Sponsored

Wider rims, need advice

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Do you need spacers to switch from the 9.5 to the 11? If so what size? Do you have longer studs too, and presumably open lug nuts…? So many questions with four wheels…
You need camber to stuff the front 11" wheels under the fender - camber plates specifically because you need the room between the strut and fender which camber plates can give you.

Then, you need either
1) specific 11" wheels with ETs for the front (ET~26) - these will fit w/o spacers, but I only know two manufacturers who make front-specific 11" mustang offsets (without going full custom) - Apex is one and I forget the other.

OR 2) common 11" wheels ET~50-52 which fit the rear on our cars, a 25mm/1" slip on spacer, and extended studs which are at least 1" longer than stock - ARP makes some, and you can buy Ford hubs with these pre-installed, or just install them yourself.

OPMustang.com is a good source for studs and spacers, and the guy is very knowledgeable about and has been a great vendor to work with.

The advantage to 2 is you can freely rotate all four corners because they're all the same wheel offset and tire. With 1 you can't rotate front to rear (not everybody cares about that and you save some money not buying studs and spacers.

IMG_3479.jpg
Sponsored

OP
OP
TrackMustang

TrackMustang

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
You need camber to stuff the front 11" wheels under the fender - camber plates specifically because you need the room between the strut and fender which camber plates can give you.

Then, you need either
1) specific 11" wheels with ETs for the front (ET~26) - these will fit w/o spacers, but I only know two manufacturers who make front-specific 11" mustang offsets (without going full custom) - Apex is one and I forget the other.

OR 2) common 11" wheels ET~50-52 which fit the rear on our cars, a 25mm/1" slip on spacer, and extended studs which are at least 1" longer than stock - ARP makes some, and you can buy Ford hubs with these pre-installed, or just install them yourself.

OPMustang.com is a good source for studs and spacers, and the guy is very knowledgeable about and has been a great vendor to work with.

The advantage to 2 is you can freely rotate all four corners because they're all the same wheel offset and tire. With 1 you can't rotate front to rear (not everybody cares about that and you save some money not buying studs and spacers.

IMG_3479.jpg
There is so much to this… motorcycles are so much more simple.

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fiesta 1.25i, 2017 GB Ford Mustang GT PP Premium
Vehicle Showcase

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP
TrackMustang

TrackMustang

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
You should also look into the GT350 swap. Very easy and cheap (comparative with the PP/Bullitt kit) and has some inherent benefit over those in the caliper and pad design and also bigger rotors.
The ones I’ve seen are similar in price, unless I missed something?

OP
OP
TrackMustang

TrackMustang

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT

Then, you need either

IMG_3479.jpg
what specifically is the advantage of 11s over 10s?This seems like more work than getting a 10 to fit, is it worth it? Why/how?

Last edited:

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
The ones I’ve seen are similar in price, unless I missed something?
You're probably looking at the whole "kit" from a vendor that are usually has more expensive.

Buying just the barebones from a dealer or Ford parts vendor is cheaper.

I bought the whole front end GT350 kit for under $1k. Could even be done for a few hundred less had I not chosen to do the studs and ss lines and re-used the existing hardware. I went with the studs for easier pad/rotor swap at the track, not something that's needed for a street car.

Front calipers
Front pads
Steel rotors
Conversion brackets with the optional studs
Stainless lines

Sponsored

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
what specifically is the advantage of 11s over 10s?This seems like more work than getting a 10 to fit, is it worth it? Why/how?
You get a wider tires, for a track car it's very beneficial to fit a 305-315 tire over a 275-285 especially on the front of a nose heavy car.

Vert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Whipped 19 GT Premium
It all depends on what you want to spend, but for him I went with late model restoration wheels. Great budget buy with light weight rim.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
I'm assuming 11" w/ 305s and 10" w/285s

Yeah its a bit more work. Plus 11"s and 305 usually cost more. You might get 0.05 more lateral grip from the wider tires. Maybe your tires will last 5% longer because the bigger rubber can heatsink more heat.

If you're not in a competition setting and don't care about getting every last ounce out of the car's performance, I wouldn't say its a must-do.

11" 305 vs 10" 305 is worse. You probably still need the extra clearance and spacers, and your 305s on 10s are not going to be as well supported and will roll over and chew up the sidewalls more easily, and handling will be slightly sloppy compared to putting those tires on 11s.

OP
OP
TrackMustang

TrackMustang

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
I'm assuming 11" w/ 305s and 10" w/285s

Yeah its a bit more work. Plus 11"s and 305 usually cost more. You might get 0.05 more lateral grip from the wider tires. Maybe your tires will last 5% longer because the bigger rubber can heatsink more heat.

If you're not in a competition setting and don't care about getting every last ounce out of the car's performance, I wouldn't say its a must-do.

11" 305 vs 10" 305 is worse. You probably still need the extra clearance and spacers, and your 305s on 10s are not going to be as well supported and will roll over and chew up the sidewalls more easily, and handling will be slightly sloppy compared to putting those tires on 11s.
That’s kind of what I thought the answer was gonna be, I think I’ll end up getting 10s…
Sponsored