Sponsored

How much life did you get out of the stock P Zero summers?

Nickyweg

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln MKC
How many miles have you all gotten out of the P Zero summers on the PP cars?
I’m at like 5k miles now and am trying to plan if they’ll need to be replaced this year or next.
Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
2018; currently @ 39k on the factory PZeros... used in all seasons here in NJ and were rotated at each 5k service interval.

Yes, there's still tread left...

Marsalad

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mazda MX-5
I got about 5000 miles out of my first set of Pirelli rear tires (2017 GT PP) and maybe 4000 out of the second. After that I switched to Michelin PS4S and no longer consider the P Zeros to be a viable option. The Michelin PS4S is significantly better in wear, grip, noise, and ride quality. I even had the dealer remove the OEM Michelin Cup 2’s on my 2020 PP2 and replace them with PS4S before I took delivery.

tranceporter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 C7 Grand Sport
I got about 12k out of the rears on my 2017 GT PP and they probably should've been replaced a few thousand miles earlier.

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT/A 301A 5.0
800 miles before I switched them for bigger/better tires.

Sponsored

I Bleed Ford Blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2023 grabber blue metallic Mach 1
I got a little over 11K out of my back tires on my 17 PP1

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
How are they for traction and comfort in the cooler weather
Brand new, or even 20k-30k miles of wear, they will get through snow, using the "snow mode" feature of the S550 and driving with common sense.

The PZero compound does get hard due to colder weather; owner's manual states not to drive on them when temps are 45* or below... but that's not to say you can't, it IS to say take your own precautions and do NOT drive in the same manner as you would if it were 80* and sunny. The colder the weather, the harder the compound becomes and the less traction there will be IF not using common sense.

In normal temps (60-80*) and if rain, they grip very well, but again in colder temps you just have to be mindful of the compound change - they will still grip, but I would not be attempting speeds of 80+ in colder weather OR if raining/slick/snow in colder weather.

My treadwear is even, but that's because they have been rotated and tire psi has been maintained in each at 33psi (cold). The tread is currently just at the very top of the treadwear bars.

As far as "cracking" - no, there's no sidewall cracking due to running them in colder temps. There are warnings in the S550 Owners Manual and by Pirelli that this could happen, but there'a no visible cracks in my sidewalls.

I'm not saying ignore any vehicle or tire manufacturer warnings. The tires can be driven on if temps are below the Manufacturer warnings, it's just that the user or owner HAS to take additional precautions while driving in colder weather climates and know limitations of not just the tire, but of their own vehicle.

The PZero "summer only" tire compound will get hard as temps drop and traction can be limited based on road surface temps and wet or icy surfaces - that's no BS. With ANY tire, always take precautions. Just because a tire may be labeled as "summer only" or "snow only" doesn't mean that tire can't loose traction in XYZ conditions - a tire doesn't make a car invincible to pending disaster, it's the driver and their actions.

Offshoregames

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
21’ GT Premium PP1 Carbonized Grey Metallic loaded
Vehicle Showcase
I have 8k on my 21’ PP P Zeros and the rears are very close to needing changed. I’ve never did a burnout or any forced wheel spinning and they still didn’t last. Now the chip sealed roads here in north Texas are extremely rough and prob contributing to the quick wear. Will be changing to Michelin all season 4’s.

Last edited:

Firsttexan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2011 GT500 '19 GT PP1 '13 GT500, 98 GT, 92 LX 5.0
Vehicle Showcase
I have 8k on my 21’ PP and the rears are very close to needing changed. I’ve never did a burnout or any forced wheel spinning and they still didn’t last. Now the chip sealed roads here in north Texas are extremely rough and prob contributing to the quick wear. Will be changing to Michelin all season 4’s.
Do you currently have the Michelin Pilot 4s?

Strokercrate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT 400a Black Accent.
Near 15k miles. Drove several times sub 40f and a few sub 30f at those temps I could tell they would swing out on the rear if I did any spirited driving.

If you are looking for a great tire that is easier on the pocket look at uniroyal tiger paws. They are actually made by Michelin on the same lines and use the same compounds. I was very happy with the set i got. Now they definitely won't be CUP2 and will probably still be out preformed by PS4 but way better than Pzero in performance tread wear and cost.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Offshoregames

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
21’ GT Premium PP1 Carbonized Grey Metallic loaded
Vehicle Showcase
Do you currently have the Michelin Pilot 4s?
No I have the factory P- zeros on there but the rears will be toast soon so I will be changing to the Michelin all season 4

Firsttexan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
No I have the factory P- zeros on there but the rears will be toast soon so I will be changing to the Michelin all season 4
I guess they mix em up. Mine came with Michelin Pilot 4S summer tires.

My backs have just under 16k miles. They are on the last 1/3 of the tread. Very slippery in temps below 60.

Last edited:

js19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium
2018; currently @ 39k on the factory PZeros... used in all seasons here in NJ and were rotated at each 5k service interval.

Yes, there's still tread left...
I refuse to believe you put nearly 40k on those tires AND safely drove them in cold/wet/snowy conditions AND still have tread left. But if what you're saying is true then more power to you that's fantastic.

OP I put about 8k on those tires before the rears were cooked. Front still had some good tread but I did away with them because they're a bad tire IMO.

It just felt very unreliable at anything cooler than 60 degrees or wet. Both and you're in for a bad time. It is very important to me to have the confidence in my vehicle to be able to accelerate at a high rate of speed and not have to worry about losing control. Those tires did not do it for me when late fall rolled around.

Firsttexan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Near 15k miles. Drove several times sub 40f and a few sub 30f at those temps I could tell they would swing out on the rear if I did any spirited driving.

If you are looking for a great tire that is easier on the pocket look at uniroyal tiger paws. They are actually made by Michelin on the same lines and use the same compounds. I was very happy with the set i got. Now they definitely won't be CUP2 and will probably still be out preformed by PS4 but way better than Pzero in performance tread wear and cost.
I heard that way back in the 70s.

I forgot all about that.

Didn't know Uniroyal was still around.
Sponsored