Sponsored

Need some help. My Mustang started making this really loud whining noise at idle and with revs. It then started stalling and gear grinding in neutral.

RPDBlueMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 Heritage Edition, Civic Type R
I just noticed this the other day. On my way back from a drive I could hear a really weird but loud electrical whining sound at idle and it would get louder as I gave the car more revs. At first I thought this was the AC compressor going bad because I do hear a similar sound whenever I have the AC going but its way quieter.

When I finally got back I started recording, and replicated the issue, but it got worse. After I gave it gas as the revs fell the car stalled and it sounded like I straight up grinded my gears even though I was in neutral. I stopped the video and froze for a few seconds and then I figured I'd continue recording, with me starting the car back up. As I started the car up again it didn't start and it did the same thing. Heard the really loud whine, gave it some revs and then gear grind and car stalled. I did roll up the windows and then roll them up and then back down so that is extra noise you can hear.

Here are the videos

Video 1

Video 2

Not really sure what the problem is here. When I searched google it said that it could be a transmission problem because of the whining sound, but the whining sound definitely was coming from under the hood and not underneath the car. After all of this happened I could smell something like brunt rubber or the burnt organic material from the clutch, so something definitely was getting messed up. I do downshift regularly but I didn't money shift the car, or regularly slip the clutch. On the way back I did 2 redline pulls and everything was fine, I didn't crash the car or anything so this problem kinda appeared from nowhere.

I haven't touched the car since then, I am planning on taking it to get towed to the dealership this weekend but it would be nice to have an idea of what I can expect to happen. The car is under warranty, I just don't want to get screwed over if its a clutch issue since technically it is a 'wear item' I have had ongoing electrical issues (car will randomly not start) that have been unresolved because it happens so randomly so this could be it but its just getting worse, although idk how that would interfere with my transmission.

I did check the oil level a week before and did check it yesterday, and the level is the same. Any ideas would be appreciated, figured I'd lost here instead of the GT350 section for higher visibility
Sponsored

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fiesta 1.25i, 2017 GB Ford Mustang GT PP Premium
Vehicle Showcase
I just noticed this the other day. On my way back from a drive I could hear a really weird but loud electrical whining sound at idle and it would get louder as I gave the car more revs. At first I thought this was the AC compressor going bad because I do hear a similar sound whenever I have the AC going but its way quieter.

When I finally got back I started recording, and replicated the issue, but it got worse. After I gave it gas as the revs fell the car stalled and it sounded like I straight up grinded my gears even though I was in neutral. I stopped the video and froze for a few seconds and then I figured I'd continue recording, with me starting the car back up. As I started the car up again it didn't start and it did the same thing. Heard the really loud whine, gave it some revs and then gear grind and car stalled. I did roll up the windows and then roll them up and then back down so that is extra noise you can hear.

Here are the videos

Video 1

Video 2

Not really sure what the problem is here. When I searched google it said that it could be a transmission problem because of the whining sound, but the whining sound definitely was coming from under the hood and not underneath the car. After all of this happened I could smell something like brunt rubber or the burnt organic material from the clutch, so something definitely was getting messed up. I do downshift regularly but I didn't money shift the car, or regularly slip the clutch. On the way back I did 2 redline pulls and everything was fine, I didn't crash the car or anything so this problem kinda appeared from nowhere.

I haven't touched the car since then, I am planning on taking it to get towed to the dealership this weekend but it would be nice to have an idea of what I can expect to happen. The car is under warranty, I just don't want to get screwed over if its a clutch issue since technically it is a 'wear item' I have had ongoing electrical issues (car will randomly not start) that have been unresolved because it happens so randomly so this could be it but its just getting worse, although idk how that would interfere with my transmission.

I did check the oil level a week before and did check it yesterday, and the level is the same. Any ideas would be appreciated, figured I'd lost here instead of the GT350 section for higher visibility
Not sure what the whining sound is but my gut feeling says it's clutch I had not that bad whining sound from my clutch before the change but was more grinding like. The second video where the car didn't want to start it gives you to messages one that the clutch is not pressed and second one about low battery. What is your battery voltage. It's possible your battery is going out. But I still vote for a new clutch.

OP
OP
RPDBlueMoon

RPDBlueMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not sure what the whining sound is but my gut feeling says it's clutch I had not that bad whining sound from my clutch before the change but was more grinding like. The second video where the car didn't want to start it gives you to messages one that the clutch is not pressed and second one about low battery. What is your battery voltage. It's possible your battery is going out. But I still vote for a new clutch.
I was having really weird electrical issues months after I got the car and I replaced the battery. So the battery I have now currently I got back in July of 2021 I do not regularly check the voltage but last time I looked it usually is around 12 volts and then goes up to 14.

Is it normal to stall and gear grind when you are in neutral when you clutch is going out? Never had this problem before so this is all new to me.

Sponsored

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
I find it interesting vid 2 the engine is shut down and the noise is still heard as whatever it is spun down.

I don't think a clutch would do that, even if all the friction material was wiped off the disk.

Have you by chance cycled the clutch while the car is running, and noticed a change in the sound?

vid 1 what I think you call a gear sound, almost a burp.

When things are spinning, depending on how loose or how much play is there. They will hit an RPM that causes them to vibrate. A harmonic sound is heard most times it is a buzz, or a burp as it stops or goes beyond the speed.

This is really impossible to put into words, is a must to have heard to understand.

Be interesting to find out what this is nonetheless.

Happy hunting

OP
OP
RPDBlueMoon

RPDBlueMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I find it interesting vid 2 the engine is shut down and the noise is still heard as whatever it is spun down.

I don't think a clutch would do that, even if all the friction material was wiped off the disk.

Have you by chance cycled the clutch while the car is running, and noticed a change in the sound?

vid 1 what I think you call a gear sound, almost a burp.

When things are spinning, depending on how loose or how much play is there. They will hit an RPM that causes them to vibrate. A harmonic sound is heard most times it is a buzz, or a burp as it stops or goes beyond the speed.

This is really impossible to put into words, is a must to have heard to understand.

Be interesting to find out what this is nonetheless.

Happy hunting
Thanks for the reply, no I did not intentionally cycle the clutch when it was running. when I didn't notice any change when I was driving and going through the gears

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
My thinking on that is to try and isolate the sound, trans or engine

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Yes, do that second shut down vid again - but when you do it, be at the engine bay to see if you can pinpoint the “wind down”.

Since you had the GT350 Timing TSB done (good that you did). I doubt that is related to the noise, but hopefully that job was done properly and nothing came loose behind the timing cover.

Video over the net is hard to diagnose without actually standing next to, under or being inside the car. Here’s my guesses as to what the noise could be:

- Failed throw out bearing. If anyone has heard a TB that has failed, or is failing, the sound can be chirping, squealing, screeching, or whining depending on how far gone or bad it’s worn. It could grind against the output shaft it’s riding on, or grind against the pressure plate fingers.

- Failed clutch disc. The “grinding” could be clutch disc material flopping around inside the bell housing, remnants of disc material against flywheel, or the stripped metal disc touching the surface of the flywheel during revolutions. Burning clutch material can smell like an “electrical” burn too based on its composition.

- This post is from a while back of an M6G member who had a rivet on the pressure plate fail, which allowed the band to separate and make contact inside of the bell housing.
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/2019-mustang-gt-clutch-defect.133584/#post-2753824

Ruiner46

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 CO GT PP
Just a guess, but starter motor doing something weird maybe? Grinding sound could be from the solenoid keeping it engaged... whining noise could be the starter spinning at engine speed... if so it could cause odd electrical issues and will definitely get hot. Could also cause an extra drag on the engine which could make it stall when dropping back to idle like it does in video 1.

Sponsored

pt's21

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
21 Mustang GT PP MT, Wife's 20 Mustang GT A10
Possibly something the serpentine belt is spinning. Try removing the belt and cranking it. If that's not it, I second the thought that the starter is not disengaging.

OP
OP
RPDBlueMoon

RPDBlueMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
**UPDATE**

So I towed my car and they told me that it was the alternator. Hopefully that will solve all of my problems 😁

Just waiting to hear back when they install the part
Sponsored