Sponsored

The American Addiction to Speeding

jtmat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vert turbo!!!!
We just don’t feel the need to rush everywhere. I enjoy my drive comfortably and economically, I leave few mins early and always arrive on time.
If you always arrive on time, are you really leaving early? Maybe you are referencing the people who leave late who you believe are leaving on time but they are always late. I dunno...

Yes, please drive the speed limit and stay in the far right-hand lane. Thank you!
Sponsored

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
That's kind of the point I was trying to make earlier - we drive in "mixed company" - drivers of varying ability. I am sure that many, if not most, drivers do not understand the PHYSICS of driving and how their particular car will react in different situations. Simply applying the brakes is a vastly different experience at 90 vs 50 mph. Speed limits need to take all of this into account, too.
I do volunteer work instructing under privileged kids how to drive (parents don’t have a car etc etc).
One of the very first lessons I teach them is emergency braking. Not once, but several times on a variety of surfaces. There‘s one particular stretch of road nearby that looks “fine”. Once that ABS kicks in, all you can hear is the stones being pulled out of the road and flicked up into the guards, along with a stopping distance that is vastly worse than they’ve seen before. I do that one last, just to show them that even when you think you‘re “ok”, you might not be. Planting the seed of self doubt in their mind.

Needless to say, they gain a rapid appreciation for the physics of stopping and how the road surface impacts that ability.

I wish more instructors would do the same. Most people have no idea how well their vehicle can stop (Or not).
It’s the one thing that everyone should have at least tried a few times when they don’t actually need it.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
OTOH I know people from SCCA stuff that will take off ramps without lifting etc.
Thats me, but only when safe to do so, IE no other traffic.

People made fun of me when I said I ran mid ohio on UHP A/S tires. But I know the limits of the car, and the tires I drive on the street.

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
My wife is easily in the bottom quintile. Driving with her is terrifying. I think the issue is people confuse "good" with "safe" A lot of the worst drivers I know are the type the their bumpers look like someone took an angle grinder to them because they bump into stuff in parking lots so much, yet love to claim they have never been in an 'accident'. By virtue of that they are 'good' drivers. OTOH I know people from SCCA stuff that will take off ramps without lifting etc. I don't think anyone would call them safe drivers, but they certain know how to control their car way better. Average Joe would be off the road trying to keep up.
You know, today I was thinking about this thread as I drove, yes I was thinking about it, because of the people FLYING BY, all had scratched up cars, bumpers falling off, looks like they hit people on the routine.

Not all, but damn, I want to say half of them all had destruction on their cars. Oh, and every single charger I saw, was breaking triple digits, weaving in and out traffic. the chargers, cannot hold it together here. A lot of them have no license plates in my area as well, cars in general being reckless no l license plates. but hey, no fear. whatever. Saw several chargers today blowing on by. silly charger guys. tsk tsk tsk.

So I want to associate the people breaking the speed limits, a lot of them as bad drivers. I cant say these are the people id want to be driving in first place, let alone speeding or raising the speed limit to make them happy. just my opinion

Sponsored

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Glad I don't live where you do
if you had a certain persons sticker on your car during last elections, people in dayton city was smashing your windows in with bricks, and some even got caught on fire. Lol. blows my mind. btw- zero consequences. barely made any news. its like it was blocked off tv.

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
thats a really nice thing for you to do. kudos
The reward makes it worth it.
Because of our licensing laws, they need to meet a target of 120 hours behind the wheel on their learner permit before they can even sit the provisional licence exam.
So, in these situations where they don’t have access to a car, they’re pretty much blocked from entering the workforce in rural areas where public transport is almost non-existent.
Seeing them get not just a licence but also a job is hugely satisfying for both parties. It means a lot more to them than just “not walking”.

ICU812

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Tempo, Ford Mustang,FFR,Crown vic.
It certainly is. I find speed limits around here are very unrealistic and often make no sense. We have divided, 4 lane boulevards in light traffic areas with speed limits of 25, 35, 40 and 50 mph, depending on the municipality. We have sections of freeway that change between 55 and 70 mph depending on the county they are in.
I like when a road goes from 55 to 35 then back to 55 for no reason. Every city town has at least one. the speed limit signs might be 45-30-45 or 40-30-40 but same outcome easy money for the town/city and the auto unsurance industry.
I'll bet only 25% of speeding tickets are from unsafe speeding. And the rest are from flow of traffic and gotta pick one, or the speed traps listed above.
Worse is I know a bunch of roads that pull the 55-35-55 while on a decline again for no reason other than you are going down hill and the vehicle will roll faster even if you let off the gass.

Sponsored

ICU812

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Tempo, Ford Mustang,FFR,Crown vic.
If traffic is going 40 + Mph faster than you, you are a road hazzard.
Nope. you'd be correct if the speed limit was 75, and he was doing 35.
But if the speed limit is 65 and most others are going 90mph, they are the hazard.
Yes I agree a 30mph or more difference in speed is an issue, but you're pointing your finger at the wrong driver(s)
Some folks don't want to risk their freedom just to go with the flow of traffic.
You can be on probation for a very minor thing, and it be you that get tagged for 30 over. that in many areas is an automatic driving to endanger and land your ass in the county clink.
Not say'n that is the case here, but it was for me decades ago.
Just because all your friends are jumping off a cliff are you following them?

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
Your best bet in driving on the freeways is stay in the center lanes and follow the flow of traffic. The left lane is the one most monitored and most likely get you ticketed. The right lane is the one most likely to have an accident due to slow and merging traffic. Not just my opinion. In my job, I had interaction with several law enforcement agencies, regarding traffic control.

Last edited:

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
I still don’t want to speed, I feel like a bad person breaking the limit with possibility of ticket since breaking the speed limit. People think because everyone else is doing it, it’s in fact acceptable. I think that’s wrong mentality.

officer- why was you speeding?
You-Everyone else was
Officer- here’s your ticket.

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
Correct answer is heavy enforcement. 100% ticket everyone all day. Within half a year people will not speed as much
That would be terribly impractical. Every traffic stop creates serious congestion and greatly increases the possibility of an accident. Traffic has to flow smoothly. It's far more important than strict adherence to posted speed limits.

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
That would be terribly impractical. Every traffic stop creates serious congestion and greatly increases the possibility of an accident. Traffic has to flow smoothly. It's far more important than strict adherence to posted speed limits.
Use automated ticketing, we used to have vans and cameras, but they got rid of them.- Supreme Court says illegal but imo, those and red light cameras I appreciated- I’ve been tboned and had broken ribs at a light. People blow through with not a single care

Lemme tell ya, when you saw a white van, all traffic was going speed limit. I liked it.

doesn’t work w no plates though, which tons do not have anymore since COVID. No fear of pull overs so people simply havnt worried about getting tags or don’t have on by choice
Sponsored