Sponsored

Per Ford (officially) the 2011-2019 F150/Mustang 5.0 “Typewriter Tick” is a normal characteristic

blk_bean_s550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dimitrius
Vehicle(s)
‘21 Mustang GT, MT82D4, 301A, Black Accent Package
It consistently makes the noise once it’s warmed up. I always wait for the LC light to come on before driving and I never cold rev it. The tick starts usually right after the LC light comes on, and is consistent with engine rpm.

I may end up taking it to another dealership, but I kind of expect the same result. It’s been ticking like this for probably 1500-2000 of my 4000 miles so I’m hoping it hasn’t caused any severe damage
Sponsored

Biggus Dickus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
G
Vehicle(s)
Focus RS, Mustang GT, MME GTPE
I always use 91. Wish I could use 93 but not available in California. It was weird. I am in an underground garage so hearing the tick is very easy. One day I started the car for work in the morning from outside it and I could hear it distinctly. After the next oil change it was gone. Can’t explain it.
Mix 2 gallons or so of E85 with every tankful. That's what I do with my Focus that has a "93 tune". All my numbers look good - but that's how I get 93 in CA.

Or you could just get an AED E85 tune and run 104 octane :devil: One good thing about our state is OUR E85 is always >85% EtOH.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
Hi all, just joined the forum. Unfortunately my first post has to go to this obnoxious ticking noise my car is making. After reading through several threads and watching several videos, I don’t believe that my car is exhibiting “typewriter tick”, but something different. Ford dealership tried to tell me it was the HPFP, but that doesn’t correlate with where the sound is coming from. I’ve attached a few YouTube links of videos I’ve taken of the sound, including one where you can still hear the ticking from 75 feet away.

Any ideas or help are much appreciated!

Edit: it’s a ‘21 Mustang GT base, 6-speed, got it with 19 miles on it on 1/25 and it just rolled 4000. Haven’t had any oil change yet, only mod is a roush cold air intake
Sounds like a mechanical problem in the front end of the passenger side valve train. No way that is the high pressure fuel pump. The noise seems to actually subside quite a bit with increased engine RPM, so it could be a bad/lazy hydraulic valve adjuster which starts working better with more oil pressure from increased RPM.

Take it to another Ford dealer ... the one you took it too can't diagnose.

blk_bean_s550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dimitrius
Vehicle(s)
‘21 Mustang GT, MT82D4, 301A, Black Accent Package
Sounds like a mechanical problem in the front end of the passenger side valve train. No way that is the high pressure fuel pump. The noise seems to actually subside quite a bit with increased engine RPM, so it could be a bad/lazy hydraulic valve adjuster which starts working better with more oil pressure from increased RPM.

Take it to another Ford dealer ... the one you took it too can't diagnose.
Yeah I’ll have to take it to another dealership. I knew off the bat it wasn’t the HPFP but I didn’t wanna go arguing with them. Hopefully someone can get it fixed at whatever dealer I go to first, otherwise I’ll have to peruse every ford dealer in SEPA til someone fixes it

The Demon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 N5809, 2019 Mustang GT Premium PP1
Vehicle Showcase
Mix 2 gallons or so of E85 with every tankful. That's what I do with my Focus that has a "93 tune". All my numbers look good - but that's how I get 93 in CA.

Or you could just get an AED E85 tune and run 104 octane :devil: One good thing about our state is OUR E85 is always >85% EtOH.
I have E85 right down the street from me. Maybe I’ll give that a try. I just use Octanium every once in a while to get a nice boost for my tankful to have some fun.

Sponsored

Albertcado

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6spd
Just an FYI, had my oi change done at the dealer (another oil pan leak, another thread on that) and of course as soon as I pick up the car...the tick. I literally only had to use 100ml to get the tick to go away of LiquiMoly Ceratec. I know it goes away in a few thousand miles but that tick drives me absolutely bonkers.
if you're consuming 1qt every 1200 miles or so I feel like that's excessive and you should have your dealership start an oil consumption test or they may even get cylinder testing approved to skip that step. My 2020 consumed around that much ever since the break in period and I felt like having to add 3-4 qts of oil between oil changes didn't seem right. I eventually got approved for a new short block because the oil consumption was deemed excessive and they found damage in the cylinders.

Albertcado

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6spd
Does anyone have the "typewriter" tick with no performance issues and little to no oil consumption? I just got my 1st oil change on my 2nd short block and the tick appeared on this engine too, right after the 1st oil change. It can be produced consistently if I throttle to 1500~1700rpm, at idle or moving. 1st engine had the tick and was replaced for damaged cylinders that was causing excessive oil consumption. I'm hoping the tick is not a sign of something wrong in my new engine and just the "noise". I'll have to monitor the oil consumption now and hope it's good.

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1 6MT Rapid Red
if you're consuming 1qt every 1200 miles or so I feel like that's excessive and you should have your dealership start an oil consumption test or they may even get cylinder testing approved to skip that step. My 2020 consumed around that much ever since the break in period and I felt like having to add 3-4 qts of oil between oil changes didn't seem right. I eventually got approved for a new short block because the oil consumption was deemed excessive and they found damage in the cylinders.

Turns out I had a small oil leak, according to my dealer (South Bay Ford in S. Cali) this is an issue with the composite oil pan. This is the 2nd time this has been repaired. Its been 300 miles since they repaired it and it did seem to help solve the issue as my oil is still full. That being said, the dealer told me they wouldn't start an oil consumption test until it was 1 litre every 750 miles. I am keeping an eye on it and may force the issue if it continues. Thanks for your help.

Last edited:

Albertcado

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6spd
Turns out I had a small oil leak, according to my dealer (South Bay Ford in S. Cali) this is an issue with the composite oil pan. This is the 2nd time this has been repaired. Its been 300 miles since they repaired it and it did seem to help solve the issue as my oil is still full. That being said, the dealer told me they wouldn't start an oil consumption test until it was 1 litre every 750 miles. I am keeping an eye on it and may force the issue if it continues. Thanks for your help.
Good to hear your oil consumption is down, I actually go to the same dealership and they replaced my short block. Do you have the "tick" on yours?

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Good to hear your oil consumption is down, I actually go to the same dealership and they replaced my short block. Do you have the "tick" on yours?

Who is your service manager there? Yes, I do have the tick. 100ml of Ceratec and it is gone.

Sponsored

Albertcado

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6spd
Who is your service manager there? Yes, I do have the tick. 100ml of Ceratec and it is gone.
Steve Lopez is my service advisor, and he helped me through the new engine process.
I honestly believe that if the tick is present, but there's healthy oil consumption, it has to be just an annoying noise and not related to actual mechanical issues.

barron64

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT convertible PP1, 6sp, 2006 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab 4x4, 2009 Acura MDX, 2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser
I had the tick start at around 3500mi on original factory fill. Changed to Mobile 1, 5w-30 and tick was very noticeable. Ceratec pretty much solved this issue. The more miles on the oil change, the quieter the engine became btw. Tried a couple of rounds of Mobile 1 with same results. Swapped to Castrol Edge 5w-30 with similar results. Ceratec worked its magic as usual. Noticed that there was no oil consumption during this last nearly 10k mile interval. Last oil change was to Penzoil Ultra Platinum 5w-30 and guess what? No tick! I currently have 44k miles on the car with 4K on PUP fill and no oil consumption at this time. Car is not babied but enjoyed, with regular trips to the redline each week.

Bulldog9

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullitt, 2017 Tundra TRDPRO, 1976 Porsche 912
No tick, no consumption, just VVT rattle (3K light throttle) At 14K miles and running Pennzoil 5W30 Ultra Platinum and Ford racing 820 filter.

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No tick, no consumption, just VVT rattle (3K light throttle) At 14K miles and running Pennzoil 5W30 Ultra Platinum and Ford racing 820 filter.
Yea these things are noisy.

Firsttexan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2011 GT500 '19 GT PP1 '13 GT500, 98 GT, 92 LX 5.0
Vehicle Showcase
I wonder if they have an aluminum pan that will fit these year models?
Sponsored