Sponsored

Anyone who's swapped/raised/messed with the accelerator pedal...

Konamoth

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Base
...How the hell do you remove this cable?! I've tugged and messed with this thing for like 20 minutes and it feels like it's not even budging. The red clip is pulled back / raised.

I'm trying to swap in the aluminum pedals and raise the accrlerator, and after a fair bit of contortion, finally got the stock black pedal assembly removed, but now I can't get the cable loose!

PXL_20220331_224244508.jpg
PXL_20220331_224252370.jpg
PXL_20220331_224302055.jpg
Sponsored

PaddyPrix

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
07 335is, 08 LR2, 13 Tahoe, 18 Mustang GT x2
Vehicle Showcase
Get a thin screwdriver and push that red tab back up and away from the accelerator, you'll feel it stop about 3/4 an inch later or so. Once that's backed out, you should be able to pinch/squeeze the flexible tab between that red tab and the harder and thicker plastic, and when pinched, just pull it away from the unit.

1648767758242.png

OP
OP
Konamoth

Konamoth

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Base
Get a thin screwdriver and push that red tab back up and away from the accelerator, you'll feel it stop about 3/4 an inch later or so. Once that's backed out, you should be able to pinch/squeeze the flexible tab between that red tab and the harder and thicker plastic, and when pinched, just pull it away from the unit.
Man, that's evil. I couldn't even tell there was a tab there!

In case anyone stumbles on this in future and needs a visual along Paddy's explanation:
PXL_20220331_224252370~2.jpg

PXL_20220331_231151684.jpg

Thanks man. You're a lifesaver. Now, back under the dash I go... šŸ„²

PaddyPrix

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
07 335is, 08 LR2, 13 Tahoe, 18 Mustang GT x2
Vehicle Showcase

In case anyone stumbles on this in future and needs a visual along Paddy's explanation:

Yeah did all that wiring a while back and it's a pain... Be thankful you don't have an 8 point cage making it even more miserable under there.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Konamoth

Konamoth

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Base
Yeah did all that wiring a while back and it's a pain... Be thankful you don't have an 8 point cage making it even more miserable under there.
No kidding. I don't even want to imagine the pains that brings.

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE

PXL_20220331_231151684.jpg

The thing is there are quite a few connectors that do that or something very similar. Rule of thumb, if you can't get a connector to come apart start looking for odd locking tabs...

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
That connector was probably engineered and designed by the same dude who thought it would be cool to put a cabin filter in the HVAC box facing the f'n kick panel... Instead of the filter location shooting straight out the front of the glove box . . . Like thousands of other SMART designs in other cars . . . But no, in an S550 one has to be a blind contortionist to replace it.

OP
OP
Konamoth

Konamoth

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Base
The thing is there are quite a few connectors that do that or something very similar. Rule of thumb, if you can't get a connector to come apart start looking for odd locking tabs...
Very true. I can't say I've started pulling plugs often for things just yet. But there's even grippy ridges on the OTHER side of the plug like you're meant to press from there!

That connector was probably engineered and designed by the same dude who thought it would be cool to put a cabin filter in the HVAC box facing the f'n kick panel... Instead of the filter location shooting straight out the front of the glove box . . . Like thousands of other SMART designs in other cars . . . But no, in an S550 one has to be a blind contortionist to replace it.
Forreal. I swear the engineers made it a mission to put things in the most inconvenient spaces available.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
But no, in an S550 one has to be a blind contortionist to replace it.
but it looked so pretty in the CAD preview, spinning it around on it's 3 axis. Ford engineers have never lifted a tool, skinned their knuckles, or soiled their shirts except with nacho cheese. But they are wizards at that AutoCAD thing they picked up at Uni.

Sponsored

Mike Pfeifer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red Mustang GT A10
Must have learned from BMWā€¦

Weyland-Yutani

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Mustang GT, '17 Volvo V60 Platinum, '04 E-150
but it looked so pretty in the CAD preview, spinning it around on it's 3 axis. Ford engineers have never lifted a tool, skinned their knuckles, or soiled their shirts except with nacho cheese. But they are wizards at that AutoCAD thing they picked up at Uni.
Looks like a Delphi connector, but I'm sure Delphi engineers are also turds. We're all turds.

I did get some dirt on me last Tuesday though. I mean, technically the dirt fell on me, but I still got dirty in the one spot.

Cobrajet70

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jamie
Vehicle(s)
21 Mach 1 Hp
Vehicle Showcase
I pull connectors with just two fingerers all day long with out even thinking about it. One "trick" I tell new guys is to Push in the connector before releasing it. They like to jam on the lock tab and pushing thing them in clears the lock tab to get it to release. Very common to need to do this on coil connectors if you Don't want to break them.

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tae
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT Premium
I know Iā€™m late to this, but I was out tryna put a Pedalmax on my 2016 GT today and couldnā€™t figure out how to remove that tab and broke the top part of that red tab off, anybody know where or a part number I can get a new one to replace or how I can fix it maybe lol
Sponsored