Sponsored

Bought a used Mustang and I don't feel good about it, I need opinions and expert insights

Muhnopoly

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2020 mustang gt
I dont know much about out of country but in your country are you allowed to be catless? Here in California you MUST have cats and dealerships aren't allowed to see cars catless. For example if I had your car and traded it into the dealership they would either... have to install cats again or sell it at an auction. If your town/department of motor vehicles requires cats then go back to the dealership and tell them they must install cats for you otherwise they sold you an illegal car. That's my opinion. And I've seen from experience. I went to a dealership to look at a used ecoboost few years ago and they had the catless down pipe in the trunk because they had to put a catalytic converter back on before they sold it
Sponsored

nustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT, performance pak, active exhaust
changing transmission fluid is basic good maintenance on even a 'sealed' system.
Dealer wanted $677 here, local transmission shop $210 out the door. I watch him do it and he was quite thorough, as well as a new filter.
Car at times would hang between 1st and second on hard accel from stop.

There is an opinion high mileage trannys not have fluid changed as the dirt, mostly friction material, if flushed out will let the older trannys slip. 85K isnt high mileage.

All good now. Used Mercon 4 I believe ... I'd have to check - but the current OEM recommended fluid.

re cats .... no emission laws there? Surprised mechanics said all good with no cats - I'm sure they woulda at least mentioned it. Here you cant transfer car without an inspection and would fail with missing emissions components.
Seller has to fix it first.

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fiesta 1.25i, 2017 GB Ford Mustang GT PP Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Am I the only one who had encountered almost all of this issues without the CAT delete thing ? And consider all of this "issues" normal running conditions for the Mustang. Unstable RPM when Cold and even when hot and an idle vibration (dependant on fuel) are things that I face since day 1 of ownership car running perfect though. Left wheel hub issues I think I lost count on how many I changed by now even my dealer is not sure anymore and this guys keep computer records. What else transmission I have a MT82 so all of the issues OP described normal running conditions don't even get me started on MT82. From what I read around the forums and hear from dealership A10's are not different and could even be worse. With that in mind I think OP should just invest some love into the car and it should run good.

gadgtfreek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium Shadow Black 10spd Auto
Mine nibbles when cold. If I press the clutch in and go into first too fast it bumps a little. Other than that I can make screeching 1-2 and 2-3 shifts in this thing when hauling arse, it just eats. I dont have cold idle issues.

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
1997 Mustang (5.0 HO swap), 2019 Mustang GT PP1
Am I the only one who had encountered almost all of this issues without the CAT delete thing ? And consider all of this "issues" normal running conditions for the Mustang. Unstable RPM when Cold and even when hot and an idle vibration (dependant on fuel) are things that I face since day 1 of ownership car running perfect though. Left wheel hub issues I think I lost count on how many I changed by now even my dealer is not sure anymore and this guys keep computer records. What else transmission I have a MT82 so all of the issues OP described normal running conditions don't even get me started on MT82. From what I read around the forums and hear from dealership A10's are not different and could even be worse. With that in mind I think OP should just invest some love into the car and it should run good.
I can't speak for everyone but this car has given me no issues in the cold. It'll start right up after sitting outside for 9 hours in -15Ā° F ambient temps and drive like any other cold start. RPMs are stable, no bucking, no hesitation... only problem I have is that I'm f***ing freezing on those days.

Sponsored

KoreanKK

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
KK
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ecoboost 101A automatic
haha you made me log in. All those three points are just characteristics of this car!

1. Unstable RPM
- it is a 10 speed automatic thatā€™s aimed for both fuel economy and performance. It has pros and cons but one bad thing is that it always changes the gear. My 2009 sonata drives with way less jerks.
solution: try driving in manual mode. Fordā€™s a10 logic sucks.

2. Jerking while switching gear
- sorry that just happens to all the cars. Itā€™s not a problem to fix. It is what it is. It doesnā€™t damage the car either so donā€™t worry about it!!

3.4th to 5th switch jerking

-itā€™s also normal. Did you know that performance cars that shifts faster (usually dct transmissions) hits way harder than the way mustang does? It is also normal. No need to take your car to the shop!!

conclusion: everything sounds normal!! Lol, enjoy the car. Also try driving in manual mode; it is a much better car on manual mode. Enjoy your new ride and welcome to mustang ownership! šŸ˜‡

Firsttexan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2011 GT500 '19 GT PP1 '13 GT500, 98 GT, 92 LX 5.0
Vehicle Showcase
I don't have any of the issues he has. He just needs a tune and a good mechanic. Easier said than done where lives.

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I can't speak for everyone but this car has given me no issues in the cold. It'll start right up after sitting outside for 9 hours in -15Ā° F ambient temps and drive like any other cold start. RPMs are stable, no bucking, no hesitation... only problem I have is that I'm f***ing freezing on those days.
Same here. The coldest I've experienced so far was 10Ā° F. At that temperature it was perfectly stable, no hesitation at all.
If the idle were unstable, no matter under which circumstances, I would worry. There's no way I would consider it normal.

Last edited:

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fiesta 1.25i, 2017 GB Ford Mustang GT PP Premium
Vehicle Showcase
I don't have any of the issues he has. He just needs a tune and a good mechanic. Easier said than done where lives.
I'm guessing you are not running yours hard enough :) My post was mostly to point out that is nothing deal breaking just some love needed.

Paris MkVI

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium convertible, 2015 Escape 2.0 Titanium
Vehicle Showcase
Take all those mechanics who evaluated the car before you bought it off your list. It's pretty hard to excuse that NOT ONE OF THEM noticed or mentioned the aftermarket exhaust to you. That's ridiculous.
Sponsored