Big Brake Kits vs. PowerStop Brake Kits

Mike Pfeifer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red Mustang GT A10
facebook Mustang for sale groups. I've acquired two sets that way so far. Bullet cars have red brembos, PP1/PP2 cars have grey ones. Sometimes you'll find them on ebay as well.

IMG_1599-HDR.jpg
Do the brembo takeoffs bolt right up to the same knuckle without modification?
Sponsored

CORNYOTE

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
Do the brembo takeoffs bolt right up to the same knuckle without modification?
you need the calipers, the rotors and the dust shields to be complete. I bought the dust shields from the local ford dealer for like $12. But yes they bolt right up without any modifications. Caliper and rotor sets regularly go for $500 sometimes a little more, sometimes a little less.

OP
OP

Bflem55

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT Premium
facebook Mustang for sale groups. I've acquired two sets that way so far. Bullet cars have red brembos, PP1/PP2 cars have grey ones. Sometimes you'll find them on ebay as well.

IMG_1599-HDR.jpg
Do I just search for brembo take offs then ?

CORNYOTE

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
Do I just search for brembo take offs then ?
Yeah or "Brembo" on the facebook groups. There's a ton of S550 for sale groups too. Or just make a post in the major S550 groups asking if anyone has any for sale. Sometimes you just have to be a little patient.

Chef jpd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1 6M, Grab ass lime. Ex: 2016 EB PPP CO
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

Crowd Hunter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
$hitbox
Furthermore anyone that know anything about performance brakes know that cross drilled rotors is a stupid idea for any type of performance braking
Show car, yes, Street warrior car, no
Sorry if I seems a little harsh but not only the name is stupid but using cross drilled rotors in a purported ( because of the name ), performance braking system. Is even stupider.
If cross drilled brake rotors are so stupid, I wonder why they were factory installed on my M5.

I just wish Power Stop made brake components for my car because the only options for replacements are much more expensive.

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw-brake-kit-front-and-rear-m5m6brakekit2

luc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT with PP
If cross drilled brake rotors are so stupid, I wonder why they were factory installed on my M5.

I just wish Power Stop made brake components for my car because the only options for replacements are much more expensive.

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw-brake-kit-front-and-rear-m5m6brakekit2
Is that a serious question?
For the same reason than other cars manufacturers…. For look
Do you know what the issue is with drilled rotors?
Every rotors when subject to high and prolonged heat, such as when using racing pads on a road course, will develop micro-cracks on the surface
With drilled rotors the cracks will go from holes to holes and render the rotor unusable and dangerous
It’s why you will never see cross drilled rotors on a race car
…. Do that answer your question?

Mike Pfeifer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red Mustang GT A10
Every rotors when subject to high and prolonged heat, such as when using racing pads on a road course, will develop micro-cracks on the surface
With drilled rotors the cracks will go from holes to holes and render the rotor unusable and dangerous
2FE59715-17BC-4BBD-BA43-53AE326A2230.jpeg

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
You keep bringing up road course. When is the last time you raced on a road course? Yes there are instances of cross drilled brakes failing but typically most people don't get them hot enough on the street to fail.

Saying they aren't any good at all, means you prefer to not acknowledge that these rotors aren't often driven in track situations.

Are you running Brembos on all your cars? I know I'm not, and there are reasons for that. You ever wonder why it's pretty easy to find Brembo take-offs for our cars.

Again, different brakes for different situations.

GT_MTL

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Yves
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium - 2018 F-150 XLT
Some very well explained scientific context on that matter.

You can jump to the very end for conclusions.

(BTW I love every video from this guy !)
After that, we could also discuss fixed vs semi-floating vs floating discs :)

Sponsored

Crowd Hunter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
$hitbox
Do you know what the issue is with drilled rotors?w
With drilled rotors the cracks will go from holes to holes and render the rotor unusable and dangerousm
I just ordered the genuine BMW rotors and pads for my car. I couldn't find any aftermarket rotors for my car that were not drilled. Unfortunately BMW recommends replacing pads and rotors together, but the previous owner only replaced the pads. The rotors have quite a large lip around the outside edge, but no cracks at all around the cross drilled holes.

20220105_165251.jpg

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
Good video with explanations.

Some very well explained scientific context on that matter.

You can jump to the very end for conclusions.

(BTW I love every video from this guy !)
After that, we could also discuss fixed vs semi-floating vs floating discs :)

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
Angrey thanks for your response I will be buying the street warriors after reading that post. Thank you so much.
Did you notice that PowerStop kit is rear only ? (one with calipers)
And those Baer brakes are lower diameter rotor than one you have to save weight (like most drag brakes - someone correct me if I am wrong here) ?

None of these are an upgrade to what you have.

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Ford stopped using drilled rotors on the 350 and 500 because the benefits were/are minor and they simply found that it chewed up pads quicker.

It wasn't a matter of cost per say but that they weren't seeing enough of the positives to outweigh the more frequent pad consumption.

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, Toyota Tacoma, 89 GT project, 2020 Magnetic EB HPP w/ 6M
So you have to buy more discs and pads for any given usage (street, track, whatever). Go to any pro race and you'll see plently of slotted discs, but you won't see any drilled ones.

The last race car I know of that used drilled discs was the Porsche Cup car from several generations back and those were drilled specifically to be able to sell more parts (it's all spec, there are no alternative suppliers).
Sponsored