Sponsored

Slight hood bulge after battery replacement (from battery cover)

SHxTGUN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP2
I replaced my battery a week ago (XS D4700) and while it sits in the battery box just fine, when I try and put the battery cover back on, it doesn't sit flush and creates a bulge when I try and close the hood. Only on the left side where the battery sits of course. When I take the battery cover off and close the hood, it comes down just fine and there is no gap/bulge. I've tried for a while trying to position the cover as best as I can, but it will just not sit right.

My question is, is it okay to just not run the battery cover at all? Or is it 100% needed. I was running without it for a few days but today I decided to try to put the cover on again and I was not able to get it to sit without the gap in the hood. I'll include some pictures of how bad that gap is.

IMG_2259.jpeg

IMG_2267.jpeg

IMG_2263.jpeg
Sponsored

Reap

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harald
Vehicle(s)
1999 Mustang 2017 Mustang
Battery cover is not needed. Quite a few people don't use them.

OP
OP
SHxTGUN

SHxTGUN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP2
Awesome, great to know. Thanks. I'll definitely keep it off then cause that gap is horrible.

BadHabit2Break

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stephen
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang GT350
Did you get the correct posts connections for the battery. There are two, one is shorter than the other.

Is the battery fully seated in the battery box?

I have the same setup with no issues.

OP
OP
SHxTGUN

SHxTGUN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP2
Did you get the correct posts connections for the battery. There are two, one is shorter than the other.

Is the battery fully seated in the battery box?

I have the same setup with no issues.
I did use the short posts, yes. However, there was a major problem with getting the negative terminals off the stock battery (as in, it was glued in-stuck) so we had to take the entire damaged terminal off and replace it will an aftermarket one. Then I used the white square cap that came with the new battery and put it over the negative terminal as some sort of protection (the cap sits a little high/not flush). So that fitment may be what's causing it, not too sure. I'll probably try and remove that white cap and try again, but it may just be the terminal itself that doesn't fit perfectly like the stock one.

The battery is fully seated in the box, yes. It sits as flat as it'll go.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Magony15

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GTPP Base/Prem, 2009 Ram 1500
Used to run with my cover off for a while but engine heat would get pulled into the HVAC system. Problem when you just want to have it set to vent. Your '19 might be different.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
So when there's an obvious problem with the battery, or it's placement, that's the solution ?

Chef jpd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1 6M, Grab ass lime. Ex: 2016 EB PPP CO
Vehicle Showcase
No cover and you are inviting serious water intrusion.
The cover seals to the hood.

Reap

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harald
Vehicle(s)
So when there's an obvious problem with the battery, or it's placement, that's the solution ?
He asked if the cover was 100% needed not how to correct the gap problem. If you want to help him with the gap problem, be my guest.

Sponsored

55Tele

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium Coupe
I did use the short posts, yes. However, there was a major problem with getting the negative terminals off the stock battery (as in, it was glued in-stuck) so we had to take the entire damaged terminal off and replace it will an aftermarket one. Then I used the white square cap that came with the new battery and put it over the negative terminal as some sort of protection (the cap sits a little high/not flush). So that fitment may be what's causing it, not too sure. I'll probably try and remove that white cap and try again, but it may just be the terminal itself that doesn't fit perfectly like the stock one.

The battery is fully seated in the box, yes. It sits as flat as it'll go.
How about trying it without the terminal cap?

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
He asked if the cover was 100% needed not how to correct the gap problem. If you want to help him with the gap problem, be my guest.
Ahhh gotcha. Well I guess I'll yank my airbags, cause you know, they're not 100% needed.

Reap

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harald
Vehicle(s)
Ahhh gotcha. Well I guess I'll yank my airbags, cause you know, they're not 100% needed.
For many years airbags were not in cars so yes they are not needed but are now mandated. Now, I could give SHxTGUN a bullshit answer on the gap problem but it's something I have no idea on how to solve , if that will make your outrage cool but looks like you are just looking for a fight for some reason.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase