How to "Pay Cash" when you have to fly

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
Anybody got tips on how to pay "cash" when you're flying to your dealer? Right now it looks like my options are:

1) Order Teller Check (Cashier's Check) and fly with it. I hear horror stories of TSA finding these and confiscating them. Seems a great way to lose some serious change with no recourse.
2) Order a Teller Check and mail it to dealer. Seems like it could be a problem with USPS. Not sure I'd be covered if it went "missing". Even if I was, it would take too long to get replaced and I'd have to fly back home or drive to Wichita for a new one.
3) Negotiate a wire transfer. I'm trying not to bug Granger, I don't know if they accept these. It seems the most secure route though.

I've never flown to pick up a car, they've always been within driving distance. I'm sure plenty of people here have done it. What I'm NOT willing to do is finance it and then pay off the loan. The whole point of me switching to cash deals is to keep everything off my credit. I'm trying to get back to 800+ here. We're looking to buy a house soon.
Sponsored

Carbide

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Race Red w/white stripes Shelby GT350
Is there an actual limit for how much cash you can fly with?
I honestly don't know as I don't fly much.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
Is there an actual limit for how much cash you can fly with?
I honestly don't know as I don't fly much.
It’s not the limit, it’s the TSA I’m worried about. They can seize your monetary instruments on nothing more than suspicion and you’re pretty helpless at that point.

Stage_3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Roush Stage 3
1) Order Teller Check (Cashier's Check) and fly with it. I hear horror stories of TSA finding these and confiscating them. Seems a great way to lose some serious change with no recourse.
Wow, I never knew this. But then again, I never fly anywhere.

cerbomark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Mach1 700, 6 Spd.#5558
I wired Chapmann the day before pickup.

Rick#7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT 50 Years Appearance Package
Set up the wire transfer the day before you go there, the dealer will give you all the necessary bank info to do the transfer, if you do the authorization at your bank after 3pm, it won't be sent til the next day anyway. When you get the dealer, check out the car carefully and if anything isn't right you might still be able to halt the transfer.

NEVER EVER Travel with more cash than you're prepared to lose!!!! Bring just enough for emergency use only, maybe $200-300. Any large cash amounts can give TSA cause to detain and question, and inside the airport the TSA are THE law and final authority,!!

I worked for the airlines for 35 years, and the 1st year after TSA took over security after 9/11 all airlines saw a 20% increase in baggage theft and pilferage. That's not a random number, that's an FAA statistic. The theft has gotten only slightly better since then with more aggressive oversight, but their authority has also grown to include more personal and more invasive searches.

OutWest

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Old Person Special Mach 1
to @Some Random Guy Granger accepts wire transfers. They will give you the required info. Just do it a day before because it may not show up at Granger's account if you miss the Fed's deadline to settle, which I think is 1PM eastern (just guessing) [edit: What @Rick#7 said].

As a matter of fact, dealerships welcome wire transfers because it goes straight into their bank account and they don't need to worry about validity of a cashier's check or personal check.

Sponsored

Louk

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lou
Vehicle(s)
F90 M5, 2022 TRX
I did cashiers check to granger last month. Never heard of tsa “confiscating” a piece of paper.

Jimmy Dean

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
71 mach 1, 82 Bronco, 86 Bronco (dd),
at this point, paying cash, I would not drive up there across state lines with that much. I would still wire transfer it. no idea what some dick in Arkansas or Missouri or somewhere else will claim as they take your 60k in cash from you.

rxryanm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2019 GTP PP1
I don't get how they'd find a single piece of paper in your carryon or on your person that would make you subject for further search and potential seizure. Especially a check that's already made out to a business.

I personally would go with financing and pay off immediately. If you're that close to 800, the ding from the new account isn't gonna affect you enough to net you a lower interest rate, nor will going over 800 get you any better of a rate.

vanquishvzla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT 50th anniversary
A cashiers check doesn’t count as straight cash for legal reasons… you can travel with your check without problems…. Because there’s paper trail… same reason you dont have to complete a 1088 form when getting paid with a check over $10k
Sponsored