Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
They used one of these:

1640266033305.png
That's how most of our cars made it from the railyard to the dealership. I actually saw my 2016 when it was being transported. No issues.
Sponsored

FKE SNK

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350, 93 Cobra clone
A good friend just sold there avalanche gray to Carmax, but it wasn’t low miles. It was 18kish, needed a couple grand to be put back where it should be. Carmax gave them 49k for it. You already know there are not many of those cars, avalanche gray. I wouldn’t be concerned about the motor swap, actually its a blessing in my opinion. Regardless its a push at worst. The transporter screwing up has nothing to do with the quality of the car. It’s repairable. And not a big or difficult repair. My friends wife drug there’s on a parking block and I’m sure its a similar type of damage. Not a big deal. I’d ignore the run away from the car crowd. It’s internet bs. None of us have seen the car and only you know how nice or not nice it is. As long as the body and interior of the car are to your standard the minor mechanical issue’s are simple to address. You still have your trade in, so let them fix the issue’s then judge for yourself at that point. Best of luck.
This is spot on.

CJJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT/CS Convertible - Race Red
Last weekend driving through Utah I saw a GT500 on one of those, made me cringe a little.
I watched someone destroy a GT500 trying to get it onto a U-haul trailer. I was astounded. Happened on a blazing hot day in the middle of nowhere Oregun in the shitty gravel parking lot of an ancient, dank muffler shop that also happened to be a U-haul rental place. The inside was a collection of dark grey dust, grime, and muffler bits that hadn't been cleaned in all of time. There was one 60 watt bulb lighting the place (a large three-bay) hung over a 'desk' at which sat Jabba-the-Hutt's slightly less obese younger brother in nothing but overalls (that also had not been cleaned in all of time). He was chomping a stub of a cigar to complete the ensemble.

I stood at his desk which was covered in all manner of things that are apt to build up in a country muffler shop. There was everything from dirty ashtrays and oily rags to crumpled invoices. There was a detritus of leftover food, rust, cigarette ash, etc. spread about like confetti. There were parts catalogs that have endured multiple beverage spills and countless unclean hands, the oldest of which were propping up a CRT monitor and computer connected to the one of the first computer keyboards ever created. It had one of those rubbery protectors that are molded around the keys...also one of the first production runs. It was yellowed a bit...in spots. The rest of what had once been a mostly transparent material was dark brown to almost opaque black. It was also completely shredded from use across most of the keys, which were also so dirty and used up they no longer had any letters on them, some were missing completely.

Then the kid walked in...

He was 20 at most and had obviously never been in a place so obscenely dirty in his whole life. I don't think he could see too well either after coming inside from the blazing Oregun Sun. He didn't see me at first when he asked if it was the U-haul place, and indeed it was according to Jabba. The kid then said he was the one with the GT500.

I stepped to the side...

Jabba groaned to his feet and I gave him a quick nod and off he went with the kid...I followed not too close behind. Outside seemed impossibly bleached white in comparison to the dirty darkness of the shop. The blue GT500 seemed to float among a blazing white haze. It was parked in the middle of the gravel yard. Right then some big black F150 pulls in right next to it (in this relatively large yard) covering it in a fine coating of gravel dust.

For some reason the kid wants to trailer the car with the truck on a U-haul car hauler. As we are walking out to the yard, another muffler shop guy is packing up a bunch of old wood at the back of the trailer like a pile of kindling. These were the ramps.

To make this ridiculously long story shorter, Jabba's kid brother ends up behind the wheel of the GT500 and the kid ends up in tears threatening to call 911. The rest you can imagine.

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe

Sponsored

theruleslawyer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
MB C350
If its going to be a track toy id consider the newer motor a plus and hold their feet to the fire to get everything fixed and a discount. If it were my sunny weekend car garage queen id want something with less issues.

OP
OP
jseeutat

jseeutat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
The car is going back to Vroom. Will update later. Don't want to put too much out there in case a lawsuit unfolds. Car also has the wrong size tire on the front, missing hardware in the trunk, and issues with the passenger rear suspension. They don't want to fix the issues that weren't disclosed. Thanks for all the support and suggestions.

Saxgod

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350, 2021 Bronco Sport Outerbanks
I watched someone destroy a GT500 trying to get it onto a U-haul trailer. I was astounded. Happened on a blazing hot day in the middle of nowhere Oregun in the shitty gravel parking lot of an ancient, dank muffler shop that also happened to be a U-haul rental place. The inside was a collection of dark grey dust, grime, and muffler bits that hadn't been cleaned in all of time. There was one 60 watt bulb lighting the place (a large three-bay) hung over a 'desk' at which sat Jabba-the-Hutt's slightly less obese younger brother in nothing but overalls (that also had not been cleaned in all of time). He was chomping a stub of a cigar to complete the ensemble.

I stood at his desk which was covered in all manner of things that are apt to build up in a country muffler shop. There was everything from dirty ashtrays and oily rags to crumpled invoices. There was a detritus of leftover food, rust, cigarette ash, etc. spread about like confetti. There were parts catalogs that have endured multiple beverage spills and countless unclean hands, the oldest of which were propping up a CRT monitor and computer connected to the one of the first computer keyboards ever created. It had one of those rubbery protectors that are molded around the keys...also one of the first production runs. It was yellowed a bit...in spots. The rest of what had once been a mostly transparent material was dark brown to almost opaque black. It was also completely shredded from use across most of the keys, which were also so dirty and used up they no longer had any letters on them, some were missing completely.

Then the kid walked in...

He was 20 at most and had obviously never been in a place so obscenely dirty in his whole life. I don't think he could see too well either after coming inside from the blazing Oregun Sun. He didn't see me at first when he asked if it was the U-haul place, and indeed it was according to Jabba. The kid then said he was the one with the GT500.

I stepped to the side...

Jabba groaned to his feet and I gave him a quick nod and off he went with the kid...I followed not too close behind. Outside seemed impossibly bleached white in comparison to the dirty darkness of the shop. The blue GT500 seemed to float among a blazing white haze. It was parked in the middle of the gravel yard. Right then some big black F150 pulls in right next to it (in this relatively large yard) covering it in a fine coating of gravel dust.

For some reason the kid wants to trailer the car with the truck on a U-haul car hauler. As we are walking out to the yard, another muffler shop guy is packing up a bunch of old wood at the back of the trailer like a pile of kindling. These were the ramps.

To make this ridiculously long story shorter, Jabba's kid brother ends up behind the wheel of the GT500 and the kid ends up in tears threatening to call 911. The rest you can imagine.
Well written sir. Would love to read the rest of that story 😂

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
The car is going back to Vroom. Will update later. Don't want to put too much out there in case a lawsuit unfolds. Car also has the wrong size tire on the front, missing hardware in the trunk, and issues with the passenger rear suspension. They don't want to fix the issues that weren't disclosed. Thanks for all the support and suggestions.
For specialty cars...it's an old saying that you buy the seller and then the car. All these sellign services seem to go 100% against that. Besides that, they have every incentive to not give you the whole story - they just want to sell the car. I don't see ever buying from a company like this - always private seller and preferably original owner.

Sponsored

cmxPPL219

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2

Hoofer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Boz
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Vert, PP1, MagneRide, ActiveExhaust, B&O
Return it. You'll never be sorry you did.

Like one of the other posters previously mentioned, "They'd sell a car to Carvana/Vroom, but never buy one from them".

Postal Bob

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
That's how most of our cars made it from the railyard to the dealership. I actually saw my 2016 when it was being transported. No issues.
Remember, when shipped from factory, they have those blocks in the springs to help keep the car's height raised. Also the front spoilers are not put on until after they arrive at dealer.

cmxPPL219

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
Agree a lot with what was already said, but I'll add that this is the issue with Vroom/Carvanas of the world, in that for such a complex piece of machinery like a car - especially a used car - it's a huge disadvantage to buy without ever having seen it in person, let alone to drive the vehicle. New is a different story, but used can be very tricky, especially for a car like the GT350 and some of the issues it's known to have. You have the exchange policy, yes - but there are hassles with this route.

These companies target a certain demo who hate the traditional hassle of buying a car, but specifically a younger demo that isn't too mechanically-inclined and views vehicles as an appliance - "...Something I should be able to buy online and have it be quick transaction, like everything else I do off Amazon, eBay, my fav online retailer, etc." I could say I fit in this demo's age range only, but I personally grew up with the idea that - often, but not always - you can easily be buying some other person's problems, and to see it in person is a must. Drive it, open the hood, check everything over, open the doors, look for chop shop repair jobs - things that will not show up on a Carfax because it was a cash repair. It's sad, but you often can't trust the dealer to know or care.

Think of all the folks trading in a vehicle because they have problems with it, and want to be done with it - many of us on this very forum have likely also done it- and so you unload your problems onto the market. It's so common. Yes, there are other reasons for a trade (inappropriate vehicle for lifestyle, affordability, bored etc.) However, often, the talk is trading in because of issues. Dealer reconditioning may not catch and fix of all it. And, as we heard with Vroom/Carvana, looks like they don't do much at all with many of their buys.

In the case of a specialty ride like the GT350, I'd try to buy a unit either from a Ford dealer or a great private party seller that has everything documented. Ford dealers know of GT350 issues like oil consumption, and will likely only carry a unit that's in great overall shape with original engine with no issues or if it's one that has had it replaced, they'll tell you easily if you ask before you even buy (OASIS).

With that said, I do understand OP - you want a specific car, congif and feature-set that's hard to find, so you roll the dice. You fall in love with a unit you see; as car guys, we get it. I hope whichever OP chooses - to keep or dump it back - that it all works out, because the GT350 is an amazing vehicle.

Last edited:

XFactor7889

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT Performance Package
Sorry it's not going to work out on this one. Once it's all resolved, assuming you're able, do share with us your overall experience with Vroom. I've seen mixed reviews of the customers' experiences with Vroom and I'm curious to know how it all went (thinking as a potential investor more-so than customer, but the customer experience will definitely dictate whether it's a strong investment). And good luck on your continued search! I hope you're able to find another one soon!
Sponsored