OP
OP
NO1CARES

NO1CARES

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GTPP 5.2 TH400
and install starter and shim accordingly.

Another thing i realized, the th400 has 20% drive-train loss and the mt82 has roughly 12.5% loss.

So to make the 1k whp with the 400, i need to squeeze another 100 horsepower from the engine.

I guess i'll be finishing my voodoo heads and install the 2.75 grip tech before you know it.

Anyone think this thing will run 8's?
Sponsored

Prymetime1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dion
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT/CS,
^^^IDK, but I am looking fwd to seeing you try! Great Build!

OP
OP
NO1CARES

NO1CARES

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GTPP 5.2 TH400
Last night, i decided to take it a bit easy and dig into some of the wiring details.

To be wired-
Clutch pedal bypass momentary button.
Trans brake button to relay control
Cooler fan switch and relay control
Transmission temp gauge

I was able to install the transmission dip stick. The lokar locking unit makes this very easy. I just need to put the top to the firewall.

Ordered farrells for the cooler hose fittings and started laying out the cooler position. I will need to either build a bracket and mount it to the old evap canister position or i can simply by the Jpc bracket.

The goal is to have the car back before November 2nd.

OP
OP
NO1CARES

NO1CARES

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GTPP 5.2 TH400
Last night, the car really fought me almost every step of the way.

Cooler mounting went pretty straight forward and I'm happy with the results.
cooler mount.jpg

Temp probe for the trans temp gauge was a pain. The pan already had a fitting installed but i wanted to verify it was sealed because it looked pretty suspicious. My concerns were right, majority of the threads were gone. But i was able to take a tapered fitting and get it to tighten up. I just had to use an addition adapter to get it down to 1/8 npt. Is it sealed? We will find out. I may just order a new pan if i can find a good one.
pantap.jpg

temp tensor.jpg

Also note; the ATI overflow catch can for the th400 will NOT work with a aftermarket bell unless spacers are added for clearance. Had no idea but i was able to make it work.
ati can.jpg

ati can spacers.jpg

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
NO1CARES

NO1CARES

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GTPP 5.2 TH400
I was able to get pretty much all of the mechanical items wrapped up friday night, 10/29 but ran short of PTFE hose for the cooler lines. I mid portion of the exhaust off just in case i run into a leak or something. This is simple to reinstall with the v bands. I did leave the mufflers hanging in position to understand the routing of the cooler lines.
rearlookingforward.jpg

coolerfromtheback.jpg

I also decided to pull the trigger on a new transmission pan. Thankfully ATI is just a short drive away from me and they had one in stock.
aticannewpan.jpg

Installed roughly 4 quarts of atf and no leaks have been found at this time. Can't wait to tighten up all the cooler lines and fire this thing up for the first time.

Last edited:
OP
OP
NO1CARES

NO1CARES

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GTPP 5.2 TH400
Saturday, after cleaning up all my tools. I gut the portions of the interior to allow access to the wiring for the cooler, trans brake, clutch bypass, and reverse switch.

The trans brake was simple but could be confusing because the button on the shifter was closed in the rest position. So i took a normally closed relay so that when the button was pushed (open) it would closed the relay and there for send 12v to the brake. This worked without an issue.

transbrakewiring.jpg

I mounted up the starter and to my surprise, nothing was required that i can see. I don't see a reason at this time why the starter would need shimmed. reused factory hardware also. I was happy about this considering I've needed to source almost every bolt for this install.

starter.jpg

I installed and positioned the transmission cooler relay and button, but i have not ran the 12v through the firewall.

Everything should be complete tonight for the dyno day tomorrow 11/2. I don't see myself actually making a pull with the car but i want to bring my car out in support of the shop.

Prymetime1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dion
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT/CS,
You make quick work of this swap man! Nice job. Congrats on the baby on the way too. Meant to comment on the blue burnout coolness!

OP
OP
NO1CARES

NO1CARES

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GTPP 5.2 TH400
You make quick work of this swap man! Nice job. Congrats on the baby on the way too. Meant to comment on the blue burnout coolness!
I try! only a one man show in a home garage with no lift.

Thank you! looking forward to adding a baby recaro racing seat to the car.

Prymetime1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dion
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT/CS,
I try! only a one man show in a home garage with no lift.

Thank you! looking forward to adding a baby recaro racing seat to the car.
I feel you man, working on your own stuff with limited resources can be tough. Your making it look....dare i say...easy??!?! Lol I built a v8/c4 ranger street rod on my back, on my driveway in a month trying to get it done before snow fell a few years ago, befor kids, lol. Now with 2 young ones, the street rod sits with virtually no time to work on it.....but they get older so... :) one day.

Keep at it!

Sponsored
OP
OP
NO1CARES

NO1CARES

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GTPP 5.2 TH400
I feel you man, working on your own stuff with limited resources can be tough. Your making it look....dare i say...easy??!?! Lol I built a v8/c4 ranger street rod on my back, on my driveway in a month trying to get it done before snow fell a few years ago, befor kids, lol. Now with 2 young ones, the street rod sits with virtually no time to work on it.....but they get older so... :) one day.

Keep at it!
Exactly I'm pushing so hard to get the car done before my boy comes. I'm hoping to do the cage and chassic cert before April also but the wife also wants counter tops sooooo. lol.

but i appreciate the motivation!

OP
OP
NO1CARES

NO1CARES

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GTPP 5.2 TH400
Quick update; Drove the car down the road for the first time with the TH400. First impressions are wow, its still fun to drive. Don't get me wrong, I will forever love stick shift racing and prefer it by far but when it comes to a high stall 400 with a manual valve body and a brake. I really do enjoy the feel.

Now i would love to go into a built t56 one day but I don't have funds for that and the th400 is plenty fun with potential. Did a minor street hit after getting some heat into the trans and multiple fluid level check and the 2-3 wot pull even short shifting feels very strong.

I'll be getting some videos and pictures soon. I still have more to finish up but so far so good!

Last edited:

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Very nice build ! I probably missed it, but what axle ratio are you running ?

OP
OP
NO1CARES

NO1CARES

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GTPP 5.2 TH400
Very nice build ! I probably missed it, but what axle ratio are you running ?
I swapped to a 3.31 at the beginning of this season and that is whats currently still in the car.

with the Th400 at 70 im seeing 3k rpm roughly. So its good on the highway but i didn't build the car to cruise the highway so i may go back to the 3.73. We will see.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
I swapped to a 3.31 at the beginning of this season and that is whats currently still in the car.

with the Th400 at 70 im seeing 3k rpm roughly. So its good on the highway but i didn't build the car to cruise the highway so i may go back to the 3.73. We will see.
If it's the stock 2.48 / 1.48 gear ratios I'd definitely go with 3.73.
Sponsored