone, and Advance Auto, nobody had 2 in stock.

Against my better judgement I called Never Any Parts Available. The store closest to me is about 20 minutes away but they had one in stock, and they said the next farther store (another 20 mins) had one also. They'll call the other store and have both here ready for me to pick up in any hour. Perfect!

Waited 90 minutes and went up. They did have the one, I test fitted it on the resonator and a piece of pipe and it will work perfectly. But they looked and looked and couldn't find the one from the farther store. Finally they found the guy they sent to pick it up and he said the other store gave them some other parts but not the clamp. So they said if you want to pay for both now, we'll call the other store and tell them you're coming out to get it. Fine, one does me no good and I'm in the middle of this now. So they call the other store and tell them, I pay, and off we go.

Get to the other store and they said yeah, I know our computer shows one in stock but we can't find it. That's why we didn't give it to their pickup guy. MFERS!!!! :curse: :headbang:

So I returned the one clamp and got refunded for both and went home. Hour and a half of driving around in my 14 mpg truck with gas at $5 a gallon. NEVER AGAIN WILL I GO TO NAPA!

When I get home, as I am getting out of the truck, here comes the Amazon van delivering my clamps! Effing Jeff Bezos owes me about 20 bucks for gas!

Last edited:

MyStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
(GT350 X-pipe swap)
I have an MRT-H pipe. It's been on the car for 7yrs. I noticed when I started the car that there was condensation dripping underneath. I didn't think much of it until I pulled the exhaust off. I was shocked at what I saw. Both sides were cracked. Has anyone else seen this before?
IMG_2478.jpg

IMG_2477.jpg

MrBD1348

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 GT MT-82
I have a used GT350 stock X pipe on the way, will post results if there’s an easy way to account for the different pipe sizes.
i retrofitted my AE a week or so ago now i'm crafting the harnesses to activate it - but also picked up that same x-pipe and now i'm just waiting to get it installed. My work schedule interferes with the shop's welding schedule. I'm excited because the pipe is resonated and not just straight pipe

Sponsored

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Done! Summit H-pipe, one Vibrant 1792 resonator installed in the drivers side of the H, and held in with two Evil Energy lap joint clamps. First impression: love it!! When I have done start ups on straight H and X pipes before, it has been very splatty loud. This was loud inside, but also controlled, and the tone is definitely a little different, very unique, maybe more smooth and mellow and less choppy? Kind of like Irish whiskey compared to Bourbon LOL. (I love both, but there is a separate thread for that.). Video starts up in normal, then I switch to track, and finally to quiet. Have not had a chance for a road test, because it is clean and I am taking it to a show tomorrow and don’t want to get it dirty. So far all the work was worth it. Definitely had to take both mufflers off to be able to install the H, but the fit was excellent, and it took no effort to get the tips lined up. They sit a little lower than I would like but still pretty straight. Without taking off the mufflers, there would be no way to cut off the heat shields on the rear portion near the differential. Good clearances with the vibrant, the closest is about 1/2 inch where the factory heat reflector material ends near a plastic cut out. Total length of factory exhaust that I cut out was around 33-3/4". LOTS of room now for the AE wiring harnesses. Looking forward to some seat time!

B5ACA115-A9C6-4B6B-BAE8-2C3B633FA8A8.jpeg

F73E81ED-4642-41DB-9A23-851D0C03C918.jpeg

24388DC0-6EEC-41A7-A24B-576D273A7ACD.jpeg

3BABEC95-A0EB-43B6-9708-F9E368EDFD79.jpeg

Last edited:

traxiii

Mustang is my middle name
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Thunderbird F150 & '22 Mach 1 on order.
Done! Summit H-pipe, one Vibrant 1792 resonator installed in the drivers side of the H, and held in with two Evil Energy lap joint clamps. First impression: love it!! When I have done start ups on straight H and X pipes before, it has been very splatty loud. This was loud inside, but also controlled, and the tone is definitely a little different, very unique, maybe more smooth and mellow and less choppy? Kind of like Irish whiskey compared to Bourbon LOL. (I love both, but there is a separate thread for that.). Video starts up in normal, then I switch to track, and finally to quiet. Have not had a chance for a road test, because it is clean and I am taking it to a show tomorrow and don’t want to get it dirty. So far all the work was worth it. Definitely had to take both mufflers off to be able to install the H, but the fit was excellent, and it took no effort to get the tips lined up. They sit a little lower than I would like but still pretty straight. Without taking off the mufflers, there would be no way to cut off the heat shields on the rear portion near the differential. Good clearances with the vibrant, the closest is about 1/2 inch where the factory heat reflector material ends near a plastic cut out. Looking forward to some seat time!

B5ACA115-A9C6-4B6B-BAE8-2C3B633FA8A8.jpeg

F73E81ED-4642-41DB-9A23-851D0C03C918.jpeg

24388DC0-6EEC-41A7-A24B-576D273A7ACD.jpeg

3BABEC95-A0EB-43B6-9708-F9E368EDFD79.jpeg
Sounds like my old boat. It had twin 289 Interceptors with water cooled exhaust manifolds with no mufflers out through the transom.

What's with the one res/muff ???

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Sounds like my old boat. It had twin 289 Interceptors with water cooled exhaust manifolds with no mufflers out through the transom.

What's with the one res/muff ???
If you thought your old boat sounded good, I'll take that as a compliment. :like:

I wanted a little more volume than stock. I thought the Ford Peformance X-pipe was too loud and splatty. So instead of resonating both pipes like stock, I resonated one to split the difference.

MyStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
GT-350 X-Pipe with resonators.
Absolutely happy with the sound. No more annoying rasp. Just a follow-up for those interested in what it would sound like.

djcodeman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT roush SC
Will get a clip of my Pypes H-pipe + XForce active exhaust after I install it next week... the stock XForce resonator is pretty efficient at making the setup quiet...

Sponsored

Mspider

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT
Just wanted to throw this review on the forum somewhere.

Finally decided to get a resonator delete. Purchased the Ford Performance X-Pipe from my local Ford dealership and had them do the install. Which should keep the dealership away from blaming my X-pipe on a failed active exhaust. Before the install I also added electrical and Gorilla Tape to the exposed active exhaust wires on the passenger side. I noticed some people reported problems with blown fuses.

The car is noticeably louder and my exhaust echoes off walls and cars a lot more now 😎. I am little shocked at how much the tone of the exhaust changed. It went from a lower muscle car type sound (stock) to more high pitched European type sound. I am not picky at all and am enjoying the new volume coming out of the exhaust. But I would warn anyone that the tone is definitely higher pitched compared to stock. How much better the H-pipe is at keeping that deeper tone to the exhaust is unknown to me.

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT/A 301A 5.0
Just wanted to throw this review on the forum somewhere.

Finally decided to get a resonator delete. Purchased the Ford Performance X-Pipe from my local Ford dealership and had them do the install. Which should keep the dealership away from blaming my X-pipe on a failed active exhaust. Before the install I also added electrical and Gorilla Tape to the exposed active exhaust wires on the passenger side. I noticed some people reported problems with blown fuses.

The car is noticeably louder and my exhaust echoes off walls and cars a lot more now 😎. I am little shocked at how much the tone of the exhaust changed. It went from a lower muscle car type sound (stock) to more high pitched European type sound. I am not picky at all and am enjoying the new volume coming out of the exhaust. But I would warn anyone that the tone is definitely higher pitched compared to stock. How much better the H-pipe is at keeping that deeper tone to the exhaust is unknown to me.
H pipe is what gives the deeper muscle car sound. X pipe gives a raspy obnoxious sound.

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT/A 301A 5.0

jd_cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Ingot Silver
Got a steeda H pipe installed a couple weeks back and it sounds great. Going to eventually pair it with Borla S type AE axle back.
Sponsored