Sponsored

Anderson Composites GT500 CFTP Wing Showed Up..

OP
OP
Epiphany

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
Hey, @Epiphany ,

Do you mind going out to your car and tapping on your multimatic wing? Let us know if you think it sounds hollow. I would think if a wing had a foam core it wouldn't sound hollow. The best I can relate to is like tapping on a surfboard. It will sound light (not a dense solid core), but light (if that makes any sense).
It sounds a bit muffled. The foam inside it has no real density though and is very lightweight. I do believe it is solid core though.

Because I know some had the issue, including you as well Tom IIRC, I filled the open cavity in the aluminum insert you see up above. The GT4 wing endplates are not a perfect seal to the wing. Nothing like the factory CFTP wing with a bonded winglet. I left small voids for condensate, were it to occur. These wings can take in a bit of water from washing the car or if caught in a downpour. Now, not so much and the wing can still breathe if it has to.

20210430_185414-X3.jpg

If you look close at the next photo (it's hi res) you can actually see some daylight between the end of the wing and the end plate. All good as this is a race piece and is only overkill where it matters and the pretty stuff is secondary. Having adjustable plates makes it worth it to me.

Also note in the above photo, Multimatics method of upright to wing attachment. It uses a horizontal (better load bearing) flange as opposed the CFTP design which uses a rather narrow, vertical flange.

On Edit...I should probably do my due diligence here. For those that recognize and like what they see in the Multimatic hardware, the entire setup was about 3.5 times the cost of the Anderson. If you can scale value and cost, the two aren't far off from each other. Performance potential isn't the same but you already figured that into the equation.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
It sounds a bit muffled. The foam inside it has no real density though and is very lightweight. I do believe it is solid core though.

Because I know some had the issue, including you as well Tom IIRC, I filled the open cavity in the aluminum insert you see up above. The GT4 wing endplates are not a perfect seal to the wing. Nothing like the factory CFTP wing with a bonded winglet. I left small voids for condensate, were it to occur. These wings can take in a bit of water from washing the car or if caught in a downpour. Now, not so much and the wing can still breathe if it has to.

20210430_185414-X3.jpg

If you look close at the next photo (it's hi res) you can actually see some daylight between the end of the wing and the end plate. All good as this a race piece where it is overkill where it matters and the pretty stuff is secondary. Having adjustable plates makes it worth it to me.

Also note in the above photo, Multimatics method of upright to wing attachment. It uses a horizontal (better load bearing) flange as opposed the CFTP design which uses a rather narrow, vertical flange.
I also take note of the thickness of the load bearing bottom portion of the wing. It looks much thicker and able to support more load. The multimatic wing is a superior product.

JeremyPro5.0

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 & 2018 GT350R
I also take note of the thickness of the load bearing bottom portion of the wing. It looks much thicker and able to support more load. The multimatic wing is a superior product.
Guys my background tells me that the one piece and thickness in the leading and trailing edges of the wing are the real differentiator with the multimatic wing.

Same holds true for the AC wing but in reverse the leading and trailing edges being thinner, two piece and bonded together are a solid recipe for a high speed OH D_MN and No way I would put them on a car I race at any high speed track.

Venomous Pony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500/2019 F-350 / 2021 Bronco First Edition
Anyone with experience on the function factory wing? They claim it’s been tested to 182mph.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
So, I was out in the garage and I took a closer look at my OEM CFTP wing. It appears that the OEM wing is a two piece design as well. I took photos of the leading edge and the trailing edge. Both ends have seams which show that the top and bottom portion of the wing are joined together, just like ACs wing.

I tapped the top of the wing to guage overall density to estimate thickness of the upper surface. It sounded thin. I then did the same for the lower surface of the wing. It sounded heavier. I then tapped along the bottom leading up to the area where the mounts were located. It definitely sounded more dense the closer I came to the mounting point.

Its obvious to me that the OEM wing is a two piece design. It seems the lower surface is thicker, especially around the mounting points.

@Epiphany, would you be so kind to get out the 'ol Sawzall and take another cross sectional cut around the mount?

20220413_175558.jpg

20220413_175122.jpg

20220413_175558.jpg

Sponsored

OP
OP
Epiphany

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
I'll be out in the shop tomorrow and will definitely take a look.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
I'll be out in the shop tomorrow and will definitely take a look.
It's already cut, whats a few more cuts?

Edited to add:
Any chance you can remove the end plates to see how they are attached? I'd like a look at the end of the wing with the plates removed. The area around where the wing mounts are located is also a place of interest. If those are beefed up, then this wing may very well see 180 mph.

Last edited:

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
@Epiphany

How goes the exploratory surgery?

JeremyPro5.0

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 & 2018 GT350R
@Epiphany

How goes the exploratory surgery?
Not sure why you ask but when I was scratching that scab that was bothering me, boy didI unleash a flood of…………..

Oh wait now I see you weren’t addressing you post to me. My bad.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Not sure why you ask but when I was scratching that scab that was bothering me, boy didI unleash a flood of…………..

Oh wait now I see you weren’t addressing you post to me. My bad.
My point is that we have an opportunity to get down to the bones of this wing. Its already cut in half, whats a few more cuts?

The intent from AC has been satisfied, the wing was destroyed. Whats a few more cuts for the benefit of the community?

Sponsored

JeremyPro5.0

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 & 2018 GT350R
My point is that we have an opportunity to get down to the bones of this wing. Its already cut in half, whats a few more cuts?

The intent from AC has been satisfied, the wing was destroyed. Whats a few more cuts for the benefit of the community?
Understood just looking to lighten the mood.

Not really sure it would matter though with AC wing unless someone has a destroyed OEM to compare to.

Dharri21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350R HE, 2022 GT500 CFTP HE, 2022 Lightning
Vehicle Showcase
Who makes the OEM wing?