Big Brake Kits vs. PowerStop Brake Kits

Bflem55

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT Premium
I'm looking to upgrade my brakes on my 2016 GT Premium. I am not a drag racer or a street racer , but I would like to have some brakes that look nice and perform nice. I have looked at multiple options and the big brake kits look great, but are super pricey. My question is what's the main difference? If I'm not racing do I really need a big brake kit. I was kind of down to either the
PowerStop Z26 Street Warrior Brake Rotor, Pad and Caliper Kit

or

Baer SS4+ Deep Stage Drag Race Front Big Brake Kit

The Baer kit says drag race kit , but it seems like it isn't just for drag racing can I use it for street use?
Sponsored

luc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT with PP
I'm looking to upgrade my brakes on my 2016 GT Premium. I am not a drag racer or a street racer , but I would like to have some brakes that look nice and perform nice. I have looked at multiple options and the big brake kits look great, but are super pricey. My question is what's the main difference? If I'm not racing do I really need a big brake kit. I was kind of down to either the
PowerStop Z26 Street Warrior Brake Rotor, Pad and Caliper Kit

or

Baer SS4+ Deep Stage Drag Race Front Big Brake Kit

The Baer kit says drag race kit , but it seems like it isn't just for drag racing can I use it for street use?
I would stay away from anything that call itself “street warrior”
It’s stupid and the target must be acne- suffering teenagers
Best bang for the buck would be the pp1, Bullit, Mach 1 and PP2 front 6 pistons Brembo calipers with 15” rotors
You can do the upgrade for less than $500 or maybe a bit more

Last edited:

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
This Holly carb is called Street Warrior and so is this intake. Just throwing that out there. Actually the Power Stops has a huge following. I know a guy that replaced his Brembos rotors and Pads on his PP car and drove it on Road Atlanta after the change. He still has the Power Stops on the car, so I'm guessing he thinks they are ok for what he does. BTW he is in his 50s.

I would stay away from anything that call itself “street warrior”
It’s stupid and the target must be acne- suffering teenagers
Best bang for the buck would be the pp1, Bullit, Mach 1 and PP2 front 6 pistons Brembo calipers with 15” rotors
You can do the upgrade for less than $500 or maybe a bit more
streetwarriorcarb.jpg

wnd-8121_dx_xl.jpg

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
First off, people need to understand how brakes work (and what it means to work better or less).

A car and it's tire patches/contact either taps out in 2 ways, either there's more brake than traction (which will allow the vehicle to lock up the tires and go from static friction to dynamic friction) or the tires/traction have more capability than the brakes can provide (meaning you can stand on the brakes, but they'll never lock up because you have more traction than brake.)

This will become important in a moment.

In most modern vehicles, you get more brakes than traction. This is where anti-lock braking comes in, to prevent the driver from skidding (dynamic friction) and limit the braking applied to keep the friction/resistance static.

So once you get above the traction where you have more brake than tire...what's the point? Could you put ginormous brakes and get more performance? Yes and no.

Bigger brakes aren't necessarily going to help you stop faster (once you have more brake than tire) what they will do is allow the brakes to run cooler and stop multiple times more effectively and consistently without fading (especially at high temp).

So will a smaller brake package stop the car once or twice as well as the big 6 piston variants, the answer is probably (again as long as they're above the traction capability). The issue and the reason for the added size, weight, etc is for repeated use (aka street and track) capability.

Big brakes add weight in 2 ways, the weight of the caliper/rotors, but also the larger they are, the larger (and heavier) the wheels need to be to clear them. This doesn't just add unsprung weight, it adds additional rotational inertia, meaning the car then has to worker harder to accelerate and also the brakes have to work harder to stop the forward motion of the car AND the increased rotational momentum. So bigger brakes have to be bigger to add more fade resistance but also to overcome the additional braking required from bigger wheels.

Furthermore, if you're going to run both smaller/skinnier tires up front (for less rolling resistance and weight and better drag performance), AND anti-lock brakes, you're not going to benefit one bit from big giant brakes, the tire will skid, the ABS will kick in and it'll grind and continue moving.

Having said all that, you can put a small(er), more light weight (and smaller wheel diameter) set of brakes and still enact the anti-lock braking system. It'll stop virtually the same as the bigger more capable brakes. The difference will be that bigger brakes and performance pads don't just perform better under harsher and repeated use, most high performance pads actually NEED to be warmed up properly before they start to perform at maximum.

What does that mean? It means unless you're gonna be doing HPDE, auto cross, etc, or you just like long periods of acceleration and braking on the highway (moving through varied traffic) you're not going to notice the added benefits (other than looking better).

My car will put your face in the windshield, and yes that's because of the brakes, but it's more because the front tires are 305's and the brakes are just able to exceed the added front suspension and traction, and do it repeatedly and often and get very VERY hot and still perform.

So in summary, if you want bigger brakes (which do look better) you're going to be adversely affecting the unsprung weight, overall weight, rolling resistance, etc in order to take advantage of them AND you're only going to see the full benefit if you're doing repeated hard braking events in succession.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Bflem55

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT Premium
Angrey thanks for your response I will be buying the street warriors after reading that post. Thank you so much.

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
I have them and supercharged and have no complaints.

Angrey thanks for your response I will be buying the street warriors after reading that post. Thank you so much.

luc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT with PP
This Holly carb is called Street Warrior and so is this intake. Just throwing that out there. Actually the Power Stops has a huge following. I know a guy that replaced his Brembos rotors and Pads on his PP car and drove it on Road Atlanta after the change. He still has the Power Stops on the car, so I'm guessing he thinks they are ok for what he does. BTW he is in his 50s.

streetwarriorcarb.jpg

wnd-8121_dx_xl.jpg
Well, if your point is that they are not the only one that use a infantile marketing name for their product, I agree with you
Also since you bought the “ street warrior “ I’m not surprised that you defend the name….
Can you explain to me what “street warrior” is supposed to mean ?
Seems to be a line from the fast and furious ….
Furthermore anyone that know anything about performance brakes know that cross drilled rotors is a stupid idea for any type of performance braking
Show car, yes, Street warrior car, no
Sorry if I seems a little harsh but not only the name is stupid but using cross drilled rotors in a purported ( because of the name ), performance braking system. Is even stupider
As for your comment regarding some one using them on his pp at road Atlanta, maybe he is a beginner or simply slow
Don’t take my words for it, go to the Other Mustang forum that is catering to race and track cars and you can see what they have to say about performance brakes
The factory pp brake pads are street pads that are ok on a track for a few sessions for beginners drivers

Last edited:

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
My comment was simply about the name. It has nothing to do with the brakes themselves.

I don't know what point you are trying to prove. It depends on how the driver plans to drive. I don't need a class on brakes. I have cars with stock brakes, Brembo brakes, and brakes from other manufacturers. You don't like the name "Warrior" and there is nothing wrong with that. When your comment, you didn't reference how or why the brakes would be inferior. When we say performance, we have to remember that means something different for many people, thus the reason some car manufacturers equip their cars with either Brembos or cross-drilled rotors. We tend to forget that there are a lot more people that don't drive in performance events than there are that does. Would I run the Power Stops if I was going to track the car, nope. In
that area we both agree. I don't need to go to other forums. I go to race tracks. Now I hope I wasn't too harsh......as again the comment was based on the name only and in that post, I said nothing about performance but it seems you want to school me on something that didn't come up in the post at all.

I forgot to answer your question, "can I tell you what the name street warrior means". Let's think about that. You are asking a person that has nothing to do with the manufacturer, why they chose a specific name. Lots of products have interesting names....mostly for marketing I would say if you really want to know. When I think of Street Warrior, the movie comes to mind.

Well, if your point is that they are not the only one that use a infantile marketing name for their product, I agree with you
Also since you bought the “ street warrior “ I’m not surprised that you defend the name….
Can you explain to me what “street warrior” is supposed to mean ?
Seems to be a line from the fast and furious ….
Furthermore anyone that know anything about performance brakes know that cross drilled rotors is a stupid idea for any type of performance braking
Show car, yes, Street warrior car, no
Sorry if I seems a little harsh but not only the name is stupid but using cross drilled rotors in a purported ( because of the name ), performance braking system. Is even stupider
As for your comment regarding some one using them on his pp at road Atlanta, maybe he is a beginner or simply slow
Don’t take my words for it, go to the Other Mustang forum that is catering to race and track cars and you can see what they have to say about performance brakes
The factory pp brake pads are street pads that are ok on a track for a few sessions for beginners drivers

Sponsored

Labradog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Guard Metallic
I know a guy that replaced his Brembos rotors and Pads on his PP car and drove it on Road Atlanta after the change. He still has the Power Stops on the car, so I'm guessing he thinks they are ok for what he does. BTW he is in his 50s
Should only do this if you're looking to kill yourself. Those pads and rotors have no business being anywhere near a track. There are photos around of a complete rotor failure that was used for a track day. I say this as someone running Z26 pads on the street.

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
I wouldn't run them on a track. I do think he went to Road Atlanta, it was for a Mustang America event and no fast lapping. I could be wrong.

Should only do this if you're looking to kill yourself. Those pads and rotors have no business being anywhere near a track. There are photos around of a complete rotor failure that was used for a track day. I say this as someone running Z26 pads on the street.

CORNYOTE

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
pretty hard to beat $500 6-piston brembo take offs. Just my opinion.

CORNYOTE

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
Where do I find these?
facebook Mustang for sale groups. I've acquired two sets that way so far. Bullet cars have red brembos, PP1/PP2 cars have grey ones. Sometimes you'll find them on ebay as well.

IMG_1599-HDR.jpg
Sponsored