Sponsored

Wiring guide for NON B&O premium audio systems. No LOC required.

Jaymar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaymar
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT/CS - Rapid Red
All those wires plug and play. Ws it worth the effort or will just the eq and maybe 3" do?
If you are going to keep the factory speakers, probably not. If replacing yes. The best improvements I found with the factory system were to disconnect the center speaker and (for Ecoboost cars) turn off the engine sounds/noise cancellation. I tried the flat EQ in Forscan and it sounds like garbage with those factory speakers. I've tried to re-equalize with an RTA and the new amp for the time being but after all is said and done, I'd say not worth the time, effort and expense if I was going to stop here. I have replacement speakers but I'd rather it stop raining before I tear into those.
Sponsored

Jaymar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaymar
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT/CS - Rapid Red
So are the wires all plug and play or cutting etc involved?
You can do it with the iDatalink HRN-AR-FO3 Harness, a TR4 adapter for the turn on and a few other odds and ends but you don't have to cut up the factory system. Getting everything to fit in the tight space without getting in the way of the clutch or your foot is one of the bigger challenges.

robsmack01

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium
If you are going to just add a subwoofer and subwoofer amp using the JL RD500/1 you have an even simpler without the need for any harness because that amp has speaker level inputs. Unplug the rear deck speakers and extend the wires to the sub amplifier input jacks with these: RCA to AV screw terminal adapters
Mount your amp in the spare tire well or other suitable place (under the rear deck even), run the 12v battery power and ground the amp at a solid point (bracket in the spare area is great for this), add a subwoofer box and as a final step so you get good sub bass to the amp inputs, use Forscan to flatten the EQ to restore bass on the rear channels.
When taping the rear speaker to get the signal for my sub/amp install, Im only needing 1- pair of line conversion RCA connectors? 1 line used for positive and the other for negative? What gauge speaker wire would u recommend for the amp to sub connection? Its JK 500/1 and and JL stealthbox. Thanks

OP
OP
StangTime

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
When taping the rear speaker to get the signal for my sub/amp install, Im only needing 1- pair of line conversion RCA connectors? 1 line used for positive and the other for negative? What gauge speaker wire would u recommend for the amp to sub connection? Its JK 500/1 and and JL stealthbox. Thanks
Run a pair of wires from each rear speaker. So you need 2 RCA adapters for an amp that only has RCA connections. The amp may have regular wire terminal inputs for hi-level. So check the connection diagrams or pictures of the amp. Twist the wires to form a twisted pair for noise immunity regardless. The amp should have a L and R input that will sum the signals together if using a mono sub amp. Use 16 to 12 gauge wire for the amp to subwoofer connection.

robsmack01

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium
Run a pair of wires from each rear speaker. So you need 2 RCA adapters for an amp that only has RCA connections. The amp may have regular wire terminal inputs for hi-level. So check the connection diagrams or pictures of the amp. Twist the wires to form a twisted pair for noise immunity regardless. The amp should have a L and R input that will sum the signals together if using a mono sub amp. Use 16 to 12 gauge wire for the amp to subwoofer connection.
Thanks, that helps out tremendously! Let yall know how it goes

Sponsored

robsmack01

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium
Thanks, that helps out tremendously! Let yall know how it goes
Its official, I failed at this. No idea why im not getting any sound from the sub. Ive double, triple checked every connection. Moved the ground wire to what seems to be a good location. Took a wire from the negative on battery and used a multimeter to test the ground. Measured .001ohm. Tested every connection up to the subwoofer and got a reading. Did the 9v test on the sub and heard a "pop". Re-did my in line converter RCA's thinking the posi taps wasn’t good enough. Amp seems to be fine. Going to take to the stereo shop. Ive done all i can

BrianH87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT ; 2021 Explorer ST
Theses diagrams are fantastic! I'm very new to audio. Are the outputs from the stock ACM to the DSP considered pre-amp? Or are they still speaker level?

OP
OP
StangTime

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
Theses diagrams are fantastic! I'm very new to audio. Are the outputs from the stock ACM to the DSP considered pre-amp? Or are they still speaker level?
Thank you.
For the Premium Non-B&O (9 speaker) systems, these are low-level (or pre-amp) signals. 2.7V

OP
OP
StangTime

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
Its official, I failed at this. No idea why im not getting any sound from the sub. Ive double, triple checked every connection. Moved the ground wire to what seems to be a good location. Took a wire from the negative on battery and used a multimeter to test the ground. Measured .001ohm. Tested every connection up to the subwoofer and got a reading. Did the 9v test on the sub and heard a "pop". Re-did my in line converter RCA's thinking the posi taps wasn’t good enough. Amp seems to be fine. Going to take to the stereo shop. Ive done all i can
That sucks! Do you sound coming from the rear speakers? If not check your fader. Or maybe you have a bad amp. Try connecting a set of regular RCA cables to the input and touch the tip with your finger, there should be enough noise to get some sound from the sub.

robsmack01

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium
That sucks! Do you sound coming from the rear speakers? If not check your fader. Or maybe you have a bad amp. Try connecting a set of regular RCA cables to the input and touch the tip with your finger, there should be enough noise to get some sound from the sub.
Sound does come from the rear speakers. And I know they’re connected correctly because when I put rcas in the in preouts plug (just for fun) they shut off. I took the sub box to a stereo shop today and finally heard sound from it. They were busy so I scheduled to go back Wednesday for them to finish up. It’s mind boggling. I did everything I learned correct. Must be missing something.

Sponsored
OP
OP
StangTime

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
Sound does come from the rear speakers. And I know they’re connected correctly because when I put rcas in the in preouts plug (just for fun) they shut off. I took the sub box to a stereo shop today and finally heard sound from it. They were busy so I scheduled to go back Wednesday for them to finish up. It’s mind boggling. I did everything I learned correct. Must be missing something.
If the speakers stopped playing when you plugged in the RCAs to the amp, then that would indicate a polarity issue with the signal grounding out. If shop got sound out of it, they likely figured out the problem.

robsmack01

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium
If the speakers stopped playing when you plugged in the RCAs to the amp, then that would indicate a polarity issue with the signal grounding out. If shop got sound out of it, they likely figured out the problem.
Okay just to be clear I plugged them in the correct (input) female ends of the amp. Moved them to the preouts out of sheer frustration and the rear speakers stopped working. Moved them back to the correct connection and they came back. So ur saying my ground on the amp isn’t good?

OP
OP
StangTime

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
Okay just to be clear I plugged them in the correct (input) female ends of the amp. Moved them to the preouts out of sheer frustration and the rear speakers stopped working. Moved them back to the correct connection and they came back. So ur saying my ground on the amp isn’t good?
Ah I see. Well plugging them into a pre out is an output with a low impedance. You basically connected two outputs together. So that would cause the rears to shut off.

robsmack01

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium
Ah I see. Well plugging them into a pre out is an output with a low impedance. You basically connected two outputs together. So that would cause the rears to shut off.
I’ll leave it to the shop to sort out. I really appreciate the advise and help. I’m sure it’s something I overlooked

BrianH87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT ; 2021 Explorer ST
Thank you.
For the Premium Non-B&O (9 speaker) systems, these are low-level (or pre-amp) signals. 2.7V
(From adding a sub perspective only) Hmm, just wondering why then is a LC2i used in a kit like the one from plugnplaykits.com? That's the harness they extend and tap into.. Couldn't one just use those low level signals directly into an amp? Or is the LC2i just used for bass restoration? I didn't know it could actually accept low level inputs. Sorry for newb questions, I like to know what I'm getting into before doing anything. Thanks again
Sponsored