How to "Pay Cash" when you have to fly

I Bleed Ford Blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2023 grabber blue metallic Mach 1
Another option, if your intent on paying cash, is check and see if your bank has a local branch near the dealership. If there is one, have someone at the dealer give you a ride over there and make the withdrawal or get a bank check or whatever you need.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
Another option, if your intent on paying cash, is check and see if your bank has a local branch near the dealership. If there is one, have someone at the dealer give you a ride over there and make the withdrawal or get a bank check or whatever you need.
Closes branch is Omaha, Nebraska. I accidentally said Kansas earlier.

Thank you @OutWest for confirmation they'll do wire transfer. I'll see about scheduling it when it's time. I might fly in a and stay in a hotel, then see if they'll pick me up in the morning so there's time to inspect/drive it then finish the transfer.

aham23

FPC 5.2
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 FJG Mach 1 w/ HP
A paper check isnt cash. TSA wont even see it or find it.

The Demon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 N5809, 2019 Mustang GT Premium PP1
Vehicle Showcase

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
I hear horror stories of TSA finding these and confiscating them.
How would they even find it Do they rifle through every single page of your book or through every single bill in your wallet? It would be very easy to tuck away in a book, or folder or even folded in your wallet.

Sponsored

thompsje

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
TSA won't care about a check because they can't cash it and steal the money. That's how I would do it, or move it into an escrow account that you can release to Grainger with a phone call. Been a long time since I did that (down payment on a house), and there are some extra fees involved.

Check or wire transfer should be fine. Even though it's not illegal to carry cash, you don't want to do that at all. Google up some info on civil asset forfiture if you want.

Evolvd

Instigator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
Get a cashiers check and carry it with you or do a wire transfer. Pros and cons for each. Cashiers check removes that money from your account for 90 days if it isn’t cashed. That means if you lose it or it’s stolen you won’t be able to do a stop payment on it for 90 days. (Ask me how I know). TSA doesn’t give a crap about cashiers checks and won’t even notice it on a x-Ray scan. Another downside is Granger might not accept it until it clears. Ask them.

And I have to shake my head at the lack of reading comprehension in here. Nowhere did the OP infer cash as in “paper bills”. 😒

OP
OP

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
Get a cashiers check and carry it with you or do a wire transfer. Pros and cons for each. Cashiers check removes that money from your account for 90 days if it isn’t cashed. That means if you lose it or it’s stolen you won’t be able to do a stop payment on it for 90 days. (Ask me how I know). TSA doesn’t give a crap about cashiers checks and won’t even notice it on a x-Ray scan. Another downside is Granger might not accept it until it clears. Ask them.

And I have to shake my head at the lack of reading comprehension in here. Nowhere did the OP infer cash as in “paper bills”. 😒
They originally mentioned cashier’s check. I do believe I’d probably fly no problem with it. However, that small percentage chance my number’s up with TSA would be catastrophic. Probably irrational paranoia.
Wire transfer sounds best.

And yes, I figured “physical monetary instrument” would be a mouthful. Not going anywhere with wads of cash.

Sponsored

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
How about you ask the dealer?

Thomas

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
21' GT500 - CFTP
The part I finding fascinating about this thread is that we are just casually talking about a Federal agency directly stealing money from citizens with impunity
.now that I have that written, it doesn’t sound as crazy as it should.

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
The part I finding fascinating about this thread is that we are just casually talking about a Federal agency directly stealing money from citizens with impunity

Reading this trying to figure out if the OP just wants to brag or seriously, not smart enough to know what to do.

Mr. Got Rocks in a bar drunk flashing the cash trying to attract the girls. Gets robbed in the parking lot. Can't figure out why .... LMAO

One hint if he's this naive, is to never let others know what you're carrying $$$ or weapons

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Reading this trying to figure out if the OP just wants to brag or seriously, not smart enough to know what to do.

Mr. Got Rocks in a bar drunk flashing the cash trying to attract the girls. Gets robbed in the parking lot. Can't figure out why .... LMAO

One hint if he's this naive, is to never let others know what you're carrying $$$ or weapons
^^^ Exactly.

I'm still wondering why it's even a question. Why not once at the destination go to a local branch and then do a withdrawal there in town...

OR

If one has an account bring the checkbook and write a check - same as cash, no fees and no money order fees. The Seller or Dealership can call the bank it's drawn on to verify funds if the concern is "wait to clear" timing. Once the Seller or Dealer has verified funds, they can immediately deposit said check.

And

Can someone explain why TSA or anyone at an airport may confiscate a money order or even any other form of paper with a monetary value (aside from actual cash) that would be folded up and/or stored in a pocket or wallet??? Does TSA go through your pockets and wallets now reading paper??

I mean sure there's the standing metal detectors, luggage scanners and hand held metal detectors - are they really going to question a money order or check made out to XYZ?? Bring the ad listing too, no questions - so if you're buying kilos instead of a vehicle at least the AD says the value matches the vehicle - what is actually being bought is anyones guess.... LMFAO

theruleslawyer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
MB C350
You mean the IRS?
Sponsored