Sponsored

Anderson Composites GT500 CFTP Wing Showed Up..

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
Ordered from Lethal last fall and as many here know it has been a bit of a wait. Anyway, delivery truck showed up yesterday afternoon.

The box, fairly large, had one opening punched into it but there was no corresponding damage to the wing in that area. There was however, damage elsewhere.

5P1A8297%20copy-X3.jpg

5P1A8298%20copy-X3.jpg

The wing was triple wrapped with a layer of thin foam, poly, and then surrounded by bubble wrap. It took a while to get through it.

5P1A8300%20copy-X3.jpg

The box contained a folder with instructions as well as the rest of the installation hardware.

5P1A8310%20copy-X2.jpg

The ripples you see mid-airfoil are reflections.

5P1A8302%20copy-X4.jpg

It came with the uprights installed. I believe that by having them in place, some impact damage occurred from force being transmitted to the wing itself.

5P1A8303%20copy-X4.jpg

The first area of damage I noticed was on the outside of the right winglet.

5P1A8320%20copy-X3.jpg

5P1A8321%20copy-X4.jpg

There was no damage to the wrap in this area whatsoever.

The top of the airfoil looks very good, all the way across.

5P1A8327%20copy-X3.jpg

There are cracks where the winglet meets the leading edge of the airfoil on both sides.

5P1A8328%20copy-X4.jpg

Underneath, there are cracks and a chip where the leading edge of the wing mounting flange meets the airfoil.

5P1A8331%20copy-X4.jpg

There are cracks in the same area on the other end of the wing too.

5P1A8337%20copy-X4.jpg

...as well as on the other end of the mounting flanges. Looks like another chip came along for the ride as well.

5P1A8339%20copy-X4.jpg

Better shots of the cracks/chips on the inside of the winglets...

5P1A8347%20copy-X4.jpg

5P1A8344%20copy-X4.jpg

As you can surmise, I waited a long time for this and the damage is a bit disappointing. I'm not here to harp or bash Anderson as I believe they made a good faith effort to ship the wing in a protected fashion. That said, if I were them I'd review the process and adjust accordingly. The wing is no doubt a nice piece and I think many will be very happy with theirs.

The rest of the kit is very well done. Starting with the dogbone hardware...

5P1A8311%20copy-X3.jpg

5P1A8316%20copy-X3.jpg
Sponsored

OP
OP
Epiphany

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I had another set of dogbones that I bought elsewhere (not OEM Multimatic/Ford) and set them aside the ones from this kit. There are slight differences here and there but you can see how well parts like these can be done with some digital scanning and CNC machining. Anderson bones are on the left...

5P1A8317%20copy-X3.jpg

5P1A8319%20copy-X3.jpg

Really impressed with attaching hardware. I've installed ones that I got direct from Multimatic a couple of times and have these two pair to compare them too. You'd be hard pressed to identify each unless you had an extremely well trained eye. Kudos to Anderson for a good job here.

The uprights - more nice work. An aluminum version that mimics the OEM Ford chopped carbon fiber pieces. Again, they look to be a close match.

5P1A8348%20copy-X3.jpg

The base of the uprights have a machined groove similar to OEM (that uses a rubber seal/gasket) but the rest of the underside is different. Anderson's is solid whereas OEM is hollow and ribbed. Anderson supplies die cut gaskets to fill the cavity.

5P1A8352%20copy-X3.jpg

5P1A8353%20copy-X3.jpg

Not sure of the philosophy behind filling that area as most will be concerned with the contact area between the mount and the decklid - more specifically, the paint. Not sure if you could use factory-style rubber gasket but that might be a good idea to preserve the paint finish.

We have talked about this in the wing thread, and Anderson commented that this is indeed a two piece upright. For strength, I'm assuming there is a keyway/receiving groove machined into the base and a corresponding portion of the ladder section that is a good, tight fit when put together. You can see where Anderson placed welds at each end and then carefully contoured them for appearance. Well done.

5P1A8354%20copy-X4.jpg

5P1A8355%20copy-X4.jpg

The mounts look to fit the contours of the decklid well from what I can tell. The gloss powder baked finish looks sharp too.

I wanted to compare the mounts to a GT4 Mustang mount and to see how much shorter they were. For those that don't know, the GT4 wing is what Ford engineers used for "inspiration" on the CFTP GT500, albeit at a lower mounting height.

5P1A8370%20copy-X4.jpg

5P1A8374%20copy-X4.jpg

These CFTP-style mounts place the wing about 2.5" lower than the GT4 wing.

Anyway, I'll reach out to Anderson to talk to them about this when I have a minute. Hopefully this doesn't happen to anyone else.

Last edited:

Konamoth

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Base
Oof, man, that's rough. It definitely seems like the upright should've been separated from the wing in shipping...

Are you planning to return it?

jvandy50

H3249
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
jason
Vehicle(s)
22 TRX, 18 ZL1-1LE
i think every ZL1-1LE wing i've seen from them has had similar issues

Sponsored

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels

js19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium
Rest assured that we at Anderson Composites© hold absolutely no responsibility in the damaged wing and the damage must have occurred due to the shipper or your own negligence. We will gladly sell you another wing if you're interested, lead times are only approximately 15 months at this time. Hope to hear back soon :)

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
As I indicated in the other thread, those cracks can be repaired. That would be a lot of work. What I would do is attempt to get a replacement wing from them. Find out how long that will take. Tell them you don't want the mounts attached to the wing during shipping.... have them wrapped separately and placed in the box.

The packaging sucks. That wing should be protected all the way around with some high-density foam. It seems obvious that the wing was thrown about and was stacked. It seems something was dropped on the wing box and the energy couldn't be absorbed by the packaging provided. The mounts took the hit, transferred the energy to the wing, and created the cracks.

My hood, when it showed up, had similar cracks on it. The packaging was abysmal. I believe AC approach to the issue is that the item is insured, and nobody loses anything, except you. You waited for this wing a long time and now who knows if or when you can get a replacement.

AC needs to step up their game and provide better packaging. I think all agree that if the item was packed well, any of us would gladly pay the extra 20 or 30 bucks so this kind of MAJOR disappointment does not happen.

Again, that wing can be repaired, but you are looking at a lot of work. If you were to send it out and demand perfection, you'd be looking at $1,000 to $1500 to repair it.

The experience I had with AC was cut the item in half, submit photos, and they would replace it. Youve waited since OCT for this wing. They are backed up with no ETA for any of the other early orders. Replacement might not be available. The other thing AC did with me was offer me a 10% discount if I wanted to keep the damaged hood. 10% in this case doesn't even come close to the damage. If they threw a 50% discount on that wing, I might take it. This way you can get it repaired with minimal cost to you. The last option is to either repair it yourself (and I can help) or send it to AC for repair. I don't know if those knuckleheads do any CF work at their HQ, but certainly they have people who are qualified to repair CF on speed dial. John at MPR is one that I know has close ties to AC. Then there is always Frank at Spyder. Frank is a good guy, but he is very backed up. I don't know what his time frame is looking like.

All the best Tob, this just sucks. Maybe with some pressure, AC will step up and do the right thing. Everyone knows who you are and the weight you carry. I hope AC understands that.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Rest assured that we at Anderson Composites© hold absolutely no responsibility in the damaged wing and the damage must have occurred due to the shipper or your own negligence. We will gladly sell you another wing if you're interested, lead times are only approximately 15 months at this time. Hope to hear back soon :)
Unfortunately, that is about the response I got on my hood. But they were kind enough to "file a claim on my behalf" with the shipping company.

Let's all give AC a chance to see what they do for Tob. If they learned anything, maybe they will make this right.

DO NOT STACK
1649175146026.png

OP
OP
Epiphany

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I was more impressed by the rug. Really ties the room together.
Just for you.

20220405_120603(1).jpg

Tom said:
All the best Tob, this just sucks. Maybe with some pressure, AC will step up and do the right thing. Everyone knows who you are and the weight you carry. I hope AC understands that.
Thanks Tom. Yeah, this wing would be soo nice in undamaged form. I'll forward a note to AC.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Just for you.

20220405_120603(1).jpg

Thanks Tom. Yeah, this wing would be soo nice in undamaged form. I'll forward a note to AC.
What? No Lava Lamp?