Victor Racing Active Aero Spoiler for the GT350

gamepalace

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Hi guys, new user, first time poster. I’m in the process of turning my Shelby into a track car and the last thing I am looking for is a spoiler.

I came across a few options and this one from Victor racing really caught my eye. Just a few questions.

Anyone have experience with them?
Are there any better options out there?
Any info that the product actually works?

Here is a link: https://www.victorracing.com/product-page/gt350-70-smart-active-aero-wing

Thanks!
Sponsored

Tractor Junk

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Spencer
Vehicle(s)
18 GT350R, 16 GT350 FPRS #3, 2014 Boss 302S
You can get an AJ Hartman rear wing that’s optimized in the wind tunnel and dialed in to your specific racing class for that type of budget.

Biggsy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Warren
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP, '10 Tundra
Hi guys, new user, first time poster. I’m in the process of turning my Shelby into a track car and the last thing I am looking for is a spoiler.

I came across a few options and this one from Victor racing really caught my eye. Just a few questions.

Anyone have experience with them?
Are there any better options out there?
Any info that the product actually works?

Here is a link: https://www.victorracing.com/product-page/gt350-70-smart-active-aero-wing

Thanks!
I remember when they introduced it a couple years ago at SEMA but wasn’t much interest due to other option. In the Track Mustangs FB group, the driver who does a lot of their testing made this post. They do provide a lot of track data. I would also assume that different track may yield different results
FAA70177-562D-4A72-A908-450DBD58771A.png

and he posts a lot on his Instagram about the benefits

https://instagram.com/fordfanboi?utm_medium=copy_link

As far as better options…I would think it’ll depends on all the other aero bits on your car but a wing from a solid company (with data) will all provide the same more or less.
Other options include:
AJ Hartman
FPS350
APR
9livesracing
Archetype Racing

but others like @honeybadger may provide better feedback because I think he knows the guy above

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
My buddy here at COTA is the test mule for the GT350 variant. It's pretty slick. The DRS mode garners him about 7 MPH down the backstraight if I recall correctly. I do 150ish and he does 158 on a good run.

From what I've seen and inspected, the hardware is good, they've gotten it reliable, and the support from Victor is great.

Whether or not it will outperform a fixed wing from someone like AJ is unknown to me, though. It'd take a fair amount of testing to get an accurate/defendable test. I've seen my buddy's wing still in airbrake mode at the apex of a turn when he's getting on power, which isn't ideal since it'll "release" that DF a couple milliseconds later and be upsetting to the car (though probably minutely).

If you're really into tech and love the idea, I don't think it's necessarily a bad idea (I did at first, admittedly). But I'm still skeptical over the benefits to something like AJs. If I was starting again, I'd just go straight to AJ and buy his stuff. Right cost to performance ratio, extremely proven, and AJ will help you dial it in.

Last edited:

The Chairman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘09 GT500KR & ‘16 GT350 Track Pack & ‘20 GT500 HP
I ditto what HB said. Have seen this in action at COTA several times. Early on, they had issues with the electronics in the trunk. But I think they got that sorted.
It is a bit shocking to see the wing in action, especially in the parking lot as it flips from neutral to full brake mode pulling into the garage! Maybe there is a way to put it to sleep at slow speeds.

Reminded me of Jim Hall’s Chaparral cars back in the day.

Sponsored

5.2 liters of democracy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shane
Vehicle(s)
2017 Avalanche Gray GT350
I'd recommend looking at what your long-term plan is with the car. If you plan on any type of competition, the likelihood is active aero components are not allowed unless you're running in the unlimited classes. That is the case with NASA.

If you're just planning on track days here and there, it's a neat toy but I'd heavily consider what @honeybadger said.

Also, every penny not spent on the wing is another penny for tires. Just my opinion.

CarbonZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I'll chime in a bit here though even though you read up on my install post.

It's a niche product for sure. It will take a lot of dialing in on your own vs a fixed wing like Aj's, archetypes etc.. once you install it, the info on settings victor will give you will be very limited. My baseline settings I got from Jack, and have not yet tested it at the track, and barely much on the street. Will see how it goes this coming year.

Also as you read I have a current issue I still have to sort. All the electronics are another potential failure point.

VR has been great so far, and I have no complaints. A few issues, but most have all been cleared up. The kit itself is very nice, but it's also quite heavy all combined. Airbrakes are awesome though, and I can't wait to play more when it warms up. Hopefully I can get my issue sorted and be back at it soon enough.

At the new price point too vs when I purchased you have a ton of options on wings. This isn't a bolt and go mod. You will be testing for a good while with different settings.

First function test once installed

IMG_20211219_132851.jpg

OP
OP

gamepalace

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Vehicle(s)
GT350
I'll chime in a bit here though even though you read up on my install post.

It's a niche product for sure. It will take a lot of dialing in on your own vs a fixed wing like Aj's, archetypes etc.. once you install it, the info on settings victor will give you will be very limited. My baseline settings I got from Jack, and have not yet tested it at the track, and barely much on the street. Will see how it goes this coming year.

Also as you read I have a current issue I still have to sort. All the electronics are another potential failure point.

VR has been great so far, and I have no complaints. A few issues, but most have all been cleared up. The kit itself is very nice, but it's also quite heavy all combined. Airbrakes are awesome though, and I can't wait to play more when it warms up. Hopefully I can get my issue sorted and be back at it soon enough.

At the new price point too vs when I purchased you have a ton of options on wings. This isn't a bolt and go mod. You will be testing for a good while with different settings.

First function test once installed

IMG_20211219_132851.jpg
Also at what price did you get yours for?

CarbonZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Also at what price did you get yours for?
I don't remember exactly off hand, and the paperwork is in my the office so can't go check atm. Think it was like 3700ish for the v2. I do not know if the the new listed option is what I have, or something different. I am curious though. When I purchased mine it was a single option, and there was no mention of upgrades. The original wing Fordfanboi has on his early runs on YT was the test bed wing and was flat. VR upgraded that to the shaped wing we both have now. So if you watch his vids you will see two different styles.

Performance nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
Vehicle Showcase
Slight bump as I came across this system as well. If someone has some additional information, I would really like to hear it. I reached out to them asking about it and the answers I got were really disappointing. Definitely sales guys, definitely scripted, and definitely not helpful for guys who have raced.

First, they won't publish data nor will they provide it. As mentioned already about AJ, not only does the man publish data but he publishes which vehicle the aero was tested on and also does wind tunnel testing. Hard to beat that as far as knowing what you are buying. Victor Racing does have something in their FAQ but it is not really that specific as to what speed that downforce is generated at. 100mph? 150mph? Mach 2?

Second, I asked about lap time improvements. Now you would think that if they brag about how much faster you get around the long straight away at COTA that you would want to brag about proof how the product reacts on the rest of COTA which an active aero system has the potential of shining. Nope. Just said it dramatic improves performance and reiterates what active aero does. I'd expect "shaved 4 seconds off personal best at COTA" or something like that.

Lastly, without giving out actual downforce numbers, Victor Racing will not talk about how to balance out front and rear downforce. Now granted, having a static front downforce and a dynamic rear downforce can be tricky I bet. At one speed, you are probably oversteering, another you are understeering. Seems a really risky way to find out if you are in the ballpark or just unstable. But let's say you risk it and you tune the system to better track your front aero and get a more balanced handling. Or do you? You could over do your front aero and the system can never keep up or still leave something on the table without knowing it. No guidance, no real insight... just "don't over do it or you go slower". That's helpful.

Overall I wasn't impressed at all with them. Neat toy but as far as I'm concerned that is all it is. Now, take those actuators and stick them on a known quantity like AJ's Apex 8... yeah now that is a combination I'd like to see.

Sponsored

fordfanboi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Shelby GT350
The way I see it, if you disable the airbrake and just let DRS kick in on straights, you will outperform a static wing. This is why I'm starting to make some static wing conversions kits.

I can't really quantify gains from the airbrake since it seems to be maybe a 25-50m decrease on the back straight at cota, but that doesn't translate to obvious changes on mid 2:20s lap times. I've recently upgraded my actuators to be faster to help the airbrake so maybe there is some more meat on the bone, but nothing compares to the DRS gains... especially once I get the front splitter DRS tested. 👌🏼

Last edited:

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
The way I see it, if you disable the airbrake and just let DRS kick in on straights, you will outperform a static wing. This is why I'm starting to make some static wing conversions kits.

I can't really quantify gains from the airbrake since it seems to be maybe a 25-50m decrease on the back straight at cota, but that doesn't translate to obvious changes on mid 2:20s lap times. I've recently upgraded my actuators to be faster to help the airbrake so maybe there is some more meat on the bone, but nothing compares to the DRS gains... especially once I get the front splitter DRS tested. 👌🏼
And hopefully working a swan neck mount for the c pillar 😜

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350