Sponsored

Per Ford (officially) the 2011-2019 F150/Mustang 5.0 “Typewriter Tick” is a normal characteristic

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
I have been treating the tick with Ceratec since my first oil change with Mobile 1. Also used Castrol Edge with similar results. Tick comes back with a vengeance after a fresh oil change using either of the above oils. However at my 5th oil change at 40k miles I decided to try Penzoil Ultra Platinum 5w-30 and guess what? Tick is gone! Still have a bottle of Ceratec sitting on the work bench for now. Anyone else had good luck running the Penzoil ULtra Platinum 5w-30?
I've seen other members on another tread mentioning their tick went away with Pennzoil Platinum 5w20. I'm gonna try that too on my 2020 GT. I wonder if I should use the 5w20 or 5w30 tho.
Sponsored

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
I've seen other members on another tread mentioning their tick went away with Pennzoil Platinum 5w20. I'm gonna try that too on my 2020 GT. I wonder if I should use the 5w20 or 5w30 tho.
I'd go with 5W-30. For the 2021 model year, Ford specifies 5W-30 whereas in the 2018-2020 Coyote they specified 5W-20. I don't think there is any mechanical differences in the 2021 Coyote, so Ford bumped the viscosity up for other reasons. Also, the 2020 manual specifies 5W-30 for "track use". Lots of guys run 5W-30 (including me) with good results, and it will give some added engine protection because 5W-30 will be a bit thicker when hot than 5W-20.

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
I'd go with 5W-30. For the 2021 model year, Ford specifies 5W-30 whereas in the 2018-2020 Coyote they specified 5W-20. I don't think there is any mechanical differences in the 2021 Coyote, so Ford bumped the viscosity up for other reasons. Also, the 2020 manual specifies 5W-30 for "track use". Lots of guys run 5W-30 (including me) with good results, and it will give some added engine protection because 5W-30 will be a bit thicker when hot than 5W-20.
Thanks, I just bought some 5W-30 Pennzoil on Amazon, as well as a pennzoil filter. I'm hoping my typewriter tick goes away with it.

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
Just downloaded a pdf of the 2021 owner's manual and you're right! They changed that page! Thanks for the info again.
I hope I didn't damage my engine putting the 5W-20 synthetic blend motorcraft for 8000 miles. I never tracked my car but I do have a heavy foot sometimes.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just downloaded a pdf of the 2021 owner's manual and you're right! They changed that page! Thanks for the info again.
I hope I didn't damage my engine putting the 5W-20 synthetic blend motorcraft for 8000 miles. I never tracked my car but I do have a heavy foot sometimes.
I doubt the 5W-20 hurt anything. I certainly wouldn't run 5W-20 in track use though. I ran 5W-20 until 4000 miles on my GT then switched to 5W-30 Valvoline Advanced full synthetic. The engine sounds better on that oil than it did wtih 5W-20 Motorcraft synthetic blend.

Sponsored

19gtaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang GT, PP1 and 2021 Mach 1
Thanks, I just bought some 5W-30 Pennzoil on Amazon, as well as a pennzoil filter. I'm hoping my typewriter tick goes away with it.
Let us know if it helps. I plan to change to Pennzoil 5w-30 on my next oil change. My engine is very quiet but I just want to change from 5w-20 to 5w-30.

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
Back in time before ford's tsb people tried (me included) different oil brands and viscosities to fix the tick and this approach did not work.

I believe 5w30 may prevent tick from happening in the first place though.

Plan on switching on 5w30 by the summer myself.

barron64

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT convertible PP1, 6sp, 2006 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab 4x4, 2009 Acura MDX, 2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser
Just for the record, I am using Penzoil “Ultra Platinum” 5w-30, which so far has stopped the tick. This is their top of the line synthetic which I had to order from Walmart as they did not carry it on their shelves. They also have just a “Platinum” version which is still synthetic, but not their top brand synthetic oil. However my local Walmart stocks this version.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
FYI, prior to my purchase this month, the PUP I bought was labeled as SN. The latest order is certified for SP. I believe it's not just a matter of recertifying the same oil because PP had been rated SN+ for as long as that standard existed while PUP remained SN. SP is equal or better than SN+ in every way, ergo if PUP always met the new SP standard, it also met SN+.

If buying PUP to help the tick, you might want to go for the SP labeled just in case that is the spec people are saying helps/cures the tick. There is almost certainly SN labeled stock still out there.

One of the reasons for SP was a reduction in timing chain wear; maybe the changes for that also helps with the tick.

Wish they had done this sooner as I was using PP instead of PUP in my boosted Cadi to get the extra LSPI protection of SN+.

Another note, PUP contains a small amount of something that settles out. Good idea to shake it up if it's been sitting for a while if you want to make sure all of whatever it is gets into your engine.

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
Just for the record, I am using Penzoil “Ultra Platinum” 5w-30, which so far has stopped the tick. This is their top of the line synthetic which I had to order from Walmart as they did not carry it on their shelves. They also have just a “Platinum” version which is still synthetic, but not their top brand synthetic oil. However my local Walmart stocks this version.
I tried pup 5w20 with no success, also mobile 1 5w30 and redlinre with no success on previous ticking block.

Now on non ticking block - castrol 5w20 + 150ml ceratec.

In the light of user manual update plan on 5w30 and ceratec reduction to 75-100ml.

Sponsored

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I tried pup 5w20 with no success, also mobile 1 5w30 and redlinre with no success on previous ticking block.

Now on non ticking block - castrol 5w20 + 150ml ceratec.

In the light of user manual update plan on 5w30 and ceratec reduction to 75-100ml.
Not all Coyotes respond the same way to different oils used when it comes to the BBQ tick. Ceratec, even at the small dosage is enough friction modification to the oil to make the tick go away.

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
Happy New Year to all of you.

Alright so as an update guys I just changed to Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5W30 and the tick is still there but not as loud as before (I can still hear it at a red light tho). I am at 8500 miles, 3rd oil change.

19gtaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang GT, PP1 and 2021 Mach 1
Happy New Year to all of you.

Alright so as an update guys I just changed to Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5W30 and the tick is still there but not as loud as before (I can still hear it at a red light tho). I am at 8500 miles, 3rd oil change.
Thanks for letting us know.

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
Thanks for letting us know.
No Worries. It took me some time cause I got sick with the virus (there was an outbreak at my work place) and I had high fever for 4 days + cold chills, headache, body aches and nausea.

I was thinking about selling my 2020 GT for something else but car prices are insane right now and idk why Mustang appraisal values are down on carmax (used to be higher 1-2 months ago).

I guess I'll just put some ceratec if it continues to bother me.

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
Update here guys.

After about 200 miles in the new oil, the ticking noise is gone or sometimes really quiet (you gotta get down and almost go behind the tire to hear it). The car runs much smoother with Pennzoil and I sometimes hear some ticks here and there but maybe it's just the injectors idk. I have the 2k rattle but other than that all is fine.

I can thus confirm Pennzoil is really much better than Motorcraft.
Sponsored