Sponsored

2022 Mustang Pricing and Options Announced (Australia)

Stevefreestyle

Blue Blood
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT 10Sp Auto, Velocity Blue
2022 Ford Mustang Pricing (Aust)

This represents an average $900 increase over 2021, which was a $200 increase over 2020.

2022 also sees the introduction of the "California Special" with a premium of $2K over the GT.

(excludes on-road costs): 21/12/21 Ford Performance line-up updated for 2022 | GoAuto

Mustang High Performance 2.3 Fastback $52,590 (2021 - 51,690)
Mustang High Performance 2.3 Fastback (a) $55,590
Mustang High Performance 2.3 Convertible (a) $61,890
Mustang GT Fastback $65,290 (64.390)
Mustang GT Fastback California Special $67,290 (new model)
Mustang GT Fastback (a) $68,290 ($67,390 =+$900)
Mustang GT Fastback California Special (a) $70,290 (new model)
Mustang GT Convertible (a) $75,990 (75,225)
Mustang GT Convertible California Special (a) $77,990 (new model)

"For Mustang, the flagship model of the Ford Performance range, we find a new GT California Special variant joining the local range alongside Line Lock functionality.

Paint colours change for 2022 with Yellow Peel, Antimatter Blue, Velocity Blue, Twister Orange, and Iconic Silver dropped from the palette. Two new colours, Mischievous Purple and Eruption Green, will be available from March production.

The full range of colour options now includes Race Red, Oxford White, Carbonized Grey, Shadow Black, Rapid Rd, Mischievous Purple, Eruption Green, Atlas Blue, Cyber Orange, Grabber Blue, and Dark Matter Grey. Metallic paint attracts a $650 premium.

Engine and transmission options remain unchanged.

But it’s the California Special (from $67,290, plus on-road costs) that arguably adds the most excitement to the updated MY22 Ford Mustang range.
Based on the Mustang GT Fastback and Convertible, the special cosmetic package is said to reference the original version’s black-out grille, side accent stripes and rear fender scoops.

The Mustang GT California Special also features an Ebony Black badge and Race Red script on the boot lid, a GT/CS denotation on the grille, and bespoke five-spoke 19-inch machined alloy wheels. The front-end also features a larger front splitter, with a performance rear wing available on the Fastback model.

Inside, the California Special wears rich black Miko suede door card inserts and suede-trimmed seats with GT/CS embossed logos and red contrasting stitchwork. The instrument panel is finished in carbon hex aluminium with a California Special badge placed on the passenger side.

The Mustang range is available with a variety of optional extras, including Recaro seats ($3000), Magneride suspension ($2750), forged alloy wheels ($2500), lustre nickel-alloy wheels ($500), body stripes in white or black ($650) and a high-rise spoiler ($750)."

https://www.goauto.com.au/new-models...-21/86661.html

Drewbo

WTF?
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Drew
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Fastback 6MT DIB
Vehicle Showcase
Cali Special.

2022 just might be the year I upgrade.

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
It's funny, I had a sneaking suspicion the California Special would be available to markets outside the US. Adding the Performance Pack as an option and using Bullitt wheels and grilles which have already been crash tested/homologated were a few clues.

But secretly, I was hoping it was coming to the UK too! If you buy into the retro charm of the Cali Special (I do!) I think this is good value over a stock GT.

https://www.whichcar.com.au/news/20...NNXzvO6DeJEwvgEqI58QCKerVL-eVgEqyBeNjD8REQtPo

OP
OP

Stevefreestyle

Blue Blood
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
It's funny, I had a sneaking suspicion the California Special would be available to markets outside the US. Adding the Performance Pack as an option and using Bullitt wheels and grilles which have already been crash tested/homologated were a few clues.

But secretly, I was hoping it was coming to the UK too! If you buy into the retro charm of the Cali Special (I do!) I think this is good value over a stock GT.

https://www.whichcar.com.au/news/20...NNXzvO6DeJEwvgEqI58QCKerVL-eVgEqyBeNjD8REQtPo
I was also curious if we would get the C/S, now it is confirmed, and am giving it some thought.

Two negatives for me are - No Pony in the Grill (Deleted) & the non-functional side Air "Scoops" (Brakes), and although OK, I am not massively over excited by the Retro wheels.

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
Yeah, I preferred the previous CS grille with the offset tri-bar pony emblem, but they use that on the Ecoboost High Performance instead.

The side vents......sure, they're fake, but they do hark back to the (fake) vents on the '68 version.

But I think the interior is worth the extra $$ alone :)

Sponsored

OP
OP

Stevefreestyle

Blue Blood
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Yeah, I preferred the previous CS grille with the offset tri-bar pony emblem, but they use that on the Ecoboost High Performance instead.

The side vents......sure, they're fake, but they do hark back to the (fake) vents on the '68 version.

But I think the interior is worth the extra $$ alone :)
My thoughts exactly, and the wheels are a point of difference (although I am not a huge fan).

However I just noticed the Tyres were Pirelli P-Zeros - I hope they have not dropped the brilliant Michelin PS4s !

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
However I just noticed the Tyres were Pirelli P-Zeros - I hope they have not dropped the brilliant Michelin PS4s !
Ford dropped the PS4s on the US Performance Pack for the '21MY, but we still got them here in the UK.

I'm sure export California Specials and GTs will come with the Michelins still.

OP
OP

Stevefreestyle

Blue Blood
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Ford dropped the PS4s on the US Performance Pack for the '21MY, but we still got them here in the UK.

I'm sure export California Specials and GTs will come with the Michelins still.
Yes, we still got the PS4s for the 2021s, hopefully you are right re the MY22 - again !

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
It looks like the "export" version of the California Special is a bit different to the US market model.

As well as the cosmetic differences, the US Spec CS does not, nor can be optioned with the Performance Pack that is standard here.

Not crazy on the the US spec wheels either -

mcs100.png

Sponsored
OP
OP

Stevefreestyle

Blue Blood
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
It looks like the "export" version of the California Special is a bit different to the US market model.

As well as the cosmetic differences, the US Spec CS does not, nor can be optioned with the Performance Pack that is standard here.

Not crazy on the the US spec wheels either -

mcs100.png
Wrong car. The Au C/S is as post above in Atlas Blue. Your pic is the US 4cyl

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
OP
OP

Stevefreestyle

Blue Blood
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
This is from the Ford US Media Site, however there are similarities to our RHD "Export", except our Gts have the Performance Pkg standard, although we get the 3.55 LSD not the "Torsen" LSD.

"California Special adds excitement with GT Performance Package option
Since the first-generation Mustang, the California Special has represented a uniquely regionalized appearance package with special styling cues. The updated 2022 Mustang GT California Special embodies this tradition.

Based on the 2022 Mustang GT Premium fastback and convertible models, the latest California Special Appearance Package pays homage to the original version’s blacked-out grille, side racing stripes and rear fender scoop.

The heritage-inspired “GT/CS” side stripe trademark traces from the front fender to the signature rear fender scoop. A California Special badge in Ebony Black and Race Red script adorns the trunk lid, while the honeycomb grille with “GT/CS” badge provides a unique look. A larger front splitter from the GT Performance Package underscores the icon’s handling prowess.

A performance rear wing from the GT Performance Package is available for the fastback model, while spoiler delete is standard for the California Special convertible. The California Special wears unique five-spoke 19-inch painted machined wheels. Under the hood, this special edition features a signature strut tower brace with California Special badge atop its 5.0-liter V8 engine.

Interior appointments include rich black Miko® sueded-trimmed door inserts and sueded-trimmed seats with the embossed “GT/CS” logo and red contrast stitching, along with custom embroidered “GT/CS” floor mats. The instrument panel is finished in carbon hex aluminum with a signature California Special script badge on the passenger side.

As a California Special-first, the GT Performance Package is now available, enabling greater handling and driving dynamics for the most capable California Special ever.

The GT Performance Package adds an array of performance and handling features including Brembo six-piston front brake calipers, unique chassis tuning with heavy-duty front springs, larger tubular rear sway bar, overall lower ride height, K-brace, strut tower brace, front subframe V-brace, TORSEN® limited-slip differential, unique stability control and electric power steering tuning. Staggered 19x9-inch front and 19x9.5-inch rear wheels with Pirelli summer tires further the handling grip.

The California Special is available in Atlas Blue, Carbonized Gray, Cyber Orange, Dark Matter, Grabber Blue Metallic, Iconic Silver, Rapid Red, Shadow Black and Oxford White."

2022 Ford Mustang Debuts First-Ever Stealth Edition, Adds GT Performance Package Option to California Special | Ford Media Center
Sponsored

Last edited: